Summicron 35mm f/2 type iv issues?

nwphil

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, 

I am testing an used Leica summicron-m 35mm f/2 type iv, and just noticed that the lens shade #12524 *(rectangular shape), does not stay "squared" with the camera body.

as I was trying to see if a twist would adjust it, the whole front element assembly part can be twisted out ( lens facing you, twisting to left/counterclockwise). 

If I try to align the whole thing with shade on, so the aperture mark stays aligned with center, and shade remains squared, the front part (all the assembly till the aperture ring) remains too loose, allowing to rotate when rotating the aperture to f165 or f2.

hoping that you can visualize this....

so, is this normal? should the shade be level/squared with body(not slightly tilted to one side), and the lens have so much play in it?. I can make it tight, thus not moving as I rotate the aperture ring, but then the lens shade is a bit off.

Thank you for your help

ps: I need to know this asap so it can be returned

Phil

Edited by nwphil

Whom is asking you $1350 if i may ask? Just an unstuck lens cell i suspect. I would ask DAG or Sherry Krauter for a quote if i lived in the USA. My copy (pic) has been like that for 20+ years. I just rescrew the lens cell from time to time if needed. Mine is not misaligned though. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Whom is asking you $1350 if i may ask? Just an unstuck lens cell i suspect. I would ask DAG or Sherry Krauter for a quote if i lived in the USA. My copy (pic) has been like that for 20+ years. I just rescrew the lens cell from time to time if needed. Mine is not misaligned though. 

attachicon.gifDSC01536_afterweb.jpg

it's a seller from a camera forum - return allowed upon brief inspection time.

if I tighten a bit too much, the focusing gets a small bump/slight stop at 2 meters.

should/could I ask for lowering the price?

I am not a collector, and intend to have this one as the always-on lens ( I have others), but more than a lesser perceived value if ever I decide to sell, is more the concern of having a catastrophic failure during a walk around and obviously paying too much for what can be taken as a defective/problematic lens.

I have  a couple 50 years old (given or taken) lenses, and got them full aware of issues and paid accordingly.

- hard to find a sense of fair value for a lens with this condition .....

Edited by nwphil

I would return the lens if you cannot get a repair quote in due course.

DAG is estimating $120 - obviously a very flexible amount but likely to be more, plus shipping.

lct, feel free to pm privately if you don't feel comfortable posting a "fair" value/price I should counteroffer.

Thanks once again

I would have to see the lens in person to get an idea. All i can say is $1350 sounds a fair price if the lens is otherwise in excellent condition. A rebate of the repair quote plus shipping could be envisioned then which would give you the opportunity to have the lens CLA'd and/or 6-bit coded at the same time eventually. FWIW.

• Like 1

well, it's going back :(

DAG says it will repair ir, but Sherry Krauter said it does not repair this version. Called it a a cheaply, poor designed version that has a carbon tube holding the elements - clearly the point of failure.

IF, I keep the little white mark on the lens aligned with triangle from DOF scale further back, the images come sharp....but there is too much play on the front element. literally I would have to check it every time I would change the aperture or focus.

looked at the summilux, and v2 and V1 are known for focus shift issues ( not that I need 1.4 anyway)

at this point, I either will look at the v3,. maybe the asph or go after the konica, but the Zeiss Distagon 1.4 seems great too but not size wize

Thank you all for your insights

The Summicron 35/2 v3 (# 11309 2nd version, pic below) is a very fine lens with no focus shift i've been told. I have no experience with it but i could be tempted.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The Summicron 35/2 v3 (# 11309 2nd version, pic below) is a very fine lens with no focus shift i've been told. I have no experience with it but i could be tempted.

attachicon.gifLeicaM_3520_11309_2.jpg

opps ...just realized that I might have hit the report link by mistake....

Moderator please, ignore it and remove it from any records, and please accept my apologies ( extended to you too LCT)

Yes, I have been looking at this version too, but just made an offer for the type V asph, and if accepted I will go with it (not for much more than the type IV just returned, and yes in very good shape with all items including box as new)

the version one without the googles is interesting, but as I do shoot in color, I would have some aggravations/upsets once in a while

my only snag with the v5, is size and weight, but I am coming from a 1Dx and zeiss lenses :)