22228 Adapters

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The 22228 adapter was originally designed for mounting Leicaflex lenses on Leicinas, that had mounts similar to the M-series cameras. It became popular with Leica M cameras users as an adapter for Leicaflex lenses, and I remember having bought at a fair rebate a Leicaflex Super-Angulon 21mm f/3.4 to use it on a M4.

The earlier 22228 had a plastic release button, the later one a metal one.

On the old photos from my Fontenelle collection, it appears that later ones had also a red "L.C." engraving (Leica Camera?), and a slightly different inside manufacturing, including X-slotted securing screws.

Finally, the engraved code was "22228/500934" and, quite curiously, I never found a mention of a "500934" code.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

mmmhhh... this is a typical case that intrigues me... :) what is the meaning of that "500934" and the "L.C." in red ? For such a rather simple device ? Clearly they are factory original... a possible explanation is that the "original" 22228, made, as Pierre says, for the Leicinas with the first Leicaflex single cam lenses needed some slight modification to be universally used for any R lens on M cameras (see http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/1328-r-lenses-on-m/) ... maybe the last ones (built in times when Leicinas where, in practical, no more of interest) where already made to fit correctly M Cameras ("Leica Camera" indeed..L.C....) and were engraved specifically.

Another (vague) hipotesis is that 6 digits codes used to be typical of Leitz Microscope catalogs... some special models for some lab equipment ?

Btw... the double writing 22228/500934 seems rather common : I found 2 quickly on the Net.. one also with the original box, which too has the 2 codes , each written with a "tick box" as if the product could be ordered/delivered as 22220 or 5000934 :

22228 (X)

500934 ( )

But no sign of the L.C. engraving in red...

Edited by luigi bertolotti

Hello Everybody,

The utilization of "slotted" screws & "X" screws (Also sometimes called "phillips head" screws: Named after an English inventor named Phillips who first began using them in the 1920's.) usually is reflective of a transition in manufacturing technology where the "slotted" screws are easier to use for people who are fitting & adjusting 1 piece individually to another while the "X" screws are easier to use for assemblers who are taking pre-fitted & pre-matched pieces & simply joining them together. Often with motorized screw drivers. Time is money.

The 500934 code number may be from the Leicina's relationship to the Movie Industry.

Sometimes Companies use different numbering sequences in different fields.

Best Regards,

Michael

Indeed, looking at my various old catalogs, codes in the in the "22xxx" seems typical of Leicina (have a catalog of Leicina 8s... you can find accessories 22408 22409 22205 22209 22125... but it's "pre-Leicaflex times" and there is not 22228..)

While the specialized catalog for microscopes (1978) is full of 5xxxxx (6 digits) codes... even if can't find 500934...

I take the opportunity to illustrate this adapter with the Leicina Special 

one with an M lens in this case with a Tele Elmar 4_135 and the other
one with the "22228/500934" as it is engraved also with an R lens in this case 
a Telyt-R  4_250.
We have planned to make some trials with the the 800 and the 2x Apo extender...

• Like 11

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear Pierre,

You gave this answer in the past:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/127339-fontenelle-archive-11-the-elusive-22228-m-to-r-ring/

There is one for sale currently on E...

Thank you so much, Leicaiste. I knew I had published something, but I must confess I did not check. It is Luigi Crescenzi himself - a good friend of mine - who explained the meaning of "L.C.". And one more confession : I had totally forgotten the detail. And again a confirmation by my wife : age (83 this year) takes every day more out of my brain. But, luckily enough, I still take much daily pleasure in accessing the Forum site and even trying to positively contribute. And also remaining behind our beloved (not black taped as far as I am concerned) red dot, indeed!

• Like 1

Yes, it seems that Leitz Reflex lenses were prized for use on movie cameras beyond the Leicina. Here is an adapter from Beaulieu, for  Lieca R lenses to "c" mount.  But the ability to put a Leitz M lens on the Leicina was outstanding. And the 6-66 Optivaron is is a great lens to use.

I have 7 of the 500934/22228 adapters,  the ones with the red plastic release tab seem to quickly gave way to the metal chorme tab ( a similar change occurred with the Leicaflex SL, as the plastic tabs frequently failed).  In my survey, only the red plastic tab versions have the lettering filled in with white paint, all others are not so.  The one "L.C." that I have does have the late cross-point screws. I agree the 500934 was likely for microscopes, while the 22228 is a leicina number. I cannot imagine how a microscope adaptation would look, can anyone describe?  Why the box has two check options is a mystery, as I am not aware of any differences.

