Was Oscar Barnak jude?

I don't remember to ever ever read about a possible hebrew origin of Oskar Barnack... in Wetzlar, as in lot of other similar towns, there used to be a hebrew community and if I remember well some of them were even engaged in optical business (Palmos ?) : but of course this has nothing to do with Barnack, who wasn't a Wetzlar native.

Probably someone who is expert about history of German Hebrews can say if "Barnack" (of similar variants) used to be a Hebrew family name.

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1

Of the pictures I have seen of Barnack at work, out and about in Wetzlar and of his family, I cannot recall seeing anything suggesting Jewish religion or heritage. He did have two children, conrad and Johanna. There are pictures of the children taken with the UR around 1914 when they were both very young. I also found a photograph of Conrad taken after the war in the 1950's. There is still a Jewish cemetary in Wetzlar up the hill from the old factory in the old part of town.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Pardon, but what's the reason to ask for the believe of the inventor of the Leica camera?

Thomas

Fully agree with you, Thomas. The basic question is simply without any relevance nor interest. Point.

• Like 1