Summilux - M 28 f1.4 and M246

skater75

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I got the recently released lens Summilux 28 f1.4, # 11668,  but the lens manual selection menu does not have it's listed obviously.

I set up it manually to 28 f 2 #11604

Is it better to get into Automatic mode instead? Am I missing any firmware updates (I purchased M246 in Nov 2015)?

Thank you.

• Like 1

I believe that lenses that are only available with 6-bit coding are not listed in the manual lens selection menu.  Automatic mode should apply the proper corrections.

This particular lens 28mm f1.4 is not listed for obvious reason, - it's released by Leica a few months ago and my M246 software is dated Nov 2015 and has never been updated since. 

But your statement about 6 bits lens seems to be incorrect. My Summicron 90mm f2.0  #11884 is 6 bits and IS listed on manual menu selection.

This particular lens 28mm f1.4 is not listed for obvious reason, - it's released by Leica a few months ago and my M246 software is dated Nov 2015 and has never been updated since. 

But your statement about 6 bits lens seems to be incorrect. My Summicron 90mm f2.0  #11884 is 6 bits and IS listed on manual menu selection.

Why do you want to set f1.4 lens as f2 manually? 

Is Automatic mode a better option?

If you already have the lens and camera why don't you try for yourself f1.4 in auto and f2 in manual and let us know is it worth the effort, you can also try uncoded and let us know how it works.  As lens is designed to be used 6-bit coded i.e in auto lens recognition why would anyone use it in any other way??

Edited by mmradman

If you already have the lens and camera why don't you try for yourself f1.4 in auto and f2 in manual and let us know is it worth the effort, you can also try uncoded and let us know how it works.  As lens is designed to be used 6-bit coded i.e in auto lens recognition why would anyone use it in any other way??

OK, will try both ways. Automatic likely be a better one.

That lens was not 6-bit coded when first released in 1968. 6-bit coding commenced around 2006. Since uncoded versions exist the lens is listed the manual lens selection menu.

To make this clear, the manual menu is only for lenses that have uncoded versions! If there is no uncoded version, it will never be in the manual menu. The 28 lux has only the coded version so it will never be in the manual menu. It is however in the firmware and recognized by the camera. Auto is the correct way to have this lens correctly, corrected by the camera. There are many lenses that are in this category.

• Like 1