SL and wildlife ?

Bohns

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ha!! Yes ... constant 2.8 max aperture.

You know I've forgotten all about it because I don't notice the variable maximum aperture on the 90-280. I was very highly critical about it in the past not until I started seeing the results from the lens. I love them in any focal length. Maybe it's the fact it's an APO lens, IQ is superb. It does beat Canon's very good lens.

I told my friend about the 24-90mm can really fight high-end Canon primes lenses on its sharpness but Zoom lenses always loses out on aperture.

maybe a 150-600mm is good start for Leica :)

Of course there are various schools to follow.

I've been brought up with the 800mm super teles + extenders + cropped 1-series bodies from Canon and the Wimberley gimbal on a super heavy tripod that make for a super fluid and lightweight operation, a true pleasure. There are still followers of this school at the fredmiranda forum and LuLa (RIP Michael,Reichmann).

I wanted to abandon that school by joining the Leica world. And I must admit, being a male, I don't multitask too well, which applies to handling two cameras in parallel, but have no choice. Have to keep my Canon gear forever.

I come from the other side - I started out in the 1980-ies with an M4, Visoflex III and Telyt 400/6.8 trombone lens in the Masai Mara. Half a second shutterlag - before the shot :o  Having a telezoom and decent view is luxury for me...

maybe a 150-600mm is good start for Leica :)

Or maybe a Leica SL 500mm f4 with AF and IS, with 1,4x and 2,0x extenders (and ignoring the price-tag, albeit the corresponding CanNik-lenses are already in Leica land...).

• Like 1

I wouldn't hold my breath - the market for these lenses is small enough, and Leica trying to elbow in - at an undoubtedly astronomical price...I doubt whether they would sell more than a dozen or so.

Hi Stef,

I have similar Canon gear (2.8/300mm II and the 100-400 MKII) and used it lot for wildlife in ZA and Namibia. I now have the SL including the 90-280. Here are my experience:

• The Canon 2.8/300mm is really excellent, but performance drops as soon as convertors are used. (Unless you stop down 2 steps, but then you need 1600 ASA in most cases). At 1600 ASA the 5D MK3 and the 1Dx loose a lot resolution. I achieved the best results with a 5Dsr and the 2.8/300mm and cropped pictures. I´m told that the 1DxII performs much better than the 1Dx. So the 300mm plus convertor might be an option.
  • The main weakness of the Canon combos for me is shooting animals sitting in the grass. The AF of the Canon is fooled by this situation and it is very difficult to see this on the screen. The EVF of the SL is much better here and you can enlarge the picture.
  • I found no good way to shoot with the SL longer than 280mm, but since I have the SL, it is much less fun looking at the Canon pictures (shadows, colours are much better with the SL)
  • So for the moment, I would go with 2 cameras. The SL with the 90-280mm for everything in reach and a Canon 5Dsr either with the Zoom or the 300mm.

The IQ of the 90-280 SL is simply gorgeous. I am optimistic that a future extender will work perfectly fine with it (probably 1.4).

A fast 600mm lens in full frame is a monster. This is only for very dedicated wildlife photographers.

For occasional use, I'd go for the Olympus OMD and the 300mm pro lens with extender. 

I would rather wait for the next T, with a 24MP APSC sensor and improved AFC, mount on the 90-280mm SL zoom would make a versatile BIF camera kit in my opinion.

Then you could as well crop the SL with the 90-280. I was on safari with this combo, great results, you should also factor in the stabilizer of the 90-280, contributes a lot in the long end.

Then you could as well crop the SL with the 90-280. I was on safari with this combo, great results, you should also factor in the stabilizer of the 90-280, contributes a lot in the long end.

Yes, sure ... with a skilled guide and jeep driver, you will shoot with 35mm and up successfully. It all depends what you shoot on that safari and who is there to organise it.

The IQ of the 90-280 SL is simply gorgeous. I am optimistic that a future extender will work perfectly fine with it (probably 1.4).

A fast 600mm lens in full frame is a monster. This is only for very dedicated wildlife photographers.

For occasional use, I'd go for the Olympus OMD and the 300mm pro lens with extender.

600mm is a standard wildlife shooter's gear, who is results oriented. It's not a 'monster', it's a proper lens for the task.

I would rather wait for the next T, with a 24MP APSC sensor and improved AFC, mount on the 90-280mm SL zoom would make a versatile BIF camera kit in my opinion.

How many BIFs shots do you have behind to make that claim?

I did no claim. I clearly stated that it is my opinion. I do not find heavy & huge telephoto lenses mounted on tripods as my choice gear for any wild life including BIF shots. I enjoy mobility & versatility.

I'm not paid to do a job as I'm no pro, so I have the choice and freedom to follow my desire rather than opinion of others.

To me, FF or even medium format is appealing format for landscapes. With current digital technology, I look towards lighter and more versitile gear for action photography.

SL with 90-280 and yes, good driver ;-)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

I did no claim. I clearly stated that it is my opinion. I do not find heavy & huge telephoto lenses mounted on tripods as my choice gear for any wild life including BIF shots. I enjoy mobility & versatility.I'm not paid to do a job as I'm no pro, so I have the choice and freedom to follow my desire rather than opinion of others.To me, FF or even medium format is appealing format for landscapes. With current digital technology, I look towards lighter and more versitile gear for action photography.

