Lets talk about the EVF

matlep

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Why is the EVF so bright? I find myself underexposing pictures because they look so bright in the evf. I would really like to see the option of adjusting the brightness like you can adjust the lcd-screen. I think it is a bit peculiar that it is not already implemented.

Anyone else have the experience of the evf being to bright?

But it is so damn convenient!! :D

And also, for example the iPhone is WYSIWYG why shouldn't´t the Q be the same? Or am i missing something? If you have a mirrorless design reading straight of the sensor, the exposure should be what you see, right?

Edited by matlep
  • Like 1

Although I can quite sympathize with the annoyance at too bright an EVF, using any EVF to judge exposure is not best practice IMO. Can't the Q project the Histogram into the viewfinder?

You are right, of course, in that that is better. In fact, the EVF is of no use for this purpose really. But when shooting raw, the histogram is also insufficient, since it is based on the screen / EVF  rendering and not on the actual RAW data. This leads to the fact that usually, some headroom is left at the brightest side, so 1/2 to sometimes even 1 stop of positive compensation could have been used.

Although I can quite sympathize with the annoyance at too bright an EVF, using any EVF to judge exposure is not best practice IMO. Can't the Q project the Histogram into the viewfinder?

I agree. It was an adjustment coming from my Leica Ms - the Q is the first mirrorless camera camera I've used - but it was apparent right away that the EVF was not a tool for determining exposure. It's only useful for framing, focusing, and seeing the settings information presented in it. The monitor on the back is only a little better. When you think about it, other kinds of cameras - DSLRs and Rangefinders - are the same way. You do not use the visual scene information to determine exposure, you use it for framing, focusing, and setting info only. I've actually learned to like the brightness. Most of my assignments are reportage in nature, and since I only use available light, being able to see details brighter than the eye can see, is a definite advantage in very low light situations.  

• Like 1

For me this is the one remaining issue I have with the Q. Indeed, as I posted in another thread at the time I found it far worse after installing the last firmware update, damn. My Fuji X100 is better in this regard so can be relied upon to gauge exposure. Lazy it may be but really useful all the same.

HNY everyone.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't there a menu setting to reduce the EVF brightness?

No.

We've been here before. The EVF is not an exposure preview guide. Is there any point on dwelling on this issue because it is simply a fact!

Edited by lucerne
  • Like 1