12585 H Leica Hood Question

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am doing the annual clean out. And sell all the stuff i am not using. I got curious about my 12585H lens hood. Se the pictures. It's a layer of black paint and red - brown copper (???) under.

On the few pictures i found it seems to me that they were done in Black Chrome?? So have you heard about this variation?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hello Hakan,

I have the same lens hood with the same black finish. 

It might be copper plating on an aluminium (?) lens hood because some materials bond better to copper than they do to aluminium.

I think that a lot of the black coatings from that time period were black anodized. I think that black chrome came somewhat later.

Best Regards,

Michael

• Like 1

Hello Hakan,

I'm not sure.

Generally I don't guess when I am answering questions but I do know that sometimes something will be plated with something else as an intermediate layer in order to have the following material adhere better.

I have the same lens hood & mine feels light enough to be an aluminium alloy. If it were entirely copper or brass or bronze it would most likely weigh noticeably more.

Sorry for the imprecise answer.

Best Regards,

Michael

• Like 1

It's listed and pictured in the Wiki. 

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/12585

The page in Laney referred to only says "All black. Engraved with either five or six focal length/aperture combinations and the catalogue number."

I only have the non-H version which appears indeed to be black chrome. 

I am doing the annual clean out. And sell all the stuff i am not using. I got curious about my 12585H lens hood. Se the pictures. It's a layer of black paint and red - brown copper (???) under.

On the few pictures i found it seems to me that they were done in Black Chrome?? So have you heard about this variation?

The 12585 is painted (enamel), not 'black chrome', and black chrome is usually done over a nickle plating. God only knows why Leica would copper plate anything.

Edited by pico