Newest member to the Leica digital M world

Cesar

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Greetings!

I own a IIIf and an M3.  I have been also been shooting digital for quite some time (mostly Pentax).  I did pick up a D-Lux 5 a couple of years ago.  I have enjoyed the proper color rendition of this camera.

A couple of weeks ago I bought a Leica M9.  I have been taking shots here and there just getting used to the camera.  The rangefinders had been sitting idle for quite some time.

Today I took the time to go around my yard and took a few shots using a grey card in the scene.

I have always tried to shoot {film or digital} as if I were shooting slide film.  The photo lab I used to use when shooting film always told me that I was the most consistent in my exposures.  Any adjustment applied to the first photo was applied to all shots and the results were great.  I always considered this a compliment.

I believe in not spending time in post processing.  I like to get things right in the camera.

Setting my white balance and using a light meter I am impressed with the color rendition when looking at the grey card.  I am glad that I finally took the time to shoot with an eye to exposure rather than being excited to have a full-frame digital camera.

The only LTM lenses I have are a 1959 Summaron 1:2.8/35 Leitz Wetzlar and a 1957 Summicron f - 5 cm 1:2 Ernst Leitz GmbH Wetzlar.  I enjoy being able to use my old lenses on the M9.  Otherwise I would not been able to afford getting an M9 being that I would have to also get a lens.

I am sure all this is not new to anyone, but I am glad to be able to use my Leica lenses again.

I have been looking at the images at a 1:1 size on my laptop.  I am so impressed - no need to sharpen!

César

Lynn Haven, FL - USA

• Like 3

Yes, welcome! I've used both Leica and Pentax since the 1960s, buying an M4 in '68, M6 in '85; and Pentax H1a in '65, MX and LX when they came out. Also added a IIIf in '69, and some Leica SLRs along the way. Never went for autofocus models. I bought an M9 about a year after it came out, and have loved it with all my old lenses, from a '34 Summar on. I finally added a recent 50 Summicron and a couple of Summarits, which are my main lenses on the M9 now. I've never found a need for the later M models, although the M-D is sure tempting.

Since my old lenses worked so well on the M9, I tried a Pentax K-5 for my old Pentax lenses. The resulting images could be good, but the cropped view messed with the wide angles, and manual focus was dismal with that viewfinder. I finally added a Sony A7 body for my old Pentax and Leica R lenses, and it works well with them.

However, for 35 and 50mm lenses nothing is better than RF, so the M9 is my most used digital. But I'm back to shooting more film than digital now that I have a darkroom again, and retirement gives time to enjoy it.

Enjoy the 2.8 Summaron! It is a great match to the M9. I also have the 3.5 LTM model, and after getting the haze cleaned off it also performs amazingly well. I use a 50 more with film, but on the M9 find a 35 is more universal.

I commend you for trying to get it right in camera.  Unfortunately it is impossible.  There is no one setting for sharpening,  there is no way to have the histogram fill the scale,  there are few photos that can not be improved with some burn and dodge.

Look into some inexpensive programs like Gimp or Photoshop Elements and explore what can be done.   There is a whole new level of quality. 

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you Tobey.  

I have been trying to set aside some time to see what I can do with GIMP or PhotoScape X or even Raw Therapee.  I have not taken anything critical with it yet.  I have been taking snap shots.  

I am trying to get used to the center-weighted metering.  I was accustomed to this when shooting my film cameras but I have to relearn the metering.

Thanks for the welcoming.  I look forward to being critical again with my shooting.

I used to love taking out my Pentax LX (a couple of bodies with different film) and using my exposure meter and enjoying what I could find to shoot.  I feel that the M9 will force me to take my time and enjoy the essence of photography again!