New Vario-Elmar-M 28-75mm f/3.4-5.6

rosuna

Nice.

IMO this kind of Vario-M would only work properly on a M equipped with a excellent EVF and if the lens and the camera are electronically connected.

That said, I am not interested in a 75/5,6.

• Like 1

Sorry to be dumb, but what is a "true zoom"? As opposed to what?

The MATE only works at the three named focal lengths, so is not a true zoom. The WATE works at all points in between, so is a true zoom. But I have never used any of them, so I'm going on what others say, not direct knowledge.

• Like 1

I think a range of small, multi-focal length lenses (zooms like the WATE), would sell well for an M, especially one with an upgraded EVF option. The WATE, while popular, is probably limited sales-wise by its ultra-wide lengths, and the MATE is hampered with an old design subject to mechanical issues (and, because of that old complex design, not a true zoom as noted).  A 35-90 for travel would suit me fine, as would an updated MATE (28-50).  Just keep them compact, well constructed and high performance, not dumbed down to reduce price.  That (along with slower apertures) would also help alleviate any Leica concerns of potential cannibalization of prime lens sales.

Jeff

• Like 2

I have the same question. I read about Tri Elmar being a true zoom.

Any example among users,in market offered as zoom but may not be a true zoom?

Thanks.

I guess they don't exist. Lenses like the WATE and MATE, with a small number of fixed focal lengths, are only relevant for cameras without TTL like rangefinders, to allow framing. TTL cameras don't need them, because you can see the frame at all focal lengths.

.. the MATE is hampered with an old design subject to mechanical issues (and, because of that old complex design, not a true zoom as noted). ...

My MATE (version 2) never had any mechanical issues so far. And whether it is a true zoom or not is irrelevant to me, since there are only frames for 28, 35 and 50mm in the OVF anyway. And even if it were a true zoom and used with an EVF, my feet would do the 'zooming' in between each of its focal lenghts in no time, if needed, so I could not care less.

Andy

Sorry to be dumb, but what is a "true zoom"? As opposed to what?

On a multi-focal length lens image quality is not guaranteed at in-between settings (if the lens even allows those). On a true zoom there is a specified performance on all focal lengths.

My MATE (version 2) never had any mechanical issues so far. And whether it is a true zoom or not is irrelevant to me, since there are only frames for 28, 35 and 50mm in the OVF anyway. And even if it were a true zoom and used with an EVF, my feet would do the 'zooming' in between each of its focal lenghts in no time, if needed, so I could not care less.

Well, since your feet are so effective between 28-50, you really don't need a zoom in the first place....just buy a 35.  Of course perspective will change every time you move closer or farther away, unlike using a zoom from a fixed place.

Good that you haven't experienced problems.....not so with some others here, including me.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S