Advice on a 50mm Summicron

Robert M Poole

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You can add a tab easily for $10. I love these:

http://www.lenstab.com/

One of the guys in the shop gave me a master class on focusing without the tab by cupping with the left hand and rolling the index finger. I'm getting used to it and not missing the tab as much as I though I would. For a tenner though I might invest anyway.

www.robertpoolephotography.com

Amother quick question... It turns out the lens isn't six bit coded. Does this matter? I'm only using this lens as it is the only leica lens I own and don't have any interest in other focal lengths at the moment. i know you can change the mount (fairly simply?) and paint on the codes etc or get Leica to code it. But, is there any need to?

Thanks 

Rob

Coding will provide EXIF data, which may or may not be important to you.  Otherwise, lens corrections are more generally applicable to wider focal lengths.....you likely won't notice any difference with 50 and longer.

I may have missed it, but did you ever state why you want to replace your Summarit in the first place?  Funny that others have recommendations if it's really not known what 'issue(s)' you're trying to address.....other than GAS, maybe?

Summarits are fine lenses, and the comparisons have been discussed in many threads.  More here from Puts (including comparisons to Summicrons)...  http://www.imx.nl/photo/leica/lenses/lenses/page83.html

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Good luck with your new lens! If it isn't coded, and it's the only lens you have, AND you have an M9, M typ 240/246/262 (other than the M-D) just go into the Lens Profiles and set the profile for the lens. Any goodness the six bit profile applies to the lens performance will be applied that way.

I have two M fifties at present, a Color Skopar 50/2.5 and a Nokton 50/1.5. I've been thinking of buying a Leica 50 too, to get the six bit coding and for the Leica lenses' particular rendering signature. But I can't quite decide which one yet. I've had Summicrons in the past and never had a moment's doubt about them, a Summilux would be nice, a Summarit also, and then of course there's the Noctilux (I could just barely afford a used one...). Until I make a decision, I'll keep shooting with the Color Skopar and Nokton ... they actually work very well.

Thanks Jeff, GAS is the only issue. The slight increase in speed is a positive as I like to shoot wide open. But mainly GAS. 

Refreshingly candid.

Enjoy....until the next bout.  :)

BTW, for speed and rendering, the 50 Summilux ASPH is also a terrific lens....I've enjoyed mine for many years....no desire or need to change.  I'd probably feel the same about a 50 Summicron if that's what I used.  Not really any bad Leica lenses (and great options from other manufacturers, too).

Jeff

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Refreshingly candid.

Enjoy....until the next bout.  :)

BTW, for speed and rendering, the 50 Summilux ASPH is also a terrific lens....I've enjoyed mine for many years....no desire or need to change.  I'd probably feel the same about a 50 Summicron if that's what I used.  Not really any bad Leica lenses (and great options from other manufacturers, too).

Jeff

I expect the next bout of GAS will be for a Lux... There was one on their website but it was £200 more and older than me. Hopefully the cron willl keep me happy for a while :)

I have both the cron v4 (actually 2 copies, don't ask) and the Summarit 2.5. I swap between them, love the small compact form of the Summi and its perfect aperture ring haptics. But right now one of the cron's finds itself on one M3 (the other has the APO-Telyt). Enjoy your cron, great lens.

• Like 1

The one downside to manual setting for lens recognition is when you have found an optimal selection which may not actually match the lens in question. Zeiss, for example, suggest you use Leica 28mm settings for their 35 2.8 ZM – which is fine if over the years you keep swapping lenses and you wonder, looking at LR library, 'was that really a 28mm image?'. I used to use the Noctilux setting for my v4 5mm Summicron, which was fine as I am never likely to aspire to that lens  :) .

Edited by microview
  • Like 1

It turns out the lens isn't six bit coded. Does this matter?

Thanks 

Rob

It might. My original 50 Summicron v5 was not coded. I felt it wasn't as sharp as my other lenses so took a risk and bought a coded version off eBay. The coded version was better adjusted than my uncoded lens, presumably because it was more recent and adjusted with digital in mind. With that in mind, check its focus adjustment carefully.

The 50 Summicron-M v5 is my favourite lens at present. I'm considering selling my 50 Summilux Asph due to its larger size. I like the sharpness of the Summicron, and its swirly out-of-focus areas.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

My Nepal photos on this page are with the 50 Summicron v5. It's a good compromise for speed and portability.

Pete

• Like 3

It might. My original 50 Summicron v5 was not coded. I felt it wasn't as sharp as my other lenses so took a risk and bought a coded version off eBay. The coded version was better adjusted than my uncoded lens, presumably because it was more recent and adjusted with digital in mind. With that in mind, check its focus adjustment carefully.

The 50 Summicron-M v5 is my favourite lens at present. I'm considering selling my 50 Summilux Asph due to its larger size. I like the sharpness of the Summicron, and its swirly out-of-focus areas.

attachicon.gifL1003282.jpg

My Nepal photos on this page are with the 50 Summicron v5. It's a good compromise for speed and portability.

Pete

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on the sharpness. Seems alright so far but not done any in depth tests. The image you shared is amazing! I look forward to looking at the rest of the series.

I do like to shoot wide open so I would use f2, but as it's only half a stop will it make much difference?

