New Vario-Elmar-M 28-75mm f/3.4-5.6

rosuna

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So,we can devide in two groups.

First one is say MATE-Tri Elmar which fecilitates three focal lengths and you can not use, say.30mm if you wanted.

Second one is a largest group where all remaining lenses ie 16-35 70-300  or anything you can think of.

Many years ago Vivitar marketed some lenses as variable focal lengths,Is that a third group?

I think this topic about true or not true zoom is for knowledge purpose and I assume has nothing much to do in practice.

Edited by Lord Lucan

Many years ago Vivitar marketed some lenses as variable focal lengths,Is that a third group?

Yes - those lenses had to be refocused at each focal length (you could not zoom in, focus, and then zoom out and still be in focus). They did cover a full range of focal lengths, however (28mm, 29mm, 30mm.....88mm, 89mm, 90mm).

It was a work-around to get an f/2.8 aperture design in, for example, an early 28-90.

You'll notice that the focusing scale has curved index lines - the focus ring has to be in one position at 90mm, and another position at 28mm, to be focused at 1 meter.

http://vintagelensreviews.com/vlr/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Review_Vivitar_Komine_28-90_2.8-3.5.jpg

Zooms that stay focused as one zooms (required for motion picture cameras, obviously) are referred to as parfocal zooms, and are the vast majority these days.

As to the Leica M 28-75 - it is called a test lens, but I expect "working prototype" is more accurate. Leica is always trying out ideas - they had 28 f/2 and 75 f/2.8 prototypes as early as the 1980s, that did not appear on the market for another 20 years (too expensive to build, or not high enough image quality). In the same era they made a prototype 28 f/2.8 M with built-in hood, that was never produced.

For that matter, they made an early "M6" prototype that had autoexposure (based on R4 components) - never made it past prototype stage: we got the plain manual M6 instead. The bladed R4 shutter leaked too much light without the SLR mirror in front of it for shade.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/Leica/Leica-M6/M6-Special/M6-Electronic-1981/M6_eletronic_b.jpg

Edited by adan
  • Like 1

So,we can devide in two groups.

First one is say MATE-Tri Elmar which fecilitates three focal lengths and you can not use, say.30mm if you wanted.

Second one is a largest group where all remaining lenses ie 16-35 70-300  or anything you can think of.

I think this topic about true or not true zoom is for knowledge purpose and I assume has nothing much to do in practice.

The practical application comes in if you buy a WATE or a MATE for the SL: the WATE is fully usable at all focal lengths, but the MATE would be a waste of money - you could ONLY use it at its three focal lengths.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

$ 1000 for Jaap's trip + $ 4000 for the lens = $ 5000. Still interested? :D

1000.00 for the lens and we should cntribute towards his cost. No hotels but put pressure on Leica by staying in reception with a placard.

But seriously no more than 1000.00 which is a three times market price of Sony kit lens.

Get real! ;)

Previous Leica-M variables (28-50 or 16-21) go for $3000-$5000 - second-hand!

By your math, a new Leica 90 f/2 shouldn't cost more that 3x a new Canon 85 f/1.8. The factor is more like 12.5x (Canon $320, Leica $3995).

I suspect Leica will market this as a "convenient camera-bag-in-one-lens travel lens" at about $2995. But even if Leica views it as a kit lens, figure $2195 minimum (same as a 50mm Summicron).

• Like 1

adan, Yes I agree , my point is there are truckloads of zoom lenses between 24 to.......

You only need an adapter.OK You have to put up with extra weght. I think I will caryy extra few gramms of weight.

Seriously this lens,while I welcome and look forward to see it in flesh,will perform same as ie Canon 24-70 or Nikon,Sony and many others.

Leica has lines of first rate lenses all at top price tags. So why not one cheappy!

They can use some rubber and plastic.

I know I'm limited by my experiences but just don't see the purpose.... and so many great choices across this zoom range.

I think I can see use for something like a 90-180 f5.6. where (my) usage is low but a need exists, of course there is always the R lens options with adapter and EVF....... but R lens won't advance to latest technology and only available used so perhaps there is a spot here.

A more likely explanation is that he was given a green-light to float its existence and gauge interest from the likes of us.

Leica PR confirmed that they ddnt know who this doctor is! They also confirmed that no such lens is either available now or in future for M.

But DR Rhodes is a nice man, I am concluding by reading his contribution posts in DPR LeicaTalk forum.

Leica PR confirmed that they ddnt know who this doctor is! They also confirmed that no such lens is either available now or in future for M.

But DR Rhodes is a nice man, I am concluding by reading his contribution posts in DPR LeicaTalk forum.

Why would they confirm anything? Enhances the mystery of the 'rogue with the prototype' and creates a buzz....like we're generating ourselves right now. Remember, Google bot is watching and this thread rises to the top of the hit list in searches.  :ph34r:

Dr Rohde is apparently a pal of Dr Kaufmann and has previous history of beta testing products prior to release and posting photos using these products prior to official release or announcement. There was a bit of fuss prior to the release of the M240 and a number of photos taken by Dr Rohde using the camera were widely circulated. I seem to recall photos taken inside a supermarket or DIY store, photos of yachts and various shots of swimming pools and the like taken from a hotel balcony.

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 1

I like it but we need to know wether the price will be under 1000 or not.

There is more chance that Nazis are living on the far side of the moon than this lens (if it eventually becomes an official product) costing less then £1000. I'd be very surprised if it had an RRP much less than £4,000.

• Like 2