The best portrait Leica len on SL 601

phongph

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for this Gordon....so this would equate to ~10ft shooting distance for people, give or take? 

I choose the lenses I want based on my preferences for perspective and compression. I tend to like a slightly flattened perspective for people so I shoot from a distance (camera vertically) where a 50 is a full length shot, an 85 is a mid and a 135 is a head and shoulders portrait. The constant is my shooting distance

• Like 1

Thanks for this Gordon....so this would equate to ~10ft shooting distance for people, give or take? 

Yep. 10-15 ft (3-5 meters) is about where I start. I was taught this way (find out where you want to stand and the lens will sort itself out.) and it's always made sense to find a shooting position and then decide on what lens to use.

I don't always do this. That'd be boring. But it's ALWAYS my starting point. Walk to about 3-5m from my subject have a look and decide what to do from there.

This is me. I'm not saying this is what you should do. Like I said I've seen great portraits with a 20mm and a 600mm. But you've got to have a starting point.

Gordon

• Like 3

Another with 50 Lux (M).  Sold Canon's 135/f2 to help fund SL w/24-90... perhaps regret as was a stella portrait lens

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, the 2/135 is a lens not existing in the Leica realm, unfortunately. So I use a Nikon 135 DC, which adds "bokeh control" and is no slouch, either.

It has internal focusing - while the Milvus is probably still a classic construction with variable length (or did they change that when switching from the classic line ? The catalogue shows no details.)

Edited by steppenw0lf

Yes, the 2/135 is a lens not existing in the Leica realm, unfortunately. So I use a Nikon 135 DC, which adds "bokeh control" and is no slouch, either.

It has internal focusing - while the Milvus is probably still a classic construction with variable length (or did they change that when switching from the classic line ? The catalogue shows no details.)

As far as I'm aware the milvus is the same as the older lens with a new body shell. And even Zeiss admits that the 135 APO is an Otus grade lens without the badge.

Gordon

• Like 4

The Zeiss 135 Apo-Sonnar, is a really very beautiful lens I have a bit of an obsession with. It would be wonderful if Leica produced a 135 Summicron-SL.

This is a great lens which I loved using on my Nikon. Unfortunately I had to sell it, which I greatly regret today, but I had to do it to fund some other purchases.

Since I like 135mm lens for portrais I bought - hold on now! - a Samyang 135/2 ( Nikon mount ) which is, while not even close to Zeiss in terms of build quality, optically really great!

I am not really able to see any significant difference in image quality comparing to Zeiss! Really nice surprise to a 1/5 of Zeiss price.

• Like 2

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Hi All!

Which len will make the body nicer, look the longer leg for lady (?)

My gear is SL 24-90/ f2.8-4.0 ASPH and M App 50/ f2.0 with SL 601.

Happy New year 2017!

Thank, phongph!

Have the model lying on the bed with her head at the bottom of the bed and he feet at the top of the bed. Stand at the bottom of the bed and shoot towards the top of the bed and just focus on the models eyes. Make sure you are using a Noctilux 0.95 and shoot her eyes..........................everything else will be blur, so no need to worry about her being fat with short legs.

If that doesn't work get another model with your spec :) :)

I hope this helps :)

• Like 3

This is a great lens which I loved using on my Nikon. Unfortunately I had to sell it, which I greatly regret today, but I had to do it to fund some other purchases.

Since I like 135mm lens for portrais I bought - hold on now! - a Samyang 135/2 ( Nikon mount ) which is, while not even close to Zeiss in terms of build quality, optically really great!

I am not really able to see any significant difference in image quality comparing to Zeiss! Really nice surprise to a 1/5 of Zeiss price.

I still own some Nikkor AIs 2,0/135 from times they are needed for indoor sports and theatre.

Amazing well build huge piece of glass and metal and a very pleasant Bokeh to for portraits wide open !

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Hers one with the Noctilux

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

The Zeiss 135 Apo-Sonnar, is a really very beautiful lens I have a bit of an obsession with.

Is it something you would recommend on the SL mate......How is it compared to the Leica 135 APO f3.4??

Edited by Neil D

Is it something you would recommend on the SL mate......How is it compared to the Leica 135 APO f3.4??

All the Milvus are of high IQ, but they are quite big and offer only manual focus. And the 135mm is one of the biggest.

The Leica M 135 lenses are very nice and easy to focus manually on the SL, with high IQ, even the older models from the 60s and 70s. For portrait even f/3.4 or f/4 is good enough to clearly separate the background. And they are very handy compared to the Milvus.  (I have an old one from 1961 that I use on special occasions).

But modern lenses like the SL 90-280 are much closer focusing at 135mm, that is very comfortable for portrait and offers a lot of flexibility.

I would also like to buy a modern Summicron AF SL 135mm with internal focusing, but it will probably take years until it will be its turn. (Maybe number 20, while we are currently at number 3, and will attain number 7 in about a year.)

Edited by steppenw0lf
  • Like 1

Have the model lying on the bed with her head at the bottom of the bed and he feet at the top of the bed. Stand at the bottom of the bed and shoot towards the top of the bed and just focus on the models eyes. Make sure you are using a Noctilux 0.95 and shoot her eyes..........................everything else will be blur, so no need to worry about her being fat with short legs.

If that doesn't work get another model with your spec :) :)

I hope this helps :)

Thanks this helps me, Neil LOL