Loose lens hood collar.

rafikiphoto

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Whilst in Venice last week the lens hood collar of my 28mm Summicron became very loose. Fortunately I noticed it before it fell off. The collar is held on by 4 tiny screws and they had loosened. A kind jeweller on the Rialto tightened them for me and all was well - for a while. A couple of days later the hood and collar were revolving around the lens again. I retired that lens for the remainder of the trip. I have jewellers screwdrivers at home and have re-tightened the screws but I am not confident they will stay tight this time either. What would you recommend I do to make a permanent fix for this problem?

Whilst in Venice last week the lens hood collar of my 28mm Summicron became very loose. Fortunately I noticed it before it fell off. The collar is held on by 4 tiny screws and they had loosened. A kind jeweller on the Rialto tightened them for me and all was well - for a while. A couple of days later the hood and collar were revolving around the lens again. I retired that lens for the remainder of the trip. I have jewellers screwdrivers at home and have re-tightened the screws but I am not confident they will stay tight this time either. What would you recommend I do to make a permanent fix for this problem?

a little bit of nail polish or loctite.

• Like 1

I've had so many problems with the lens hood on the 28 summicron.  After a time it wasn't just screws coming adrift, but the  whole assembly coming apart... The final answer for me was to superglue everything in place (making sure that you don't glue the spring clips that hold it to the lens).  Drastic, but it's worked for over a year now.  A replacement is a silly price, and I don't like threaded screw-in hoods...

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello Everybody,

When using either loctite or nail polish, clear or of any color, there is no need to put it all of the way along the screw thread.

Just a little under the head of the screw & a small amount for a short distance down from the top of the screw thread is usually sufficient.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 1

Never used that big hood. That of the 35/1.4 asph v1 (12589 below) is smaller and has not this problem. FWIW.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Hello Everybody,

When using either loctite or nail polish, clear or of any color, there is no need to put it all of the way along the screw thread.

Just a little under the head of the screw & a small amount for a short distance down from the top of the screw thread is usually sufficient.

Best Regards,

Michael

Trouble is these are grub screws with just a 1.4mm head. I will take them out but I am sure they are so small any Loctite placement will be arbitrary.

Thanks all. I see there are a few variants of Loctite. Which one would be best for these tiny grub screws?

There may be some confusion about what 'Loctite' means, and just saying 'use Loctite' could lead to some big mistakes. With the 'nail varnish or Loctite' answer it should say 'use Loctite thread lock', NOT Loctite cyanoacrylate glue. The thread lock comes in many forms but the 'blue' version is OK. It works like clear nail varnish in that you put a bit on the thread and it acts as a weak glue that can still be undone, the thread lock has the advantage of not drying until it has gone anaerobic. The cyanoacrylate is of course a 'super-glue', difficult to assemble without it drying prematurely, and say goodbye to undoing the screws again. If things get bad and threads have worn and screws have gotten chewed up super-gluing it all together is a good idea.

• Like 2