Your preferred JPEG setting?

Hoppe

Off.

Never used it, never will. DNG offers far more flexibility and image quality. 

Precisely,......................and having posted the original question in the SL forum, I assume (always a dangerous corse of action ) that we're talking about an SL, which of course prompts my next question: Why buy a camera of the caliber of the SL and then shoot in the JPEG format. If there are compelling reasons to shoot in JPEG, the at least do as Bill W. suggests and record your images in both formats.

JZG

• Like 2

I spent some time working with the SL's JPEG settings to determine how I could get usable exposures directly out of the camera. For mostly average scenes and color work, the defaults seem close enough; I went through several permutations of the settings for doing monochrome output but didn't come to anything conclusive there. 

Looking at some of the standard outputs, I suspect that if I were to use JPEG more I'd probably go the other way: pop up Contrast a notch, drop Saturation and Sharpness a notch. That leaves me more editing room with JPEGs ... it's always easier to add saturation and do a little bit of sharpening in post processing than to reduce them, but Contrast is trickier. 

Since the M-D (which I bought later) captures only raw files and I have since developed the workflow to process them on my mobile system (iPad Pro + PhotoRAW + SnapSeed or Photogene4), I switched the SL to raw only capture as well so that I can use just the one workflow for both cameras. 

• Like 1

Precisely,......................and having posted the original question in the SL forum, I assume (always a dangerous corse of action ) that we're talking about an SL, which of course prompts my next question: Why buy a camera of the caliber of the SL and then shoot in the JPEG format. If there are compelling reasons to shoot in JPEG, the at least do as Bill W. suggests and record your images in both formats.

I do agree with the notion of using both formats when JPEG is needed, but it has nothing to do with the caliber of the camera. I have worked jobs where JPEGs were all that were needed and what was needed was speed. Knowing how to set up the camera to get what you want in the JPEG files directly out of the camera means you can shoot the buttload of photos required in such situations and immediately transmit the results directly to the photo editor's server: you're done, move on to the next assignment, waste no time or storage space with the raw files because no one wants to spend the time to process them. 

It certainly has nothing to do with my personal photography, but this situation is there for many client jobs I've been contracted for. 

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I do agree with the notion of using both formats when JPEG is needed, but it has nothing to do with the caliber of the camera. I have worked jobs where JPEGs were all that were needed and what was needed was speed. Knowing how to set up the camera to get what you want in the JPEG files directly out of the camera means you can shoot the buttload of photos required in such situations and immediately transmit the results directly to the photo editor's server: you're done, move on to the next assignment, waste no time or storage space with the raw files because no one wants to spend the time to process them. 

It certainly has nothing to do with my personal photography, but this situation is there for many client jobs I've been contracted for.

Thank you so much for your kind suggestions as always. I greatly appreciate it.

SL's JPEGs are, if anything, undersaturated, compared to other cameras anyway.  Check out the charts on imaging-resource for details.  http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/leica-sl-typ-601/leica-sl-typ-601A5.HTM

Hmm. That's not my opinion ... I find that the JPEGs are just about the way I want them and that processing the raw files in ACR at the default creates cartoonishly over-saturated results. This says nothing about how measuring devices model the performance and a lot about our individual perceptions of image rendering. 

• Like 1

I spent some time working with the SL's JPEG settings to determine how I could get usable exposures directly out of the camera. For mostly average scenes and color work, the defaults seem close enough; I went through several permutations of the settings for doing monochrome output but didn't come to anything conclusive there.

Looking at some of the standard outputs, I suspect that if I were to use JPEG more I'd probably go the other way: pop up Contrast a notch, drop Saturation and Sharpness a notch. That leaves me more editing room with JPEGs ... it's always easier to add saturation and do a little bit of sharpening in post processing than to reduce them, but Contrast is trickier.

Since the M-D (which I bought later) captures only raw files and I have since developed the workflow to process them on my mobile system (iPad Pro + PhotoRAW + SnapSeed or Photogene4), I switched the SL to raw only capture as well so that I can use just the one workflow for both cameras.

Would you be so kind to adive me as follows:

- If I shoot in DNG+JPG, when I import photos to Ipad Pro, photos that are viewed in the Photo folder in Ipad Pro, are they DNG files or JPG files?

Would you be so kind to adive me as follows:

- If I shoot in DNG+JPG, when I import photos to Ipad Pro, photos that are viewed in the Photo folder in Ipad Pro, are they DNG files or JPG files?

JPG

I never use JPG in camera. But I have had a couple of projects where JPG only were requested. For one project I upped Contrast slightly, left Saturation as standard and Sharpness up slightly. For the other I needed to hand over B & W versions.

Where I don't need to supply JPG only, I use RAW all the time, one has so much more control over the file.

If you put your pictures out to Forums.. you face critics.

I find the JPG's are often fine from many cameras, and suitable for posting.  A few will comment on DR, skin tones, colours, etc, etc...

But usually most camera JPG's are pretty good.

Sure a slight tweak to your taste...but most people will be happy.  In my case, I might under-saturate by a touch in post processing...maybe some softening from a modern lens too....depends on the lens. With S lenses which I have not used I know I'd probably soften a bit.

all best...

• Like 1

Not sure of that. I was under the impression that bundled in the DNG file is a jpg for preview purposes. I may be wrong and no longer have an iPad to test that out.

IOS 10 apparently now supports DNG.

No idea how this works out in practice using Adobe's apps on the ipad pro though. Will have to experiment and see when I get time....

• Like 1

If you don't create a separate JPG, the only JPG you will see on an iPad will be the embedded low res JPG created for display on the rear screen - effectively a thumbnail. If you want a full JPG on you iPad then you must create it either in camera or from a DNG by a converter on the iPad.

But iPads are the work of the devil anyway. Get a real computer like the Surface Pro that will run full versions of LR, PS and C1. :)

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1