M type 262 or Q. Need advice

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello folks!

I'm asking for your advice on what camera to pick on <4500 £ budget for street photography.

Actually The Q fits perfectly my needs and I did not even looked up at M series because they were out of my budget (body + lens), but recently I accidentally spotted Entry Set Leica M262 with 35mm f2.4 ASPH, SF40 Flash, M-System Bag for just 5000 £ and that changed everything.
I like colors from M more then Q, but Q has better lens out of the box, also M body is more flexible and I could buy other lenses later.

What you guys think? I would appreciate for any advice.

P.S.
The way Leica produces the prices drives me crazy

Confusing stuff:
The M262 bundle costs only 500 £ more then m262 itself, while the lens + flash + bag are much above then 500 £ (why ?!).
Equivalent to the Q, M lens (at least Summicron-M 28mm f / 2 ASPH-M) costs £ 3,000. It's almost entire Q price.
Leica Q in a different color with a strap costs 500 £ more then a regular one. 500£ STRAP?!))
Edited by kamilmanafov

That's a tough decision. I have the Q and M246, and before that the M240. The Q is amazing. I could live with it as my only camera if had to pick one. I think I would choose that over the M262 at this juncture unless you are unsure about getting stuck at 28mm. And if you decide later you want a system camera, can always move up.

• Like 1

Confusing stuff:

The M262 bundle costs only 500 £ more then m262 itself, while the lens + flash + bag are much above then 500 £ (why ?!).
Equivalent to the Q, M lens (at least Summicron-M 28mm f / 2 ASPH-M) costs £ 3,000. It's almost entire Q price.
Leica Q in a different color with a strap costs 500 £ more then a regular one. 500£ STRAP?!))

Bundles are a sure sign that there is a new model on the way to replace the M262. Car manufacturers do the same when the are running down an old model, with added goodies.

The Q lens and the M lens cannot be compared. One is hand made in Germany, the other, probably isn't. (Not that the Q lens is in any way a poor lens)

The different colour is most likely a special edition, and can therefore command a premium

Bundles are a sure sign that there is a new model on the way to replace the M262. Car manufacturers do the same when the are running down an old model, with added goodies.

The Q lens and the M lens cannot be compared. One is hand made in Germany, the other, probably isn't. (Not that the Q lens is in any way a poor lens)

The different colour is most likely a special edition, and can therefore command a premium

Well, on my Q it says made in Germany. Not part of it made there. Not that that matters as all Leica lenses are made to specs. Many a fine Leica lens made in Canada. I would judge the quality of a lens by what it produces. All one needs to do is look at the photos on the Q forum. It does not disappoint this long time M user.

Well, on my Q it says made in Germany. Not part of it made there. Not that that matters as all Leica lenses are made to specs. Many a fine Leica lens made in Canada. I would judge the quality of a lens by what it produces. All one needs to do is look at the photos on the Q forum. It does not disappoint this long time M user.

I think that Andy's point is that the cost of the Q lens may be cheaper due to being possibly made elsewhere as are the T lenses.

We know for fact that M lenses are hand assembled in Germany with all of the cost that implies.

As for 'Made in Germany' that only means that a certain amount of production or assembly was carried out in Germany. I doubt, for example, that the sensor, LCD or battery is made in Germany.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello folks!

I'm asking for your advice on what camera to pick on <4500 £ budget for street photography.

Actually The Q fits perfectly my needs and I did not even looked up at M series because they were out of my budget (body + lens), but recently I accidentally spotted Entry Set Leica M262 with 35mm f2.4 ASPH, SF40 Flash, M-System Bag for just 5000 £ and that changed everything.

I like colors from M more then Q, but Q has better lens out of the box, also M body is more flexible and I could buy other lenses later.

P.S.

Confusing stuff:

We can only tell you what we would do. Given those choices and assuming the extra cash is available I'd choose the M as the more flexible option and better longer term choice - when the Q dies the lens is scrap, but the M lens will keep serving you well.

But if you prefer AF, a 28mm lens and less expense go for the Q.

• Like 2

It is a difficult choice. I have both the Q and the M240. Some of the features of the Q make it very useful for street photography. The touch-the-screen-to-focus-and-trip-the-shutter setting and the remote use with a smart phone App for instance.

I would feel limited by having the Q alone, but then, I've gravitated to mainly using a 50mm. Also, I enjoy using the older Leica lenses for my photography. My advice is get the more versatile M262.

Pete

• Like 2

My advice is get the more versatile M262

I agree with Pete insofar as the M262 offers a more versatile (and demanding) platform for both the immediate and for the future.

Perhaps the M262 is not everyones favourite M due to the so called "Zen" like, back to basics characteristics and of course, no Live View or Video.

On a personal note and as an M262 user, wonderful camera with a stripped back specification that I for one enjoy immensely.

