Problems with my R3 ( Electronic won't work )

FlanellKamerasFilm

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

my grandfather recently gave my his beloved Leica R3 with two lenses. But this beauty got two problems.

First the advance leaver won't work from time to time. It seem that he doesn't get grip to the advance mechanism sometimes. Advancing usually works just fine but what the leaver is losing grip I have to move him approximately a hundert times till I'm able to cock the camera again. 

The second issue is the electrics, If no batteries are insert the B and the X mode ( 1/90 ) are just working fine. But as soon as I insert a pair of LR44, SR 44 or AG3 the shutter opens and stay open no matter what time is set on the R3es shutter dial. And the shutters stays open until I remove the batteries. 

I just want to know, if its possible to fix it easily or if i have to contact the Leica support for this and how much the costs could be.

Greetings from Germany

Last weekend offer for a Leica R-3MOT by a dealer for 49 €:

Dealer's notice: "The camera is in a normally used condition with small external traces of use, the clear surfaces are clear and free from scratches, and all functions can be carried out properly." 

For 49 € one should simply test what the lenses can do.
A repair cost estimate at Leica becomes more expensive, a repair - if possible with perhaps defective electronics - can quickly cost 10 to 20 times of this offer.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

@mnutzer

Thanks .. I knew that Leica treated the R series not well but that they refuse to repair it shocked me a little.

The 50€ R4 MOT is a real bargain, I think I'll give that shop a call.

Thank you guys.

@mnutzer

Thanks .. I knew that Leica treated the R series not well but that they refuse to repair it shocked me a little.

The 50€ R4 MOT is a real bargain, I think I'll give that shop a call.

Thank you guys.

Looks like someone has bought it! I must admit I was tempted myself.

Yes, it looks as if it is being sold.

Was there another offer of an R4MOT?
I only noticed that R3MOT next to a IIIg.

No matter - take the next chance. :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I knew that Leica treated the R series not well but that they refuse to repair it shocked me a little.

According to the wiki here on the forum the R3 was discontinued 36 years ago. Assuming spares to be available, I would think that any significant repair would be completely uneconomic given current prices of these cameras and costs of a technician's time. Given this, blaming Leica for a fairly rational decision is being a little hard on them I would say, but it is always a shame when such nice cameras are no longer viable to repair. I've seen a few at bargain prices and been tempted - until reality kicks in and I realise why they are available at such a low price. Sad.

• Like 1

I hesitated clicking the buy button as their blurb said it was a customer sale with no warranty, and having experienced the fault on my original R3 - which you'd probably only notice if you tested by shooting a roll of film - it wasn't a risk I wanted to take.

I did email them but had no response.

But if it's all good someone got a bargain!

It was a giveaway price but to be honest I'd rather pay 100 euro and buy one with some warranty which most dealers offer, or at least a chance to test it.

Ffordes have an R4 advertised for £99 with a 6 month warranty, and an R3 for another £10, again with warranty. As I said before, tempting .....