Heliopan 46mm Variable ND Filter

dkmoore

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Although my question doesn't pertain specifically to a Leica lens, I am sure many fellow forum members have used and own the Heliopan 46mm Variable ND filter on their Leica lenses. (that is my plan)

Background: I just purchased the filter in demo condition from BH Photo. The filter is in perfect condition and looks like new.

Question: When you turn filter to set between 1-10 it is extremely smooth but also feels like it may move around easy when walking around for the day.

Do any of you have this filter and it is a tighter adjustment so the setting stays in place?

If I tighten the two set screws on the top ring does it tighten the operation? *I lightly tried and it didn't feel like they were going to move any*

I tried it around my house but that doesn't mimic the real world. I do not want to fully use the filter to test it in case I decide to return it for a brand new one, depending on the thoughts from the forum members.

Thanks!

Any help on this one? I bounced around my house and took about a hundred shots and the setting didn't move so I may be ok with this copy.

Just wanted to know if anyone has this filter and the ring is tight yet still smooth. 

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased one secondhand just before Christmas and the ring was too loose for my liking. I loosened the two screws with one of those little eye glass screwdrivers, then tightened them up until I got the desired level of resistance. Hopefully this will work for you.

I went with the var ND in preference to carrying more than one and to help me stay wide open when using my M6.