Leica APO-TELYT-R Lenses on SL

meerec

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone got any good or bad experience using any of the Leica APO-TELYT-R lenses on the SL body?

I still hang on to my Canon 300/2.8L II with extenders and 1D4 body for wildlife photography. Maybe the APO-Telyt 800mm is a good option allowing me to ditch Canon. Yes these are all only manual focus but for static subjects it may be enough. Any thoughts?

This blog has a few examples:

These with 280/2.8 and 2x. http://www.madeinwetzlar.com/wildlife-photography-with-the-leica-sl

The 280/2.8 Apo (non-modular) can be had pretty cheaply, just over 2000 USD. I used to use one on my Canon bodies. Erwin Puts thought it was about as good as the newer modular Apo-Telyt-R lenses, as I recall. It's not as sharp as the much newer Canon design, IMHO (which I've also owned). 

I saw a video recently on the web with someone in Canada using several modular Apo-Telyt-Rs on the SL for video and wildlife photographer, but I couldn't find them again.

• Like 1

I tried the Leica 280/2.8 APO R and did not feel it's near sharpness at F2.8 was very good.  At distances of 10-20 feet it seemed kind of soft.  Also the bokeh did not measure up to my expectations.  I had the Canon 300/2.8 L IS (Mark I) and thought that was brilliant lens on the Canon 1Ds2 & 1Ds3.  I've also owned the Mamiya 645M 300/2.8 APO (just as another point of reference).  All in all, I just was impressed with the Leica 280/2.8 APO.  Maybe my copy was less than brilliant - I don't know, but it seemed in fine shape.  I also had the Leica 180/2 Summicron-R APO.  Love the "draw" of that lens, but again, at near distances (like a portrait headshot or 1/2 body) I found its sharpness lacking (IMO).

Since you have your 300/2.8 L IS, maybe try the Novoflex SL / EOS adapter?  The AF will probably suck, but if focusing manually and using focus magnification, it should work fine.  If I were in your shoes, I'd stick with the 300/2.8 L IS and give the Novoflex adapter a try.

I've had great success with my early version Apo-Telyt 280 f/2.8 and have posted wildlife photos on other threads in the SL forum.  I've been using the stacked adapters but have an R adapter on the way.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 11

Ditto with the 280/2.8, alone and with stacked 1.4x and 2x adapters ...... and as you have found, the results are exceptionally good .....

• Like 9

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This blog has a few examples:

These with 280/2.8 and 2x. http://www.madeinwetzlar.com/wildlife-photography-with-the-leica-sl

The 280/2.8 Apo (non-modular) can be had pretty cheaply, just over 2000 USD. I used to use one on my Canon bodies. Erwin Puts thought it was about as good as the newer modular Apo-Telyt-R lenses, as I recall. It's not as sharp as the much newer Canon design, IMHO (which I've also owned). 

I saw a video recently on the web with someone in Canada using several modular Apo-Telyt-Rs on the SL for video and wildlife photographer, but I couldn't find them again.

Which Canon lens are you referring to ? 

The Canon tele lenses (primes) I know are fine/excellent, but not in any way better (sharper ?) than the Leica R Apo Telyt lenses. So what you tell is a mistery to me.   :D  :D  :D

The best tele prime lenses of Leica Nikon and Canon are simply about equal. (Very high level, so very difficult to find a difference.)

BUT the 90-280 is slightly better than the latest Nikon 70-200. (And the latest Canon 100-400 II). Simply slightly better than any zoom I have tried.

And by the way: This "recommendation" to buy a cheap old lens (R 2.8/280) is absolutely ridiculous. For anybody reading this: Do not buy a cheap battered tele lens on ebay. Take your time and find one that looks like new with all the add-ons. Many users have treated their expensive Leica gear very carefully over the years. So they can still be found "like new" although more than two decades old. And give it a try before you decide to buy it. If its IQ is not like the best new lenses, then simply forget it. Even if it costs that way slightly more.

(Would you buy any shitty old car on ebay ? Probably even without a test ride ? Well, if you would .....   :p )   

Guess what the users do, that find that their lenses are not so terribly sharp ? Exactly, they resell them on ebay....

Edited by steppenw0lf

Guys. Couldn't care less about the old Telyt 280.

For this focal length I have the excellent 90-280 SL zoom.

If you read my question again, it was about the modular Telyt, specifically 800mm. I'm talking about wildlife photography, it requires reach.

280/2.8 with 1.4x and 2X adapters gives you 400mm, 560mm and 800mm. 

The 280/2.8 apo is a fine lens and the specific apo adapters do not influence the performance adversely. I was really surprised at how good it was......

The modular telyt's don't come cheap ...... and production was in the low thousands so they are not plentiful ...... plus you are looking at lugging about 6.5kg. 

are you telling me you want performance better than this ? ....... taken with the crappy old 280/2.8 apo

attachicon.gifL1301757.jpg

All I can say is WOW!

Guys. Couldn't care less about the old Telyt 280.

For this focal length I have the excellent 90-280 SL zoom.

If you read my question again, it was about the modular Telyt, specifically 800mm. I'm talking about wildlife photography, it requires reach.

I use the modular Apo-Telyt-R on my M (type 240) with the Leica adapter : there is a mechanical vignetting  :wacko: (see this post or this one).

I hope that the SL with the R-Adapter L hasn't the issue. But I haven't the information (not easy to find the body and the adapter to try).

280/2.8 with 1.4x and 2X adapters gives you 400mm, 560mm and 800mm. 

The 280/2.8 apo is a fine lens and the specific apo adapters do not influence the performance adversely. I was really surprised at how good it was......

