Ektachrome is coming back!

Keith (M)

sheets and medium format; those formats are certainly possible depending on the level of demand.

Bringing back a film is not as simple as you might think. There's a very significant R&D (Research & Development) that is necessary to re-formulate the product based on component availability and any equipment changes that have been made or any changes to environmental health and safety regulations. So the intent here is to bring back a daylight 100 speed Ektachrome film. Saturation levels and performance characteristics are still TBD at this point but in terms of the old Ektachrome it will certainly be along those same lines and we'll know more as we go along. 
T. J. Mooney Kodak's World Wide Product and Business manager for film at Kodak 

http://filmsnotdead.com/

• Like 3

sheets and medium format; those formats are certainly possible depending on the level of demand.

Bringing back a film is not as simple as you might think. There's a very significant R&D (Research & Development) that is necessary to re-formulate the product based on component availability and any equipment changes that have been made or any changes to environmental health and safety regulations. So the intent here is to bring back a daylight 100 speed Ektachrome film. Saturation levels and performance characteristics are still TBD at this point but in terms of the old Ektachrome it will certainly be along those same lines and we'll know more as we go along. 

T. J. Mooney Kodak's World Wide Product and Business manager for film at Kodak 

http://filmsnotdead.com/

thanks very much for this ..... just for the sake of having a little fun with the return of ektachrome, a great thing for me and and a wonderful confirmation that film has found its level of demand and there will be supply to meet it, what do you think distinguishes  ektachrome (let's just go with the last one made since we don't know what the next will really be like, as noted in TJ Mooney's statement, from say koadchrome or the other Fuji chromes currently on the market -- and how you would like to see it different or see it the same? I always saw Ektachrome as a more blue/green film that I liked at the time for the speed but preferred the Kodachrome look instead. If Kodak can make Ektachrome more Kodachrome like (if that's even possible), all to the better in my opinion .... you guys?

• Like 2

tI always saw Ektachrome as a more blue/green film that I liked at the time for the speed but preferred the Kodachrome look instead. If Kodak can make Ektachrome more Kodachrome like (if that's even possible), all to the better in my opinion .... you guys?

Exactly, Kodachrome was preferred except where it was too slow. I'd always considered Kodachrome towards red but OK, Ektachrome too blue, and Fujichrome too green.

The implication from Mooney is that it will probably be a little different.  Can't wait!

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Exactly, Kodachrome was preferred except where it was too slow. I'd always considered Kodachrome towards red but OK, Ektachrome too blue, and Fujichrome too green.

The implication from Mooney is that it will probably be a little different.  Can't wait!

The return of Ektachrome is the best news I have heard this year.

On your remarks above, Mark I agree 100%, except that, for me, I would remove the word "too" from each (being the eternal optimist).

A 1986 Ektachrome 64 selfie to celebrate...

31987369806_8dde8cff0a_c.jpgE003 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

• Like 5

The return of Ektachrome is the best news I have heard this year.

On your remarks above, Mark I agree 100%, except that, for me, I would remove the word "too" from each (being the eternal optimist).

A 1986 Ektachrome 64 selfie to celebrate...

31987369806_8dde8cff0a_c.jpgE003 by Eoin Christie, on Flickr

:-)

This exactly demonstrates my "too blue" comment for Ektachrome Eoin.  

Furthermore, Kodachrome's archive properties are superior to Ektachrome. 

Don't get me wrong. I'll be trying out "Ektachrome Nouvelle" as soon as it's available.

• Like 2

Don't get me wrong. I'll be trying out "Ektachrome Nouvelle" as soon as it's available.

Yes. I look back at my Ektachrome slides from the early 70s and the color has clearly shifted while the Kodachrome looks exactly the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'd be excited to shoot Ektachrome again, I have a few shots from Peru in the 90's using it and they had terrific colours, example below. 

But this will mean by the end of 2017 we will have, potentially, 3 manufacturers of E6 (Fuji, Kodak, Ferrania), where we currently have one. Despite the claim about the resurgence in analog photography, I am pessimistic there would ever be enough demand for E6 to support 3 makers. Would be nice to think so though !

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

I'd be excited to shoot Ektachrome again, I have a few shots from Peru in the 90's using it and they had terrific colours, example below.

But this will mean by the end of 2017 we will have, potentially, 3 manufacturers of E6 (Fuji, Kodak, Ferrania), where we currently have one. Despite the claim about the resurgence in analog photography, I am pessimistic there would ever be enough demand for E6 to support 3 makers. Would be nice to think so though !

Big film users in the past in terms of volume have long ago swapped into using their phones as cameras and they are swapping back. I am just happy enough demand has settled in and will now grow enough over time for firms to offer new films with a rationalized cost structure for how many rolls they will realistically sell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

My go to slide film was always Kodachrome. I spent a year travelling when I was younger and just used Kodachrome - I mailed the film off for processing and put my home address down for its return, very convenient!

I too found Ektachrome a 'blue' film, and Fuji 'green'. I'd use them less often and more specifically. Agfa chrome was another nice film and quite neutral.

None were better or worse, it was the character of the films and down to choice. As we don't have so much choice maybe Kodak will try for a more neutral film or maybe they will want to try to get close to the original.

Maybe the new Ektachrome will have its own look, I can't wait to find out what it will be!

• Like 3

I guess the colour cast would have been a stronger point twenty years ago, where I assume, that most films these days go over the film scanner (mine at least do). The last time my projector got out, it got carried by the guy who broke into my cellar room. It got replaced by a film scanner....

My lab takes 5 EUR for a single film development (scanning costs extra), regardless, if E6 or C41. Larger numbers get lower prices, one hour processing costs extra. This link is in German, but anyhow probably of limited use for most of you...

Stefan

• Like 2

I was always a big user of Ektachrome with my Leicaflex SL and M4-P...But this kind of 'too blue' I have never had....

Leica lenses perform excellent with Ektachrome...In some light situations there is a certain character of 'too blue'.

My 40 years old Ektachrome slides still looks like brand new :)

Edited by Joop van Heijgen
  • Like 2

Do you really think that with the renaissance of Ektachrome there might be still a need or chance for a comeback of Ferannia?