I bought an S...

mmx_2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all!

I was made an offer that was to good to turn down so now I own an Leica S (typ 006). Some questions:

*How do I determine when it was produced? SN is 4686954

*It came with "Leica protection plan". If there is still time left on it, do I need to register it somewhere?

*Obviously I need a lens new and I'm thinking of getting the Summarit 70, but I'm also offered the HC 80 2.8 (and some other HC lenses) at very attractive prices, so, are the HC-lenses "on pair" with the Leica or is it better to go for the Summarit? Price of lens plus adapter is in the range of 1800eur.

Regards,

Joakim

Hey, welcome!

The HC lenses are not on par with the Leica counterparts, especially the 80 2.8 is a lot behind the 70 2.5 (I've compared them head to head) 

Some lenses of course might be interesting, because they simply don't exist in Leica versions like the 300mm 4.5 HC lens.

I'd say go get the Leica 70mm

The following I wrote might be of interest to you:

General article about the Leica S system (also with some information about the adapters available for the Leica S bodies) :http://jipvankuijk.nl/the-leica-s-typ-006/

Article about using Contax 645 lenses on the Leica S bodies with adapter: http://jipvankuijk.nl/leica-s-with-contax-645-lenses/

Article about a photoshoot, with Leica S and 70mm: http://jipvankuijk.nl/a-cut-and-shave-at-schorem-rotterdam/

• Like 1

Congrats ! Of course it depends on what kind of photography you prefer. The 70 is the "normal" and extremely good, the 100 is the portrait lens - relatively light and walk-around size, the 120 a bit longer+macro but heavy, the 24 is fantastic but probably not your only lens, the 45 is supposed to be good but I haven't had it. The zoom is versatile, but only f/3,5-5,6 which limits it to good daylight on the S006.

I would look around opportunistically for good deals, there are deals to be done. I would try to stick to original lenses, there is risk and hassles with adapters. Do not pay the extra for CS if you do't need it.

You should register the camera at Leica Owners Area: https://owners.leica-camera.com/en/login

Edited by erlingmm
  • Like 1

Congrats ! Of course it depends on what kind of photography you prefer. The 70 is the "normal" and extremely good, the 100 is the portrait lens - relatively light and walk-around size, the 120 a bit longer+macro but heavy, the 24 is fantastic but probably not your only lens, the 45 is supposed to be good but I haven't had it. The zoom is versatile, but only f/3,5-5,6 which limits it to good daylight on the S006.

I would look around opportunistically for good deals, there are deals to be done. I would try to stick to original lenses, there is risk and hassles with adapters. Do not pay the extra for CS if you do't need it.

You should register the camera at Leica Owners Area: https://owners.leica-camera.com/en/login

No AF problems with my Contax lenses though :p and VERY cheap! Nice Zeiss look to them. 

• Like 1

So the main option should be getting the Summarit 70 and maybe then the Contax adapter? :) Otherwise HC lenses are quite cheap here in Sweden.

What about date of manufacturing of the S?

Edited by mmx_2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So the main option should be getting the Summarit 70 and maybe then the Contax adapter? :) Otherwise HC lenses are quite cheap here in Sweden.

The date you're Leica S went through quality control should be noted in the documentation included with the camera this gives you a rough idea of what week it was made in, in what years etc. 

The date you're Leica S went through quality control should be noted in the documentation included with the camera this gives you a rough idea of what week it was made in, in what years etc. 

I found the card, and it's signed, but there is no date on it :(. Maybe I'll just drop Leica an email. In the set there was also a 16002 screen with grid, might come in handy.  Beginning/middle of January is always a good time to make good deals here :)

Congrats! The 70 can be bought used for close to USD 2000 now. I think it's a no brainer as a first lens.

45 is beautiful but expensive and bulky.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Congratulations and enjoy your S! :) I own and use a S (007) with the following lenses, 24mm, 35mm, 70mm and 30-90mm, and all of them are great performers (the zoom slightly less so). You can't go wrong with the optical quality of S lenses. That said, Contax lenses - as far as I have seen around - have a distinctive character, are optically pretty strong performers and can be found for very little money compared to S lenses (even if you add in the not-so-cheap adapter).

Looking forward to seeing your S images!

Best,

Vieri

• Like 1

Hi all!

I was made an offer that was to good to turn down so now I own an Leica S (typ 006). Some questions:

*It came with "Leica protection plan". If there is still time left on it, do I need to register it somewhere?

The only way to gauge if the offer is really that great is by understanding exactly the time remaining.  When I searched for 006 models last year, I found many great deals, but the only ones worth considering were ones with a full 3 year Protection Plan (that includes loaner camera, etc).  And even then, I wouldn't have bought it unless through a reputable dealer to stand by it all. There should be Protection Plan docs in the box and the dealer should vouch for the time remaining.  I found exactly that deal (at a bare bones price that other dealers were asking for used cameras without any plan), but ultimately decided against the purchase after a week's testing (which was free).  The deals are out there for those who search carefully, especially with all the lens issues.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

I bought it trough a highly reputable Hasselblad dealer. It was a trade in so he was anxious to get rid of it. It came with the full protection plan but I don't know exactly yet when it expires. Camera is from 2014 and I've asked Leica for the details. For the money I paid I still think it was a fair deal and I will only use it for fun anyway (I make my living in the heavy Diesel engine business). I'm well aware of the lens problems but I believe that Leica will solve it, I know they have been trying for a while but if they want to get any money back from creating S-system (and have a future) they have to solve it.

I'm just saying that if your plan has a year or less remaining, for example, then you can probably find better.  Mine had a full 3 years.  But if you're happy, that's all that counts.  

Even better if you can get Protection Plan coverage on the S lenses, if you go that route......that's the advantage of buying from a Leica dealer willing to figure out a total package as mine proposed.

In any case, enjoy shooting.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

I actually paid less than the cost of a used summarit 70...

So did I, after accounting to some degree for the significant discount on the lens....both with full plans remaining.  Plus free week's demo....before I ultimately turned it down.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

S006 owner as well - for just over one year. I did just what you suggest. I got the 70mm, and then a Leica certified adapter for about $1000. But the price of admission allowed me to access the wonderful line of Zeiss lenses. I acquired the 35mm and then the 120mm macro. While neither is as fast as their Leica equivalents, each renders and resolves just beautifully. AF on the 35mm is very capable with none of the disappointing motor issues in the S line of glass. While the 120mm is manual focus, the 1:1 macro opens up some opportunities for amazing, intimate images when painted on the Leica sensor. I paid about $900 for the 35mm and about $600 for the 120mm. Check out KEH for deals on Zeiss lenses.

You will find this forum to be a wealth of information, pleasantly opinionated and unfailingly devoted to the magnificent S line - mostly,

Happy shooting. 

David

• Like 2

Many thanks for the answers and encouraging links!! I find it a sign of at least "improving health" that so many people have answered. That means that there are at least quite a few S-cameras actually seing good use and not just sitting at dealers shelves... :) . But it's quite obvious that the system is plagued with some issues, question is if Leica are willing to solve them or they will do a simple business case that says that the system is no longer economically feasible...

Congrats! The 70 can be bought used for close to USD 2000 now. I think it's a no brainer as a first lens.

45 is beautiful but expensive and bulky.

Beautiful picture! I'm negotiating with a dealer on a 70. It should be a buyers market :)

Another happy S owner here, I have the S-006 and the 30, 70 and 120mm lenses, all bought used, and I am very pleased with my kit. Excellent lenses and a body that is very easy to handle and has a excellent viewfinder. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4