What should be the next SL len?

Hoppe

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's hard to evaluate two products when one (or neither) is available to test. :)

From an ideal standpoint, and looking at what I do with and what I use with the M-D, the pairing of 35/75 mm lenses seems close to ideal for my kind of street shooting. But it will be a while yet before the native 35 and 75 SL lenses are available. There are other occasions when I find the 50 alone to be best, and occasionally pair it with a 28mm, too.

So it's a pig in a poke ... hard to make a recommendation. Certainly there's no hard and fast rule that says the SL24-90 cannot be used for street shooting. I'd get a piece of artist's tape and tape the zoom ring at 50mm, at 35mm, at 28mm, at 75mm, etc, and spend a few days/weeks making photos are each 'locked' focal length setting to see what motivates you best.* Then either wait for the SL lens in the focal length you want or buy an R or M lens in the focal length to work with until the SL system lens is available.

* I tend to work with a zoom lens differently from how I work with a fixed focal length lens. So, for me, locking the focal length is necessary so that I don't fall into zoom lens habits.

Greatly appreciate your kind suggestion.

A suggestion : This summer i have done street in crowded situation using sl with 24/90 and ... iphone connected to the camera ! Nice experience..  as you walk looking the phone  but framing the the camera on the other hand , using the imagine on the phone  !!  nobody  can immagine this !!  so , the size of the camera it dose not matter..

• Like 1

Have you had a look at the Iberit lenses ? Probably fitting your description, but IQ is still an unknown. (also weather sealing).

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1303305-REG/handevision_3524_lcsl_b_iberit_35mm_f_2_4_for.html

Oh, I see it has no image, so maybe this link: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1303277-REG/handevision_3524_lcm_b_iberit_35mm_f_2_4_for.html

There are currently 5 lenses available:

http://leicarumors.com/2016/11/29/handevision-to-start-shipping-their-new-full-frame-iberit-lenses-for-leica-m-mount-in-december.aspx/

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by steppenw0lf

I would like a compact, manual focus and aperture SL or M mount 28mm or 35mm f2.8 lens with the same level of weather sealing as the SL.

I don't believe that the Iberit lenses are weather sealed any more than Leica M, Zeiss ZM, or Voigtländer M lenses are. That said, Leica has said that the M lenses are quite weather proof due to the tight tolerances and fine threaded focusing helicoid and lubricants; the only area of questionable sealing is the lens mount. Beyond that, the only practical, real option that guarantees SL class weather sealing is to wait for the SL mount dedicated prime lenses to ship.