Best settings to conserve battery

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I sent my beloved SL in for repair so I have been using the T a lot more than in the past.  

Does anyone have any settings tips or trick on how best to conserve the T battery?  These are the ones that I know already:

1.  Turn off WiFi

2.  Keep the GPS off

3.  Set the standby to 1 min

4.  Set the screen dimming to 30sec.

I still feel like when I hang the camera around my neck the screen stays on a lot longer than it should burning precious energy cycles.  

Thanks for the help.

I think that the real solution is not really some magic combination of settings but to just have sufficient spare batteries in your pocket.

Most of the things that matter are really already baked into the hardware design and the firmware. Almost everything that you can do through settings which doesn't compromise functionality is fairly small percentages in comparison to that. 

I would say that you might want to do some testing with the GPS on and compare it to when the GPS is off. GPS chips aren't really the power hogs they were a few years ago and it is reasonably likely that even with GPS off in the settings the GPS chip is still powered and computing your position. So it is reasonably likely that the only thing you would lose is the geo-tagging of your photos.

For the T2 or whatever model that follows the TL a couple of things that I would like are:

1) USB-C charging and downloading using the full capability of USB PD (Power Delivery) to provide enough voltage and wattage to charge the battery as quickly in the battery as in the external charger. USB-C can now deliver up to 100W and can provide voltages up to 20V; this is plenty to charge a camera battery.

2) The external charger should also use USB-C with USB PD and instead of plugging directly into the the main AC power there should be a USB-C adapter. This way you can charge using a car adapter or off of a battery pack as well as plugging into a AC plug. Then have the adapters for the various national plugs attach to the USB-C adapter.

• Like 1