How to weather seal a leica S007

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've been thinking about my up and coming photo safari in Tanzania and it made me think about dust when using my S007 with a dumb adapter back to Hasselblad V 250mm lens. I'm thinking duct tape or electrical tape to keep the dust out of the body......... any other ideas???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been thinking about my up and coming photo safari in Tanzania and it made me think about dust when using my S007 with a dumb adapter back to Hasselblad V 250mm lens. I'm thinking duct tape or electrical tape to keep the dust out of the body......... any other ideas???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slight amount of industrial grease on the mount should help to seal.

I have taken my S throughout Namibia's deserts and found that a lens-camera cover such as the Storm jacket (either regular or PRO) is an useful adjunct.

However it is not perfect and that is where meticulous technique including frequent cleaning in the car, hut or whatever is key.

I never exchange lenses unless in a closed in space such as a car and make sure air conditioning and fan are off!!!

A second body is mandatory as insurance...

Albert  ;)  ;)  ;)

Pretty solid when it comes to harsh and challenging weathers. I have used it under sand storm, heavy snow, heavy rain, wind and more with no issues!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Snow!

Fine sand and dust!

• Like 1

Hey faran, out of curiosity, how does the zoom compare to the primes?

I've taken my S to freezing Canada and it worked just fine. Can't say the same about the M though...

I loved 30-90 a lot! many great shots with it with no issues at all and a great one lens solution. I let all my S007 kit and lenses go which I will have another post about it soon and main reason behind it.

Pretty solid when it comes to harsh and challenging weathers. I have used it under sand storm, heavy snow, heavy rain, wind and more with no issues!

As David Farkas also showed when he took his S system in 2015 to Iceland...   http://www.reddotforum.com/content/2015/09/my-photographic-adventure-through-iceland-with-the-leica-s-typ007/

But the OP asked how to accomplish the same with an adapted third party lens.

Jeff

I use rubber bands with my camera-adapter-lens setups (although I don't have an S), just stretching them over each joint. Easy to remove, easy to replace. I like the ones that come for free with broccoli: wide, thick, functional, and free.

Cheers,

Jon

• Like 2

The C to S adapter looked pretty solid from the end it connect to the body but I didn't try any of the Contax 645 lenses under any harsh weather condition since the lenses weren't weather sealed (80mm f2 and 210mm). Not sure about the Hassy lenses and if they are similar to P1 lenses then they wont be able to handle any harsh conditions. I've lightly used my P1 80mm lens and already has some dust in it.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Hey Neil,

I'm jealous of your trip!

I can't imagine you will have too much issue but I would just tape up, or cling wrap the areas as much as possible if you are worried.

Paul I did the same trip in January last year........ amazing frigging amazing

I'm hoping to get some close up shots with the S007 with the Hasselblad 250mm or even 120mm if they get really close........ we will see.

One thing I'm definitely going to do differently this time is shoot less .........30 plus K pictures in 8 days is stupid. I will have my wife with me this time so I want her to enjoy the moment and I'm just going to pick my pictures more like shooting film rather than gunho them.

Pictures to follow

• Like 1

Nice, enjoy mate. It's a bit of a dream to get there some day, look forward seeing your pics.

Sounds like a good plan to me and I think that's where the magic starts to happen, looking and feeling for something, being in the moment, rather than recording absolutely everything.

Reminds me of this joke:

Two Rhino's, Young Bull and Old Wise Bull, stand on top of the hill of the Savannah looking down a heard of three hundred females.

Young bull shouts - Lets run down there, chase em down and screw one of those Cows!!!!!!

Old Bull Whispers - No, lets gently stroll down and screw all of them.

Ha

Good luck with the lens choice too!

The simple way is a cut plastic bag and a few heavy duty rubber bands. Like half a dozen wrapped tightly should do it. I've done this with push pull zooms and it was enough to keep them clean.

Next level is an EWA marine case. They make one big enough for the S. Almost impervious to dust/water.

As for the grease idea. No way I'm adding grease to my mounts when there are exposed optical elements around. Even if it does work how to you clean off the dust impregnated grease without any getting into the lens/adaptor? No thanks.

Gordon

The C to S adapter looked pretty solid from the end it connect to the body but I didn't try any of the Contax 645 lenses under any harsh weather condition since the lenses weren't weather sealed (80mm f2 and 210mm). Not sure about the Hassy lenses and if they are similar to P1 lenses then they wont be able to handle any harsh conditions. I've lightly used my P1 80mm lens and already has some dust in it.

I've tried the H lens + H5 combination and I had to do some dust cleaning at the end of day, even on a nice sunny day.

(a bit off topic, but where did you sell you S equipment? eBay seems sketch for that)