Camera vs Lens

Advertisement (gone after registration)

New member, forgive me if this is an already discussed topic.

I have been using my beloved M3 for a long time paired with a Voigtlander 40mm f1.4. I have been saving enough money to finally "upgrade" to a 50mm Summicron but lately have been thinking about getting an M6.

I can't afford both, would you upgrade to M6 with VC 40mm (which I really like) or keep the M3 and buy the Summmicron? As I am writing this I feel like I am answering my own question but would still love some feedback from much more experienced Leicamen than me.

I mostly make documentary/lifestyle photos with the random landscape here and there. 80% with Ilford HP5

Thank you

Leica M3 DS 1958

Voigtlander 40mm f1.4

Fuji X-T1

Fuji XF 35 f2 WR

Hi Lorenzo, get the Summicron as you already have the best camera. I have the M6 TTL. It's only better if you need to go wider and faster. If I have a choice I mostly pick up the M3 first. It's in my work bag now with a 50, 90 + 135 + 21 with finder. It's always ready for any opportunity.

Best wishes

Christopher

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Christopher, that's what I meant by I am answering my own question...I think I agree with you...I have a few v3 and v4 that I am watching and waiting to pay the right price.

Do you have a Leicameter? It couples with the shutter speed dial and sits in the accessory shoe. I use it on difficult days. The CDS version is very good.

If you ever think of getting a 90mm. Be careful some have soft lens coatings, esp those made in Canada and are often poor examples.

Enjoy!

Best wishes

Christopher

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You will notice the difference in the results easily if you take the Summicron.

Nothing will change if you take the M6TTL. All you get is some convenience like faster loading and unloading etc.

The M3 has the best 50mm view finder ever made, so you will not gain anything there.

• Like 3

You will notice the difference in the results easily if you take the Summicron.

Nothing will change if you take the M6TTL. All you get is some convenience like faster loading and unloading etc.

The M3 has the best 50mm view finder ever made, so you will not gain anything there.

Decision is made...thank you so much for the help...M3 stays (forever) now on the hunt for the right 50mm Summicron

• Like 2

Decision is made...thank you so much for the help...M3 stays (forever) now on the hunt for the right 50mm Summicron

you made the right decisiion. the M6 wouldnt change a thing on the way you take pictures.

but maybe selling the 40 lens after getting the summicron will help you refunding an Elmarit-M 90/2,8. that would really give you some new opportunities.

• Like 1

An excellent decision. The M3 pairs perfectly with the 50mm. There is no other Leica M with the same viewfinder.

Everyone, over time, develops a preference to a particular focal length.  Before selling your Nokton, which is a wonderful lens that is, in effect, a tight 35, you might want to borrow or rent a 50 to see how it feels to you.  I, personally, find a 50 too tight for most street shooting.  The Nokton is also a stop faster, which is a bigger deal when shooting HP5 at box speed,  and a smaller lens, which might make a difference to you.  

I love Leica lenses, have several, and like shooting them on my M2 and M3.  My Nokton is remarkably similar to my 35 pre-asph lux. But I find that my preferred focal length is 40mm and I like having the speed of the Nokton.   If I'm going out with one lens, that's the one on my camera. 

I understand the lure of Leica glass.  But try out that 50 before you buy it. You may already be shooting your favorite lens.

Good decision to keep your M3!

Looking for an affordable Leica with built in Meter & 40 mm frame?

Go for Leica CL or Minolta CLE!

BUT: Leicameter coupelt onto your M3 is a must: much more comfortable to work with than M6 with it's time dial.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/leicameter.htm

Thomas

Edited by duckrider

iMO the Leica CL is a very good rangefinder, and very compact too. But it is far from the view finder of the M6 let alone the VF in the M3.

About the Summicron C - 40mm. It is one of the most compact Leica M lenses and the most compact Summicron ever. It is very good, also on digital bodies. For the M3, I feel it is a bit too wide since I think you have to use the full view finder and maybe even then it does not show everything. But if you are used to the Nokton 40mm on the M3, it probabably works for you.

I did not try the Nokton yet, so I can not compare directly. The 40 Summicron is very sharp, even wide open, with less contrast, compared to the 50mm v4, about on par with the v3, more contrasty than the v1,v3. The 50mm v1,v2 feels a bit smoother to me in the colors/rendering department.

For some reason I like the rendering better than the 50mm v3, although I can not really point at a reason.

The 50mm v4 has more contrast and sharpness, and is better overall, but the 40mm summicron is only half the size, so I often prefer it when I want to 'travel light' with the M9. What I mean is that I just put the M9 with lens mounted in my coat pocket.

The 50mm v1 is the only other summicron that will fit the pocket (in collapsed state), but the 50 v1 is heavier and has a less modern way of rendering, so the 40mm is mounted more often when I take it out this way.

• Like 1

iMO the Leica CL is a very good rangefinder, and very compact too. But it is far from the view finder of the M6 let alone the VF in the M3.

About the Summicron C - 40mm. It is one of the most compact Leica M lenses and the most compact Summicron ever. It is very good, also on digital bodies. For the M3, I feel it is a bit too wide since I think you have to use the full view finder and maybe even then it does not show everything. But if you are used to the Nokton 40mm on the M3, it probabably works for you.

I did not try the Nokton yet, so I can not compare directly. The 40 Summicron is very sharp, even wide open, with less contrast, compared to the 50mm v4, about on par with the v3, more contrasty than the v1,v3. The 50mm v1,v2 feels a bit smoother to me in the colors/rendering department.

For some reason I like the rendering better than the 50mm v3, although I can not really point at a reason.

The 50mm v4 has more contrast and sharpness, and is better overall, but the 40mm summicron is only half the size, so I often prefer it when I want to 'travel light' with the M9. What I mean is that I just put the M9 with lens mounted in my coat pocket.

The 50mm v1 is the only other summicron that will fit the pocket (in collapsed state), but the 50 v1 is heavier and has a less modern way of rendering, so the 40mm is mounted more often when I take it out this way.

Amazing insight...I am learning quite a bit...but possibly making my decision even more difficult.

• 2 weeks later...

If the M3 is in good working order and you are used to operate it (film loading, metering handheld, knob rewind), keep it and upgrade / buy an additional lens instead.

The M6 will take identical photographs, it has a different finder (much worse when shooting 50/90/135, much better when shooting 28/35/75).

The M6 will be just as capable as the M3 but will load and rewind much faster - if that is something you think about, think first if the upgrade/ side-grade cost are worth the cost to you.

To me an additional or "better" lens is always more interesting than a different body (which in case of M3 vs M6 will produce identical quality photographs if the actual functional differences do not matter to you).

A M6 can be easily motorized or used with much easier (and much cheaper) available Leicavit bottom winders.

I am a big fan of the ingenious Leica rapid loading introduced since the M4 - apart from a Nikon F5 or F6 it is by far the fastest, easiest and most reliably loading film camera available - again: does the M3 loading bother you to pay for an upgrade?

The 40/1.4 is a versatile and capable lens but there is a vast choice of different lens options out there (it must not be a Summicron after all).

Think carefully by looking at your favorite photographs you took with the 40/1.4 if there is anything you would really miss about this lens if you sell it.

Look at photographs made with the lenses you are interested in and see if you can find anything that would bother you.

I would personally keep the M3, sell the 40/1.4, get a nice 50mm (choices are enormous and depend on what you want to do with that lens) and a 90/2.8.

• Like 1