Good luck with this.

It's just not going to,work, even it was to come to this,

CDAF focussing will never do proper tracking and therefore will never be useful for BIF.

600mm is a standard wildlife shooter's gear, who is results oriented. It's not a 'monster', it's a proper lens for the task.

Actually, I tend to agree. The 300mm Olympus is a 600mm equivalent and it's a certainty that the image quality is absolutely fantastic. It also takes a set of matched tele-converters. Combined with the EM1 mk2 it's a hard combination to beat in the 20-30 megapixel range. There's a thread on wildlife on Fred Miranda that has some astonishing images from this lens.

One has to ask that for wildlife and birds where the benefit is in carrying a lens 3-4 times as big for the same IQ? Yes there's some change in DOF but for BIF it's completely irrelevant and only marginally important for wildlife.

Gordon

In a day or so I'll have a loaner SL + 90-280 APO & report back...

I suspect that I'll use the SL+90-280 APO for close-range critters and the Sony a7iI with the Canon FD 500mm f/4.5 L for longer range stuff, meaning over 5 meters away.  BIF can be done with manual focus (here's a photo made with the a7II/FD 500 L combo)

fehawk06.jpg

it takes practice and most people don't have the patience for it when AF is available.  I actually find the Sony easier to focus quickly with manual focus lenses because the feather detail 'shimmers' at close range when it's in focus (a7II, 280/4 APO) whereas the SL viewfinder doesn't.

anhumm38.jpg

Since stabilization isn't available in any form beyond 280mm with the SL I don't think it's quite ready to be a one-and-only wildlife camera.  I expect that if I end up purchasing the SL + 90-280 APO I'll keep the a7II and FD 500 L until Leica makes an SL (602) with sensor stabilization, or an extender for the 90-280 APO, or modular APO-Telyt-SL system and a large pile of disposable cash appears in my bank account.

• Like 4

In a day or so I'll have a loaner SL + 90-280 APO & report back...

I suspect that I'll use the SL+90-280 APO for close-range critters and the Sony a7iI with the Canon FD 500mm f/4.5 L for longer range stuff, meaning over 5 meters away. BIF can be done with manual focus (here's a photo made with the a7II/FD 500 L combo)

it takes practice and most people don't have the patience for it when AF is available. I actually find the Sony easier to focus quickly with manual focus lenses because the feather detail 'shimmers' at close range when it's in focus (a7II, 280/4 APO) whereas the SL viewfinder doesn't.

Since stabilization isn't available in any form beyond 280mm with the SL I don't think it's quite ready to be a one-and-only wildlife camera. I expect that if I end up purchasing the SL + 90-280 APO I'll keep the a7II and FD 500 L until Leica makes an SL (602) with sensor stabilization, or an extender for the 90-280 APO, or modular APO-Telyt-SL system and a large pile of disposable cash appears in my bank account.

Agree.

I own the 90-280 APO and use it whenever I can.

I still keep my Canon 1D4+300/2.8+extenders for all other wildlife I cannot apply Leica to.

It's not simple, and it's not the best, but that is the only sensible option in my opinion, for me.

Edited by meerec

Yes, sure ... with a skilled guide and jeep driver, you will shoot with 35mm and up successfully. It all depends what you shoot on that safari and who is there to organise it.

Hmmm...On foot, with a 400 mm...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Or the Apo-Telyt 135 from a vehicle.

• Like 9

The AFC limitations I experienced from the SL on capturing BIF are:

1   Camera unable to lock focus on subject against no contrast background (blue sky), AF searches even wrong direction throwing focus complete out many times;

2   Camera lost AF tracking after quick movement of subject.

I'm not certain if it were due to the limitation of 'Contrast Detection' due to fast movement of subject or subject too small in viewfinder. My only success on locking focus on moving subjects were either on moving subjects against contrast detectable background or slower moving subject of approaching vehicles and flying by aircraft in sky.

Anyone with similar experience?

So for BIF shots, I use the back button focusing method on the SL. Success rate improved but not fantastic.

The AFC limitations I experienced from the SL on capturing BIF are:

1   Camera unable to lock focus on subject against no contrast background (blue sky), AF searches even wrong direction throwing focus complete out many times;

2   Camera lost AF tracking after quick movement of subject.

I'm not certain if it were due to the limitation of 'Contrast Detection' due to fast movement of subject or subject too small in viewfinder. My only success on locking focus on moving subjects were either on moving subjects against contrast detectable background or slower moving subject of approaching vehicles and flying by aircraft in sky.

Anyone with similar experience?

So for BIF shots, I use the back button focusing method on the SL. Success rate improved but not fantastic.

That's the way CDAF works, it has to hunt back and forth and back and forth many times until it gets the focus. Very different to PDAF. It was already discussed a number of times on this forum, and elsewhere. I don't have much expectations for AFc to get any better at the SL. It is what it is and will not get much better no matter what.