Advice on a 50mm Summicron

Robert M Poole

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, I'm considering trading in my 50mm (f2.5) Summarit for this could anyone give me any advice? Is 6bit coded in excellent condition 9.5/10 according to the website. The store say the silver chrome are now sort after? Sorry for the vague question.

www.robertpoolephotography.com

It is a very classy lens. I have the plain black version, and it is a joy to use. I added the 2.5 Summarit because I liked the handling of the 35 version, with the slightly smaller size and focus tab. I find the images comparable, but notice I tend to nail focus better with the Summicron, as the focus action on the Summarit may be a bit too quick.

Tests say the Summicron has a bit more focus shift as it stops down, but I haven't found it to be an issue for me.

I use the Summarit more, but sometimes the f2 is nice, and the smooth, precise feel of the Summicron is a joy.

You may not notice a difference in images, but every Leica owner should have a 50 Summicron.

• Like 1

I'm going to go with Tom,

Do you want a focus tab or not?

Do you need f/2?

Apart from those two points, is is really going to change your photography?

I don't think everyone should own a 50 summicron, but you should at least have owned one!

(I sold mine...)

I do like the focus tab on my Summarit but i never missed it on other lenses. I do like to shoot wide open so I would use f2, but as it's only half a stop will it make much difference?

I do like the focus tab on my Summarit but i never missed it on other lenses. I do like to shoot wide open so I would use f2, but as it's only half a stop will it make much difference?

Try/ test and compare the two lenses , you can always use an add-on removable tab - http://www.lenstab.com - .

It's not only about half a stop difference, more about the rendering , have you tried the Summicron on you M9?

This silver version is heavier and nearly double the weight of your Summarit. 

I'd keep the Summarit and get a 5cm Summicron Collapsible or a Rigid or an old Summarit 1.5 .

I'm afraid I'm not helping much here ...

Edited by JMF

Does it have to be chrome as the black ones seem to be cheaper ffordes has one at the moment, also I don't think I would trade-in anymore, have you tried mpb they will give a better than trade-in price.

As for the six bit coding I wouldn't pay extra in fact I would maybe look for one uncoded as its so easy to change the mounts with a chinese made one for £15ish including postage, the coded lens you buy how do you know where the mount has come from unless its a lens made after the coding started.

good luck.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The perennial question!

I'd give up the half stop for the focus tab, but that's me. I wouldn't sacrifice ergonomics for rendering either, but again, we're all different.

Make a list of things you want in a lens, prioritise them, and see where it takes you. On the other hand, if the money is not an issue, just buy it. You can always sell the one you don't like.

• Like 2

Does it have to be chrome as the black ones seem to be cheaper ffordes has one at the moment, also I don't think I would trade-in anymore, have you tried mpb they will give a better than trade-in price.

As for the six bit coding I wouldn't pay extra in fact I would maybe look for one uncoded as its so easy to change the mounts with a chinese made one for £15ish including postage, the coded lens you buy how do you know where the mount has come from unless its a lens made after the coding started.

good luck.

Only the chrome Bernard because that's what they have on stock. The ffordes one is cheaper and a bit newer by the looks of it. Leica Manchester have said they'd knock some money off but not sure how much. Is the silver more sort after or are they just spinning me a yarn?

I have the steel grey m9.

Has anyone used the lens tabs? Are they as good as the built in tabs?

I haven't tried the 50mm cron though I thought the 35mm was ok but maybe too wide for me, I don't get into Manchester much so don't have lots of opportunities to try them out. If I want it before Christmas today is probably going to be the last chance I get.

• Like 1

I was hoping you guys would all just say, "get the cron"

Get the Cron, I have a black version, it is lovely... great OOF rendering , smooth !

The silver edition is even nicer :-)

I use the removable lens taabs myself, great little piece of gear. Better than the stick on focus tabs one can find on ebay which I've tried as well.

here a shot with the cron 50 pre apo + M9 :

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by JMF

Get the 50 APO  :)  :) or save for a s/h Summilux. Seriously though: I found the silver 50 too heavy vs the black and I have to say (and did in an old post) that I couldn't tell the diference at f2.8 between a new Summarit 50 f2.4 and my then 50 Summilux ASPH. I doubt that you'd find any significant improvement by getting rid of the earlier Summarit.

• Like 3

I like those two lenses even if i don't use much the 50/2 anymore due to the arrival of a 50/2 apo in my lens stable. But the 50/2 v4 has been my favorite 50 for 20+ years and the v5 is even better (less flare) due to modern coatings probably. Now my only question is do you need f/2? If yes, take the 50/2. If not, the 50/2.5 is a better lens objectively in that is has less CA, less focus shift and more sharpness in borders and corners below f/4. Only problem with the 50/2.5 is the necessity to use a hood to avoid nasty flare when strong light sources are outside the frame. But the Summicron is not a flare free lens either and its vestigial built-in hood is of little efficiency. It just doesn't have the nasty flare of the 50/2.5 i was referring to. You cannot go wrong with either lens anyway.

• Like 3

To follow-up on lct's post the V4 will get you the same great optical formula (except for the newer coating science), a built-in tab, a smaller size and it's available in chrome. It will need a hood but it would seem that hood would be functional :). It would be harder to find a copy and it will certainly not be cheap (V4s are going up in price). And 'by Christmas' is almost certainly out of the question unless you throw some real money at a shipping option.

Remembering that Christmas has become an irrational holiday,

s-a

• Like 1

Well... I did it. Thanks for all the advice (they say people ask advice for only one of two reasons 1: so they can ignore it. 2: So they can blame you if something goes wrong) The guys at Leica Store Manchester did me a great deal on the Cron with a very competitive PX on my Summarit and FX18-55. Only one problem, my wife spotted the Sofort in Mint blue and has decided she wants one (and it just so happens that nowhere has one in stock). 

• Like 2

Well... I did it. Thanks for all the advice (they say people ask advice for only one of two reasons 1: so they can ignore it. 2: So they can blame you if something goes wrong) The guys at Leica Store Manchester did me a great deal on the Cron with a very competitive PX on my Summarit and FX18-55. Only one problem, my wife spotted the Sofort in Mint blue and has decided she wants one (and it just so happens that nowhere has one in stock). 

Congrats on the purchase ! Let's hope you find the blue Sofort soon ... btw sofort means immediately :-)

Congrats on the purchase ! Let's hope you find the blue Sofort soon ... btw sofort means immediately :-)

Apparently the MD of Leica UK rang the store trying to get one, they're like rocking horse **** at the moment. I informed the store that they were to under no circumstances give it to him before me though. Immediately sounds about right with my wife.