Elmar 24 f/3.8: Is it any good?

BjarniM

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm thinking if i should by an Elmar-M 24 mm f/3.8, but have trouble to find out if the lens is good or not.

After all it's 2200 USD. Is it worth the money?

I can only find a few handful reviews online, and in this forum there are just a few posts about the lens. Therefore i'm think if this is a lens not worth the money or buying.

Any of you guys have hands-on experience with this lens?

Would love to hear from users that have real experiences with this lens. And maybe see some pictures here.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by BjarniM

It is one of the sharpest and most contrasty lenses you can get with a Leica brandmark; for a wide angle it may be unsurpassed in this respect. Low distortion, no flare, vignetting is rather low. Of cause you have to put up with the modest opening - and 24mm is not too popular: too wide for many and not wide enough for others.

• Like 2

Any good?  Erwin Puts is extremely positive about it. If you can find one, snap it up!

The demanding and discerning user gets all the performance that can be required for exhibition type pictures of a very high calibre.

If you want a faster lens, the Elmarit 24  asph is even (marginally) better, meaning unsurpassed. Well, Uli is right too, both are ;). The Summilux 24 is of course a miracle lens, but on the heavy side.

I disagree about the focal length assessment. By taking one step forwards or backwards it can be used as either a 21 or 28. Very versatile.

• Like 5

Spectacularly good lens.

Renders in the more modern 'transparent' and higher contrast (but quite controllable) renderning of the newer Leica lenses. f3.8 is manageable being a wide angle lens. Although not ideal, it can be used without an external OVF by framing to the extreme edges of what you can see through the camera's OVF (x.72).  Can usually be bought at quite a good price as it's a less popular focal length.  

Some samples, as requested:

M240, 3.8/24 Elmar-M

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 14

Monochrom v1, 3.8/24 Elmar-M

• Like 19

Absolutely stunning lens.

• Like 11

M240, 3.4/24 Elmar-M

• Like 7

last one (for a while)

M240, 3.4/24 Elmar-M

• Like 16

Cheeky question; I know it is no slouch but how does Zeiss ZM 25mm f2.8 compare against Leica finest 24s?

IIRC, the true focal length of the Zeiss is slightly north of 26mm, for one thing. It is reputed to be one of the highest resolving of the ZM lenses

Edited by james.liam

IIRC, the true focal length of the Zeiss is slightly north of 26mm, for one thing. It is reputed to be one of the highest resolving of the ZM lenses

Thanks for that. I used to own lens once but it was damaged beyond repair (insurance paid towards new SEM 21mm) now toying with idea of getting replacement copy but wanted to hear voice of collective visdom of LUF beforehand.

Could we please stick to the topic in the headline?

Sure. The Elmer/Super Elmars are all superb performers. The 24 probably just a tad weaker overall than the world-class 21. Lloyd Chambers' subscription site provides exhaustive analysis and comparisons (to each other and Zeiss equivalents) and a worthwhile resource to help on the decision.

• Like 3

Could we please stick to the topic in the headline?

Not possible i the Leica Forum. Digression is a part of life here ;-)

Cheeky question; I know it is no slouch but how does Zeiss ZM 25mm f2.8 compare against Leica finest 24s?

Yes the 2.8/25 ZM is a fabulous lens but I replaced it with the 24 Elmar for consistency as it was the last of my ZM lenses of which I had four at one time. No regrets with the upgrade

The Zeiss has excellent resolution and contrast, minimal distortion, but colours the image a bit cooler than the Leica lenses.  The 1/3 stop aperture ring detents somewhat annoy me as I find it easier for the shutter speed dial and aperture ring to work opposite in 1/2 or 1 stop differences when adjusting exposure settings. I otherwise like the ergonomics of the ZM lenses and their bayonet mounted rectangular lens hoods.  

Sure. The Elmer/Super Elmars are all superb performers. The 24 probably just a tad weaker overall than the world-class 21. Lloyd Chambers' subscription site provides exhaustive analysis and comparisons (to each other and Zeiss equivalents) and a worthwhile resource to help on the decision.

I also have the 21 SEM. Again this is a spectacular lens (and a bit better for my liking than the ZM equivalents). I use 21 more than 24 but in day-to-day use it would be hard to pick the better lens.  They render identically to my eye.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would trust Erwin Puts over Lloyd Chambers any time - by a wide margin.

• Like 6

I would trust Erwin Puts over Lloyd Chambers any time - by a wide margin.

I suggest reading Lloyd Chambers first before knocking him. You would find that in this case, he would not be in the slightest disagreement with Erwin on the Elmar and Super Elmars, doing so with copious objective data to support the tangibles.