Sumarit 28 / 2.8 ASPH. on Minolta CLE?

omllr

Yes it works excellent! I use this combination together with the Minolta Rokkor 40 (also excellent). The asph 28 is incredible compact and fits very well on the CLE. I can post a picture tonight of the setup. Don't bother with the Rokkor 28 (or any other 28), the Elmarit is much better on everything! The CLE has (unlike CL) standard rangefinder cam so basically all M-lenses will fit it and, if properly calibrated, give correct focus. What limits the CLE is in my opinion the lack of other frames than 28,40 and 90 plus that you quite easy get severe viewfinder blockage with a lot of the newer Leica and Zeisslenses (basically everything with E46 or bigger in the front will block). But otherwise it's a fine camera!!

• Like 1

Yes indeed, nice combo very compact and light.

Just 2 or 3 things to remember but not great "bugs" not to use the fine Elmarit-M 2.8/28 Asph. on Minolta CLE.

- when mounted this lens calls also the 4 corners of 90mm frame, not ennoying, because the 28 frame lines are always there

- the CLE rangefinder coupled only to 0.8m so beware when focussing less (to 0.7m with the Elmarit-M)

- enjoy the rendering of this combo, but maybe too light sometimes for "handheld-low-speed" like 1/15 or 1/30

Arnaud

• Like 2

Thanks for all aswers.

I asked because my Summicron 35/2 ASPH will not fit, because I think it extends too much at the back (into the camera I was told).

To me it looks like the Elmarit 28/2.8 ASPH extends the same at the back (on pictures), but I will go to a shop here in Oslo.

I see someone say it will fit, so that is good news.

Yes it is a nice camera with Rokkor 40/2. I use the 35mm on my M6ttl.

Thank you. 

CL is very different from the CLE, they are totally different cameras, not to be conflated. The issue with the CL is the meter arm that prevents using lenses that project far behind the flange. There is no such restriction on the CLE, which should physically accept any lens an M4 (for example) body will... to the best of my knowledge!

However... the CLE's meter is embedded on the floor of the chamber and points upward at an angle to read the light reflected from the shutter curtains... so a lens such as a SA21 might "shade" the meter and provide incorrect readings.

Edited by Dougg
  • Like 1

Thank you Dougg.

So, recapping. CL will not accept the SA21/4, at all, no way, you'll break something?

And the CLE will accept the SA21/4, but with the metering limitations as in the M6, the rear element shades or obstructs the metering cell?

Correct?

Gary

• Like 1