How to weather seal a leica S007

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've tried the H lens + H5 combination and I had to do some dust cleaning at the end of day, even on a nice sunny day.

(a bit off topic, but where did you sell you S equipment? eBay seems sketch for that)

Traded in with P1 dealer to upgrade my P1 IQ350 to P1 IQ3100. One of the best digital backs that I have used so far. Not easy to sell S equipment on ebay.

I have taken my S throughout Namibia's deserts and found that a lens-camera cover such as the Storm jacket (either regular or PRO) is an useful adjunct.

However it is not perfect and that is where meticulous technique including frequent cleaning in the car, hut or whatever is key.

I never exchange lenses unless in a closed in space such as a car and make sure air conditioning and fan are off!!!

A second body is mandatory as insurance...

Albert  ;)  ;)  ;)

The best place for cleaning is in a bathroom after you have run the shower to get as much dust out of the air as possible.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I have a roll of electrical tape and will use that on both ends of the dumb adapter with the 250mm lens attached, and leave the 120mm lens in my suite case.............job done. NO DUST :) :)

Traded in with P1 dealer to upgrade my P1 IQ350 to P1 IQ3100. One of the best digital backs that I have used so far. Not easy to sell S equipment on ebay.

I agree with you, too 100 backs a re incredible, but there aren't many Phase One lenses I feel that enamoured by. Choosing a platform in this ridiculous price bracket is a very frustrating compromise.

I agree with you, too 100 backs a re incredible, but there aren't many Phase One lenses I feel that enamoured by. Choosing a platform in this ridiculous price bracket is a very frustrating compromise.

Are the Schneider lenses that bad compared to Hassy and Leica or? Just curious :).

Are the Schneider lenses that bad compared to Hassy and Leica or? Just curious :).

No they are very good, great even. But great is different to one that becomes a bit of an obsession. The Phase One lenses are kind of boring in their rendering in comparison. That is just IMO. But "kind of boring" is still preferable if the system works, over one that doesn't, which seems to be the risk with the S.

Pretty solid when it comes to harsh and challenging weathers. I have used it under sand storm, heavy snow, heavy rain, wind and more with no issues!

Wish I had a similar report. Took the camera to New Zealand and got caught in a light rain. Was carrying a full backpack so I couldn't pack it in without throwing out some clothes. Anyway, both the camera and lens suffered water damage. It is on its way to Leica right now. I love the camera, but am pretty miffed about the situation. Weather sealing was a primary reason why I got the system. 

Edited by pcsmythe
  • Like 3

Not at all. They are very nice, high quality with good glass (specially the new blue ring modified series) and less risky for pro or any critical work. They are not as sealed as Leica S lenses but that ends there :( with 100mp digital back there is enough room to crop/correct that you might need less lenses in your kit. I would be happy to share my experience on the new IQ3-100 back and Alpa / Rodenstock lenses on a different topic since this is mainly focused on S lenses and their quality when it comes to weather challenges. Based on my personal experience post process and color grading is where artists really help photos to get recognized by their viewers and doesn't really matter when it comes on using high end lenses like S, HC or SK league. This is my personal experience/opinion and might be different for other photographers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wish I had a similar report. Took the camera to New Zealand and got caught in a light rain. Was carrying a full backpack so I couldn't pack it in without throwing out some clothes. Anyway, both the camera and lens suffered water damage. It is on its way to Leica right now. I love the camera, but am pretty miffed about the situation. Weather sealing was a primary reason why I got the system. 

That's quite a dealbreaker. Why not just spend a little more on a better back like P1?

Unless you absolutely swear by the Leica S lenses...

That's quite a dealbreaker. Why not just spend a little more on a better back like P1?

Unless you absolutely swear by the Leica S lenses...

Spend more on a better back? I don't get it. What would a better back have to do with getting caught in a light rain?

I bought the S in large part for its weather sealing, hence taking it on a hike in New Zealand. We got caught in a light rain, nothing like all the Iceland, Sahara, etc. harsh-weather reports. I had no room in my backpack until a stop at a lodge along the trail. By that time—it wasn't long—the S had taken in some water along with the lens. Leica has since said that the S can't handle any rain. I'm still waiting to hear the damage estimate going on two and a half months. 

Edited by pcsmythe

"Leica has since said that the S can't handle any rain. I'm still waiting to hear the damage estimate going on two and a half months."

Maybe not rain inside the camera and lens but obviously it can totally take rain on the exterior, any amount of rain. I'm curious how water got inside, is it possible your lens wasn't completely engaged in the mount? This happens if you don't give a reasonably firm twist when mounting. If it leaked without user error, I can't imagine they would be sending you any bill.

"Leica has since said that the S can't handle any rain. I'm still waiting to hear the damage estimate going on two and a half months."

Maybe not rain inside the camera and lens but obviously it can totally take rain on the exterior, any amount of rain. I'm curious how water got inside, is it possible your lens wasn't completely engaged in the mount? This happens if you don't give a reasonably firm twist when mounting. If it leaked without user error, I can't imagine they would be sending you any bill.

"It can totally take rain on the exterior." I thought so too, well, until it failed and then received the email from Leica. I don't confess any user error because it operated flawlessly all the time up until the rain. I had only the 100mm with me and shot with it for two days without any problems whatsoever. Never, ever would have taken it on this hike without ensuring that the lens was properly mounted. 

Note on the email: The Leica rep said that the camera can take splashes, but not any rain. 

Edited by pcsmythe

Found this additional "propoganda" in the S specs: "Housing the imaging system is a robust, dust and weather-sealed magnesium alloy body featuring an anti-slip rubberized cover for both durability and refined handling."

So, unless user error was a factor, it should be fixed free off charge.