I have tried the Telyt 560 with 2x converter on the Leicina. As this is over the equivalent of a 6000mm lens on a 35mm camera, stability, vibration and thermal distorsion require attention.

Interesting topic, regards.

... Why the box has two check options is a mystery, as I am not aware of any differences...

I think it's simply a question of , let'say "sales/delivery management"... if a certain product, for commercial reasons, is sold with 2 different product codes (Leicina Catalog / Microscope Catalog) but delivered in exactly the same packaging, they design a unique box with the 2 codes , and check one when you have to fulfill an order, depending on which code has been ordered. I observed a similar (not same) situation on the boxes of the 21 and 28 viewfinders (SLOOZ/SBKOO 12007/12002) which exteriorly are identical... the box is the same , with dual writing for 21 and 28 , one of them "factory checked" by pen.

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1

The most interesting thing about this adapter is that when I asked Solms about it a few years ago, they said it was not a Leica product. They implied that it was made by another adapter producer that makes quality adapters for Leica and other quality camera manufacturers. Now there is a mystery for you. I remember being shocked as it had all the trappings of a leica adapter, that is well made, excellent fit and finish. I hate to throw a monkey wrench into this discussion but this was the time when many of us had just purchased the M240 and were waiting about a year for the Leica adapter to use our R lens in the new live view mode of the M (anyone remember those days?). Now maybe there was a translation problem, you know, German-Korean-English. But I remember asking the Bondo Camera (the Leica rep in Korea) repair person to repeat and he said again "Solms said that the adapter was not made by Leitz!"

Then I also remember Luigi Crescenzi saying that the L.C. on the adapter were his initials as he had arranged with Leitz to make 300 of these adapters. I remember this as I purchased my copy from him back in 2010 and asked him about why this was so expensive and whet the L.C. stood for. At the time he still had around 5 left to sell. I remember the adapter cost around $200 dollars at the time. This was four years before Leitz said it was not theirs but implied it was made by Novoflex. Of course when Leitz finally came out with theirs, it was double that price, but then it did come with a nice removable foot and Leitz quality box!

I will tell you the rest of the story. The Leica club here takes weekend trips to photogenic locations. Back then in December 2010 they went to Busan on the south coast, the second largest city in Korea. I brought my newly purchased R to M adapter purposely to take pictures at their all night drinking party. Photography during the day and drinking when the sun set. Well I pulled this outfit out...M9 or was it M8, R to M adapter and Summilux-R 1.4/80mm lens, my favorite at the time. I remember taking many pictures at f1.4. Then next day, after they had recovered, they asked to look at them. I was so embarrassed as none hit the focus correctly and I became "out of focus George!" I tried to excuse the problem by saying it was the SoJue we were drinking. That was the last time I did that but I never lived down that fiasco!

• Like 3

Incredible! I was certainly not looking for them, since I had even forgotten I had them left. I was just looking for some packthread to secure a box to be sent to one of our Forum's mates with the remains of my Leitz microscopy stuff, when opening a drawer, I first saw two Leica boxes containing two new "22228-L.C.", same as discussed above. As it seems to raise some interest, I immediately took pictures (two joined), and will offer them on the buy-and-trade site. Let's be generous : at the very price I paid to Luigi Crescenzi in 1993.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

My 22228 adapter also has the 500934 number, slotted screws and metal release tab. I use it regularly with my 60/2.8 Macro Elmarit R and Fuji M mount adapter on my Fuji XE-2. I plan on moving to the M10 soon, and I am sure I will find many of my R lenses to use on that body.

The 22228 adapter will need to be modified to accept some newer R lenses. It will vignette on full frame with long lenses  as it is made for the smaller film format. It is a better plan to use a new type adapter.

The 22228 adapter will need to be modified to accept some newer R lenses. It will vignette on full frame with long lenses  as it is made for the smaller film format. It is a better plan to use a new type adapter.

I had to mix parts of a 22228 (bayonet cut for the M6) and of a 22228 L.C. to use my ROM R lenses on the M240 when it came out.

On the card box there are all the ref. numbers for the Leicina Special adapters

• Like 1