Regards and best wishes,

David

During the autumn I found myself in a similar situation attracted by the M262 bundles having finally found myself in the position to afford one. I had hankered after an M for many years.

In the end I didn't buy a bundle because the dealer LeicaStore Manchester didn't have any available or which were deliverable within a reasonable time period. In the end I bought a M262 with a f2 35mm Summicron. My initial use of the M262 was somewhat disappointing I had been expecting perfectly exposed JPGs as I was getting from my X1/X-Vario and V-Lux 3. 

However, quite a few good people on this forum put me right and persuaded to me to switch to DNG and use Lightroom to create my JPGs - since then I have not looked back.

You can read all about what happened on this thread:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/265350-new-m262-disappointing-exposure-problems/

I am now a very happy M262 users - in fact the other cameras have seen very little use. I find the M262 with the 35mm Summicron to cover much of the shooting. Of course it doesn't replace the V-Lux 3 for long distance shots of ships but for everything else the M262 it ticks all the right boxes.

I am glad I didn't buy the Q, it had been considered, I would not really have been getting that much more that I could achieve with the X-Vario at 28mm except a wider aperture and full frame sensor.

The M has so much more potential and I have enjoyed the reversion to manual focus something I have not experienced for 20 years when I sold my last manual focus SLR. 

I am currently saving up for another lens and reckon the M262 will be my main camera for many years!

John

• Like 1

I have a Q and an M 262 and the Q is collecting dust now.

Interesting.  I, too, have a Q and an M 262.   The M has a 75mm lens mounted.  The camera I grab often becomes a matter of focal length selection.   Sometimes I grab both.  Since I've had both I've used the Q about twice as often as the M.  That is because I prefer wider shots most of the time.

If I was forced to get rid of one I'd probably keep the M because it is more versatile.   Of course I'd have to then add a 28 or 35 mm lens.

• Like 1

Go for the M.

Handling is different, your process of taking pictures will be different. And it is more flexible.

In terms of long term value it is also the best option.

The Leica Q is not going to last for ever. As is the M262. It is Leica of course, so some people might use it for 10 years, but even then...

When the M262 becomes obsolete, you will still have a splendid M-lens to be mounted on a new body. With the Q you will have a nice paper weight with a useless lens attached to it.

Look at the Leica Digilux 2. It was very expensive in its day and has a superb lens. But its 5MP makes its use limited, although it still has a hardcore fan-club after 12 years.

OTOH, I am still enjoying my Leica Summicron lenses from the 50's and 60's on my M9 today, they do not feel obsolete at all!

With regards to the price difference. Any M lens will be very expensive compared to a non RF coupled lens like the one on the Q. It does not mean that the optical quality is better, but certainly the mehcanical quality and precisionof a Leica M lens is the best Leica has on offer.

This is the price one pays for interchangeable lenses with the best manual focussing system there is. (IMO)

• Like 1

Thank you guys for your replies, much appreciate!

So far I've decided to wait till the end of January to see what Leica will announce. It might be a good opportunity to get a discount for previous models or to get a new one on the same price.

Tried m240 yesterday and I like it! Missed almost 80% of shots on focus but practise makes perfect right?  :D  :D

• Like 1

Thank you guys for your replies, much appreciate!

So far I've decided to wait till the end of January to see what Leica will announce. It might be a good opportunity to get a discount for previous models or to get a new one on the same price.

Tried m240 yesterday and I like it! Missed almost 80% of shots on focus but practise makes perfect right?  :D  :D

As far as the M262 goes, I wouldn't expect much in terms of announcements. It's the M240 that's due for a replacement and that's going to be priced well above what the M262 costs.

The M262 is only a year old. It may be in production another 1-2 years at least.

Hello folks!

P.S.

Confusing stuff:

Curious .....What camera you are using now?

The M is wonderful and as you said manual focus takes some getting used to.....after  a while it becomes second nature.

Do you only shoot street photography or is this a general purpose camera as well?

Is there a reason it has to be Leica? You can spend a lot less and still get great street photos. Do you currently make large prints?

I'm trying to save you from the Leica addiction  :) 

........Welcome to the Forum

• Like 1

If new is a priority, I would recommend the M262 + 35/2.4 in black chrome.  You will develop muscle memory for focusing the lens quickly enough, plus for street, you'll likely use hyperfocal at a middle aperture anyway.

If you're not adverse to used, you may wish to pick up an old M8 and a 28/2.8.  This will give you rangefinder practice with little to no depreciation.  The primary limits are high ISO and the required UV/IR filter on the lens, otherwise they are great cameras and also produce some stunning B&W results.

Would recommending a rental or borrow be out of place?  Try both.

Eric

• Like 1

For me, the main question would be: Do you need/want AF to get your results? The M is a much more demanding camera to get candid shots.

All the rest, price, focal lengths, value, lens performance etc. is second to that question.

If you decide you would like to go for the M, why not get a used M240 and an older Summicron?

Heiko

• Like 1