50mm - summilux or APO summicron for portraits

gazza19

Advertisement (gone after registration)

He did not let me upload the crop "out of the camera"

Here it is.. Once again 6400 ISO...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I have 50&90 APO. Both are incredible lenses. The 90 for tight portraits is very good. A bit soft at close range though. The 50 is just outstanding.

I consider the 90APO a terrific lens for landscapes too, even better than for portraits.

And I agree with Lord Lucan; I love sharp (micro contrast,free CA) lenses. Easy to soften in PP.

• Like 1

I have 50&90 APO. Both are incredible lenses. The 90 for tight portraits is very good. A bit soft at close range though. The 50 is just outstanding.

I consider the 90APO a terrific lens for landscapes too, even better than for portraits.

And I agree with Lord Lucan; I love sharp (micro contrast,free CA) lenses. Easy to soften in PP.

I used my 90 APO for portraits at closeset range and full aperture,its one of those lenses I fell in love after first shot.

This is also one lens-- used price represents more than value for money

• Like 1

... and for street & dark interiors photo too.

Santiago de Compostela, pilgrim's foot & "Burmester" cellar, Porto.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

You can save a fortune and just use the v4 cron for portraits. Puts tested it against 50LUX asph and it won at f2 closeup. It's also very friendly to different

sensors.

16059041051_9ab217748a_b.jpg

Jack by unoh7, 50 cron WO

That's M9, so I WOULD like to have the 50 Lux asph.

The 75 Lux is very nice but you won't use 1.4 in a portrait. DOF is too small, generally. That lens gets VERY sharp as you stop down, matching the 90AA at 5.6. The sweetest portrait lens in many peoples opinion is the 90 pre-asph.

19514332803_ab6df8a96c_b.jpg

Puberty by unoh7, 75 Lux

• Like 11

I do but I also use other focal lengths. It depends how one defines a portrait. Full lenght,three quarter,head and shoulder? Or just a tight face?

If all these types of portraits had to fall in one category, it would have to be under "general photography", and the real question would therefore be "sunmilux or APO summicron for general photography?".

My answer to that would be it depends on how rich you are. If you're rich, buy the apo, it's gonna make you feel special and unique.

if you're not rich? Buy the summilux, it's gonna make you feel special and unique.

--

Edited for typos

Edited by NB23
  • Like 3

If all these types of portraits had to fall in one category, it would have to be under "general photography", and the real question would therefore be "sunmilux or APO summicron for general photography?".

My answer to that would be it depends on how rich you are. If you're rich, buy the apo, it's gonna make you feel special and unique.

if you're not rich? Buy the summilux, it's gonna make you feel special and unique.

--

Edited for typos

I think you missed the point.

All and any lens can be used for most types of photography regardless of the lens' suitability,therefore all lenses can be used specially or generally.

I will not recommend anyone to buy 50 APO ASPH,but will recommend to rent or borrow it,if you must need it.(If you need it freequently---sort your finance out)

My fastest if Noct v1 bought decades ago,but really and F2.

And Summilux is not a poormans lens either,if it was so,we would notice that !

Edited by Lord Lucan

I'm special and unique, not rich, and I bought the APO. Now I'm special, unique and happy. How are you going to piss on that?

I have certainly come to the correct conclusion that with insufficient money life is hard and happiness is elusive and sporadic.

I would prefer to be happy and rich and pleased to hand over all my uniqueness and specialness to whoever feels they need some.

• Like 1

I have certainly come to the correct conclusion that with insufficient money life is hard and happiness is elusive and sporadic.

I would prefer to be happy and rich and pleased to hand over all my uniqueness and specialness to whoever feels they need some.

Before I had much more money than now and a job I hated. Happiness was very elusive and very sporadic. Now I have the job I love and happiness is the usual feeling.

And I have the 50APO.That´s the cherry on the top.

Let´s not pontificate about what is the proper lens for portraits. Academy fundamentalist take freedom away. It´s Ok to know the basic academic rules, but no need to follow them blindly. Many times art research involves the breaking of these rules. The impact of the new is important in visual art. JMHO,

Edited by Neko

Let´s not pontificate about what is the proper lens for portraits. Academy fundamentalist take freedom away. It´s Ok to know the basic academic rules, but no need to follow them blindly. Many times art research involves the breaking of these rules. The impact of the new is important in visual art. JMHO,

Maybe. But i doubt that a big distorted nose will ever be in fashion.

Maybe. But i doubt that a big distorted nose will ever be in fashion.

Actually, shooting a 50mm lens or wider on a 35mm camera is quite common in fashion.

As for portraits, I don't know if you've heard of a guy called Man Ray? He shot most of his portraits with a standard lens, he just knew how to.

Also it depends on the face. Sometimes a wider lens is better, and for some faces longer lenses don't work so well.

Edited by Paul J
  • Like 2