What should be the next SL len?

Hoppe

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm a beginner in SL system. Own the 24-90mm.

As I think of not using the zoom len all the time, so what should be my next len to get for street/portrait photography? I'm considering the Summilux 50mm SL or Sumicron 35mm SL?

Your suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

It is traditional on any web forum for responses to simple questions to be along the lines of "you've asked the wrong question - what you really want is........"

So my first response is that IMO the SL is not a good camera for street photography: too large, too indiscreet etc.

My second response is that if you must use the SL, then the 24-90 zoom is an excellent range and has excellent functionality for street photography and, given the natural limitations of the street, you will not notice any difference in IQ compared to a prime. I realise that you may prefer a wider aperture.

My third response is that, if you want one lens for street and portrait, then, in your shoes, I'd wait for the Summicron-SL 75. I'm waiting for the Summicron-SL 90 just for portrait, but I'm certainly happy using my Apo-Summicron-M 75 just for street (on the M).

My fourth response is that the Summicron-SL 35 will not be available until Spring 2018, so if you must have something from your list now, then you have a choice of one - the 50.

:p

• Like 3

It is traditional on any web forum for responses to simple questions to be along the lines of "you've asked the wrong question - what you really want is........"

So my first response is that IMO the SL is not a good camera for street photography: too large, too indiscreet etc.

My second response is that if you must use the SL, then the 24-90 zoom is an excellent range and has excellent functionality for street photography and, given the natural limitations of the street, you will not notice any difference in IQ compared to a prime. I realise that you may prefer a wider aperture.

My third response is that, if you want one lens for street and portrait, then, in your shoes, I'd wait for the Summicron-SL 75. I'm waiting for the Summicron-SL 90 just for portrait, but I'm certainly happy using my Apo-Summicron-M 75 just for street (on the M).

My fourth response is that the Summicron-SL 35 will not be available until Spring 2018, so if you must have something from your list now, then you have a choice of one - the 50.

:p

Greatly appreciate your kind suggestion.

I would further add that choice between 35 and 50 for street photography is a personal thing and how it suits your photographic practice - there is no correct answer. FWIW I am more likely to use a 35 than a 50 for street, but then I usually carry two lenses, 28+75, and only take the 50 if I carry just the one.

• Like 1

I have a suggestion...

For street stuff... buy a Q. Perfect size and I love the focal length. 28mm is nice and wide... and the files stand up nicely when you want to crop.

Edited by Donzo98
  • Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I have a suggestion...

For street stuff... buy a Q. Perfect size and I love the focal length. 28mm is nice and wide... and the files stand up nicely when you want to crop.

i had the Q for that very reason but sold it as I didn't like the focal length .........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I'm in the 35 to 50mm camp for street. I have the 35mm sumerlux which is great for street on the S as you can shoot at ISO3200 f4 or 5.6 and set the Hyderabad phocus to 8 to 10 feet and just shoot away........ everything sharp

• Like 2

I'm in the 35 to 50mm camp for street. I have the 35mm sumerlux which is great for street on the S as you can shoot at ISO3200 f4 or 5.6 and set the Hyderabad phocus to 8 to 10 feet and just shoot away........ everything sharp

Bangalore focus is better.

Not a lot of people know that.

• Like 3

I agree with Neil; I like the 35 for street and for the same reason.  At f2.8..8 feet away, you get a ~3ft DOF; at f5.6 it's 6 feet.   Shooting using zone/hyperfocal focusing, the 35 becomes point and shoot while having the right amount of reach without having to be on top of your subjects.  If I'm looking to capture more of a scene with multiple subjects (3-4), I go for the 35mm.  If I'm looking to capture single subjects (1-2), I'll go for the 50mm.  

• Like 1

I'm not sure that the 50mm fSLm ocuses fast enough for "street".  This is fairly sharp, but not critically so:

Nope, AF is not fast enough...

When shooting wide open, you will have to prepare, prefocus and make use of the fast frame rate.

How is MF with the Summilux SL - similarly smooth as with M lenses?

• Like 1

I'm a beginner in SL system. Own the 24-90mm.

As I think of not using the zoom len all the time, so what should be my next len to get for street/portrait photography? I'm considering the Summilux 50mm SL or Sumicron 35mm SL?

Your suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

It's hard to evaluate two products when one (or neither) is available to test. :)

From an ideal standpoint, and looking at what I do with and what I use with the M-D, the pairing of 35/75 mm lenses seems close to ideal for my kind of street shooting. But it will be a while yet before the native 35 and 75 SL lenses are available. There are other occasions when I find the 50 alone to be best, and occasionally pair it with a 28mm, too.

So it's a pig in a poke ... hard to make a recommendation. Certainly there's no hard and fast rule that says the SL24-90 cannot be used for street shooting. I'd get a piece of artist's tape and tape the zoom ring at 50mm, at 35mm, at 28mm, at 75mm, etc, and spend a few days/weeks making photos are each 'locked' focal length setting to see what motivates you best.* Then either wait for the SL lens in the focal length you want or buy an R or M lens in the focal length to work with until the SL system lens is available.

* I tend to work with a zoom lens differently from how I work with a fixed focal length lens. So, for me, locking the focal length is necessary so that I don't fall into zoom lens habits.

• Like 2