Kodak CCD sensor in any other camera besides the M8?

rivi1969

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello and happy 2017 to everyone :))

My M8 is my favorite camera, in fact I will soon be on the market for a second body (just for peace of mind). I would love to have that image look and feel in a camera for casual shots at home of my family and dogs, so doing some research I see the old Olympus E-1 also has a Kodak CCD sensor, and checking on flickr I can see some resemblance to the look of the pictures -without the sharpness- of the M8. I guess the E-1 paired with the Leica D 25mm 1.4 could be a nice combo, do you know if there are other cameras with similar CCD sensors in four thirds or APS?

Thank you!

Ricardo

I'm not sure about 4/3 but Leicas M8, M9, MM, S2 and S (006) use Kodak CCD sensors. All were/are wonderful cameras though the M9, MM and S2 are prone to corrosion of the filter that covers the sensor. Not a big deal as Leica will replace any sensor showing corrosion for the life of the camera.

The M8 is a great camera. I loved shooting mine with a  #93 filter on a 21 Biogon to capture IR images. Sadly I sold it to fund a M9.

• Like 2

The Nikon D40-70-80 could be an option, I am aware the M9 or the Monochrome have CCDs, I was thinking in something with AF so I could take some pictures of my dogs taster than my M8 :) I think only the Olympus were Kodak CCDs -but I am not sure-.

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Kodak themselves built their DCS SLR range with CCD sensors (except the very last models). I have a couple of CCD  equipped DCS models, as well as a PRO/N which had a CMOS sensor, but battery and chargers are very problematic now so even late CCD cameras such as the DCS760 are not terribly usable these days unfortunately. Most are based on Nikon AF bodies (and a couple of Canons).

See: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/266426-leica-m-10/page-47 post 934 - downside is size!

Edited by pgk
  • Like 1

Fuji X100 uses Super CCD

EtA:  Kodak DCS Pro 14n was not good at little over 200iso as I recall.  I bought one on launch as a wedding/portrait camera, ok-ish in the studio, utterly useless for wedding photography in the UK.  Probably the shortest time I've ever kept a camera, apart from an Imacon V96c back.  I got rid of both within a few weeks of purchase but both were capable of producing nice quality within their (many) limitations.

Edited by honcho

• 2 weeks later...

Fuji X100 uses Super CCD

EtA:  Kodak DCS Pro 14n was not good at little over 200iso as I recall.  I bought one on launch as a wedding/portrait camera, ok-ish in the studio, utterly useless for wedding photography in the UK.  Probably the shortest time I've ever kept a camera, apart from an Imacon V96c back.  I got rid of both within a few weeks of purchase but both were capable of producing nice quality within their (many) limitations.

Actually the Fuji X100 uses a CMOS sensor, not a CCD of any kind. 

Hi Ricardo , DMR (CCD Kodak)

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/260701-leica-dmr-image-thread/page-10

Best Wishes for the New Year

H

Hello Henry, 

Oh yes, the Digital Module, most of those shots look impressive, much more to my liking than modern CMOS :)) I think is the exact same sensor than the M8?? Kind regards and happy new year too!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Henry, 

Oh yes, the Digital Module, most of those shots look impressive, much more to my liking than modern CMOS :)) I think is the exact same sensor than the M8?? Kind regards and happy new year too!

No, it is not the same sensor. It is a quarter cut of a Phase One sensor AFAIK, but I guess Phase One was buying from Kodak at the time too..