Apropos of this, the opinion of 'michaelwj' was unfortunately glossed over by later posters.

FWIW, this was my experience.

Shooting at f/2 is my preference as well and whilst the Summicron and it's Mandler-look was lovely, I much preferred the bokeh of the 50 Rigid I had access to for a short while. I swapped the v.5 for a Summilux and found it harder to hit precise focus correctly (perhaps my sample needed some adjustment) but interestingly enough, f/1.4 was less meaningful than I'd anticipated--portraits with a single eye in-focus get old quickly. I sold off the Summilux at break-even, along with other idle DSLR glass and saved up until I came across a 50 APO for a price I could at least rationalize--again, more out of unrequited curiosity.

I'm a Monichrom shooter only and the results at f/2 are a revelation. The gentle, unobtrusive bokeh only further accentuates the subject isolation, a result of the staggering resolution not reached by any other lens I've ever used until f/~5.6.

You have started down a dangerous Path, I'm afraid....

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Only the chrome Bernard because that's what they have on stock. The ffordes one is cheaper and a bit newer by the looks of it. Leica Manchester have said they'd knock some money off but not sure how much. Is the silver more sort after or are they just spinning me a yarn?

I have the steel grey m9.

Has anyone used the lens tabs? Are they as good as the built in tabs?

I haven't tried the 50mm cron though I thought the 35mm was ok but maybe too wide for me, I don't get into Manchester much so don't have lots of opportunities to try them out. If I want it before Christmas today is probably going to be the last chance I get.

Lens tabs: they seem to be habit forming; probably just as well to not get the habit.  Why? If you use a tripod with a large head surface, the tabs will interfere with  it.  Apparently this is only true with Leicas up to and including the M9.  Regards, Ron

P.S.  addition: the same focusing tabs block the use of the Leica vented lens hood in the inverted position with the 14033 Leitz lens cap in place.

Edited by Ronazle
  • Like 1

Lens tabs: they seem to be habit forming; probably just as well to not get the habit. Why? If you use a tripod with a large head surface, the tabs will interfere with it. Apparently this is only true with Leicas up to and including the M9. Regards, Ron

P.S. addition: the same focusing tabs block the use of the Leica vented lens hood in the inverted position with the 14033 Leitz lens cap in place.

Thanks for the tip! I'm not missing the tabs so I think I'll stick with it as is for now.

Gorgeous, Pete. Perfect Nepal lens. 

Did you (anyone) know cron v4/5 is sharper at F/2 closeup than 50 lux ASPH?

32357547876_b72a1eb3b7_b.jpg
L1056632 by US Alpine Championships, 50 cron WO M9

Mine is tabbed from 80s :)

Did you know this lens can only be beaten today by a very few 50s?

f22.jpg

Sometime you will hear somebody say: oh, just get a planar, cheaper and just as good. The planar is better for flare, and possibly bokeh, but that chart shows it is no match for the cron in pure performance. These numbers are for infinity. Close range at f/2 it would be even stronger, I learned from Puts, and my shooting seems to bear it out. 

At F/8 it is off the hook for landscape. 

Not only was this Mandler's greatest lens, the best 50 of the 20th century, today it is the best value for perfmorance/size/price of any M lens, or just any lens, period. A nice tabbed one can be found for about 900USD.

It's taken me several years to understand just how good it is. :)

It's also very friendly to stock Sony cameras.

Edited by uhoh7

Great lenses on Leica and Sony bodies for sure and my v4 has been my favorite 50 for 20+ years but lenses as sharp in edges and center at f2 are yet to be made IMHO. At least i have never seen this so far. This is not even true for the 50/2 apo. Not to say that my v4 & v5 are soft of course but my 50/1.4 asph is sharper at f/2 in borders and corners by a significant margin. FWIW.

Great lenses on Leica and Sony bodies for sure and my v4 has been my favorite 50 for 20+ years but lenses as sharp in edges and center at f2 are yet to be made IMHO. At least i have never seen this so far. This is not even true for the 50/2 apo. Not to say that my v4 & v5 are soft of course but my 50/1.4 asph is sharper at f/2 in borders and corners by a significant margin. FWIW.

Full test details

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/06/comparing-rangefinder-and-slr-50mm-lenses-version-0-7/

The numbers do not indicate the lens is just as good at the edge. Look at astig. :)

The Lux has huge mid zone dip. But at infinity it beats the cron f/2. However, Puts reports in his blog, that the cron was better f/2 closeup. I began trying to observe this.

note left edge, the mirror

16059041051_9ab217748a_b.jpg

Jack by unoh7, on Flickr

This could be true. The 90AA is not near as strong closeup as mid distance. I never got great results with my 50 cron at f/2 mid distance or on out (though test does show it should be good), but once I read Puts I have shot it close more often. It totally rips at F/2: beyond belief. Which is weird, cause as you know, at F/8 it is so good at infinity.

I would like a Lux very much, but this thought has kept the wolf at bay ;)

In that same review he declared the Lux ASPH was better WO than the pre-asph at 5.6, so this remark about the cron really caught my eye. He was not talking about the APO cron, but my little ugly one :) Overall he is a big fan of Lux ASPH.

Edited by uhoh7