The modular telyt's don't come cheap ...... and production was in the low thousands so they are not plentiful ...... plus you are looking at lugging about 6.5kg. 

are you telling me you want performance better than this ? ....... taken with the crappy old 280/2.8 apo

attachicon.gifL1301757.jpg

Hey Thighslapper, my hat off. This looks very good.

Can you pls look up exif and tell the focal length, shutter, aperture and ISO ?

I'd never try stacking 1.4x and 2.x on my Canon system. The quality degradation would be too much so I'm rather skeptical about the Telyt-R performance too.

Which Canon lens are you referring to ? 

The Canon tele lenses (primes) I know are fine/excellent, but not in any way better (sharper ?) than the Leica R Apo Telyt lenses. So what you tell is a mistery to me.   :D  :D  :D

The best tele prime lenses of Leica Nikon and Canon are simply about equal. (Very high level, so very difficult to find a difference.)

BUT the 90-280 is slightly better than the latest Nikon 70-200. (And the latest Canon 100-400 II). Simply slightly better than any zoom I have tried.

And by the way: This "recommendation" to buy a cheap old lens (R 2.8/280) is absolutely ridiculous. For anybody reading this: Do not buy a cheap battered tele lens on ebay. Take your time and find one that looks like new with all the add-ons. Many users have treated their expensive Leica gear very carefully over the years. So they can still be found "like new" although more than two decades old. And give it a try before you decide to buy it. If its IQ is not like the best new lenses, then simply forget it. Even if it costs that way slightly more.

(Would you buy any shitty old car on ebay ? Probably even without a test ride ? Well, if you would .....   :p )   

Guess what the users do, that find that their lenses are not so terribly sharp ? Exactly, they resell them on ebay....

Thanks for comments. Useful.

I'm very hesitant buying anything used!! In fact I have never had ANY used gear, ever. It would be too hard to find a local seller in Sydney so need to take a chance when travelling to Europe or USA and actually check the goods as you suggest.

Stacking extenders is not a great idea because you lose light a lot. Instead of the 2.8 lens you suddenly get a f/8 lens ... pretty slow and dark.

I use the Canon 300 f/2.8L mark II glass on the 1.3 crop sensor Canon 1D4 body. It's a fantastic lens.

I love the SL 90-280 zoom. It's so much better than my Canon 70-200 zoom I used to own. But 280 is not long enough for birds, it's ok for elephants in Africa LOL

I've had great success with my early version Apo-Telyt 280 f/2.8 and have posted wildlife photos on other threads in the SL forum.  I've been using the stacked adapters but have an R adapter on the way.

You're talking about stacking the M and R adapters.

Thighslapper was talking about stacking the 1.4x and 2x extenders as I understood.

280 focal length is covered by my SL 90-280 zoom so for that reason alone id not buy the Telyt-R 280.

I still need someone to show me some nice pics with the Telyt-R 280 and the extenders … Please.

• Like 1

I tried the Leica 280/2.8 APO R and did not feel it's near sharpness at F2.8 was very good.  At distances of 10-20 feet it seemed kind of soft.  Also the bokeh did not measure up to my expectations.  I had the Canon 300/2.8 L IS (Mark I) and thought that was brilliant lens on the Canon 1Ds2 & 1Ds3.  I've also owned the Mamiya 645M 300/2.8 APO (just as another point of reference).  All in all, I just was impressed with the Leica 280/2.8 APO.  Maybe my copy was less than brilliant - I don't know, but it seemed in fine shape.  I also had the Leica 180/2 Summicron-R APO.  Love the "draw" of that lens, but again, at near distances (like a portrait headshot or 1/2 body) I found its sharpness lacking (IMO).

Since you have your 300/2.8 L IS, maybe try the Novoflex SL / EOS adapter?  The AF will probably suck, but if focusing manually and using focus magnification, it should work fine.  If I were in your shoes, I'd stick with the 300/2.8 L IS and give the Novoflex adapter a try.

I've already tried the Novoflex adapter for EOS.

It really sucked in a big way with my Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L II IS lens. Really did. Unusable. Not becuase of very slooooow AF, that too, however it would lock my lens/camera often too. Results, i.e. IQ, when working, were good.

the kestrel fledgling was with x2 and x1.4 stacked ...... so 800mm at f8 ........ 1250/sec at iso 800 ....... it was very windy and my tripod is a bit flimsy and needed my camera bag hung underneath to stabilise ......

the robin photos are about f4/5.6, mostly 200-500 iso ...... can't recall if I used the x2 or x1.4 extender.

I have a lot of others of birdies and things in the garden ...... all are equally good ...... apart from the size (because of f2.8) it seems an excellent lens .... easily holding it's own with lenses 30 years younger.

• Like 6

• Like 8

• Like 6

Thanks for comments. Useful.

I'm very hesitant buying anything used!! In fact I have never had ANY used gear, ever. It would be too hard to find a local seller in Sydney so need to take a chance when travelling to Europe or USA and actually check the goods as you suggest.

Stacking extenders is not a great idea because you lose light a lot. Instead of the 2.8 lens you suddenly get a f/8 lens ... pretty slow and dark.

I use the Canon 300 f/2.8L mark II glass on the 1.3 crop sensor Canon 1D4 body. It's a fantastic lens.

I love the SL 90-280 zoom. It's so much better than my Canon 70-200 zoom I used to own. But 280 is not long enough for birds, it's ok for elephants in Africa LOL

being a bird photographer and coming from canon, I fully understand what u are thinking.

but alternatively I would strongly suggest u to consider the 600II pair with a 1Dx/1Dx2 and a back up 5DsR.

not sure how long would Leica come out with a suer tele lens but even though, they would probably start off with the most common 300mm first so anything longer we would have to wait even longer.