My Q's red dot Leica logo installed with a bit of "flare"

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not a bit deal, but for a new $4,500 camera, I'd think the marquee Leica red dot logo would have been placed on my Q Titanium with a bit more accuracy.  On my camera, which I just purchased, the red dot is clearly not oriented so that the Leica script is level. Instead, as the attached photo shows, mine looks not quite correct.  I can live with it, but it looks a bit slanted upward.  I've e-mailed Leica Repair for their comment. Maybe they'll tell me how to remove and reinstall the red dot without damaging the camera front.

Any suggestions?  Live with it?  Try to fix it?  Ad a black dot instead?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Use your thumb to warm the glue behind the dot, takes a few minutes. After a while you will be able to twist the logo ever so slightly in to the right angle. If you want to do it quicker you can also use a hairdryer. Just be careful not to twist it off.

• Like 3

Use your thumb to warm the glue behind the dot, takes a few minutes. After a while you will be able to twist the logo ever so slightly in to the right angle. If you want to do it quicker you can also use a hairdryer. Just be careful not to twist it off.

I will try the hairdryer method.  Regards.

Leica tech support responded to my e-mail as follows: "We would use the wooden part of a Q tip to push / slide the logo into the correct position. 2 wooden tips one on each side; the wood will not scratch the top plate if you slip."

They forgot to mention that you have to warm up the glue to be able to move it. At least, if you warm it, there is less chance of scratching the surface. Just my opinion anyways.

Edited by matlep
  • Like 2

Personally I think that a $4500 camera should be at least visually perfect. After all one of the main reasons that we are paying such hefty prices is because we get a product which is hand made/finished in Germany (or Protugal). And the Germans pride themselves in perfection. So, at least for me, living with it is not an option.

Now, that idea of adding a black dot instead sounds quite good though :D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Not a bit deal, but for a new $4,500 camera, I'd think the marquee Leica red dot logo would have been placed on my Q Titanium with a bit more accuracy.  On my camera, which I just purchased, the red dot is clearly not oriented so that the Leica script is level. Instead, as the attached photo shows, mine looks not quite correct.  I can live with it, but it looks a bit slanted upward.  I've e-mailed Leica Repair for their comment. Maybe they'll tell me how to remove and reinstall the red dot without damaging the camera front.

Who cares, you gonna put a piece of tape to cover it anyway!

I'm just kidding of course, I removed mine to put a black logo, its easy to move/rotate once you warm it a little bit. I used a pen cap to remove mine, took 2 secs.

• 1 month later...

I know how you feel.  I just went through four Leica Q cameras to get one that did not say "System Error" when it was first turned on.  The first three, which were obviously returned,  all had slightly crooked logos.  The fourth, booted up correctly and has a perfectly aligned logo.  I have had many cameras, but never a Leica.  After getting one, I am really concerned that it is not really what I hoped for with respect to quality control.  I have this fear that my fourth will break.  Time will tell,

I know how you feel.  I just went through four Leica Q cameras to get one that did not say "System Error" when it was first turned on.  The first three, which were obviously returned,  all had slightly crooked logos.  The fourth, booted up correctly and has a perfectly aligned logo.  I have had many cameras, but never a Leica.  After getting one, I am really concerned that it is not really what I hoped for with respect to quality control.  I have this fear that my fourth will break.  Time will tell,

My Q is outstanding in every way and takes magical images.  Only the red dot logo is mounted a bit off.  Hope that you find your Q to otherwise be perfect.

Edited by Stonewall Brigade

No, didn't want to risk damage to fix something I can live with

I think you'll read on the forum that it's super easy to align it. Heat a little with a hair dryer and gently rotate. I've not done the proocedure, but it seems simple enough.

• 1 year later...

Who cares, you gonna put a piece of tape to cover it anyway!

I'm just kidding of course, I removed mine to put a black logo, its easy to move/rotate once you warm it a little bit. I used a pen cap to remove mine, took 2 secs.

Hi Voxen. I am thinking of doing the same. Is there anything behind the logo button like a space or adjustment screws like on the M cameras? If there is anything, I'll probably leave it alone otherwise. But it would be good to know that its easy if all I'm doing is replacing one small button in a dent on the camera's outer shell. Thanks, Mike