How would you like to see a true á la carte M digital camera?

pgk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

By which, at the risk of starting a contentious thread (no not really - an interesting and insightful thread perhaps), I mean; if you could order your 'ideal/dream' dRF from Leica, what features would you like? I know that there will be vast differences in opinions and desires but imagining a true 'á la carte' digital mix'n match camera, what would you want it to feature?

My own ideal would be an M4 as in just that, fully mechanical, fully manual - more or less just as it is in fact, but fitted with a digital sensor (20~30MPixels would be fine) and rear screen. There would be a RAW histogram view, and no ISO adjustment as it would only shoot RAW and everything, including gain, would have to be adjusted in post processing. As concessions to later technology It would have a basic hotshoe and a single flash socket on the front (and perhaps a simple cente-weighted meter - 3 leds in the viewfinder - but I'm far from sure that I'd bother with one although since it would need to be powered it would seem churlish not to have one). It would need 6-bit recognition for lenses and a method of inputting details for uncoded lenses, so a very few buttons maybe.

An absolute 'purists' camera in a way ;)  with absolutely no frills at all - the bare minimum in fact.

Certainly not everybody's cup of tea. But I'd be happy with it. Does it appeal to anyone else in fact?

Edited by pgk
  • Like 1

- M9 body, with vulcanite and black painted brass.

- CCD with improved higher iso handling... say up to a usable 6400 would be enough.

- Better rear LCD. No ISO button but keep the M9 type access to change ISO.

- Interchangeable sensor :)  With both colour and monochrome available.

• Like 1

By which, at the risk of starting a contentious thread (no not really - an interesting and insightful thread perhaps), I mean; if you could order your 'ideal/dream' dRF from Leica, what features would you like? I know that there will be vast differences in opinions and desires but imagining a true 'á la carte' digital mix'n match camera, what would you want it to feature?

My own ideal would be an M4 as in just that, fully mechanical, fully manual - more or less just as it is in fact, but fitted with a digital sensor (20~30MPixels would be fine) and rear screen. There would be a RAW histogram view, and no ISO adjustment as it would only shoot RAW and everything, including gain, would have to be adjusted in post processing. As concessions to later technology It would have a basic hotshoe and a single flash socket on the front (and perhaps a simple cente-weighted meter - 3 leds in the viewfinder - but I'm far from sure that I'd bother with one although since it would need to be powered it would seem churlish not to have one). It would need 6-bit recognition for lenses and a method of inputting details for uncoded lenses, so a very few buttons maybe.

An absolute 'purists' camera in a way ;)  with absolutely no frills at all - the bare minimum in fact.

Certainly not everybody's cup of tea. But I'd be happy with it. Does it appeal to anyone else in fact?

Yes... it does me.

Don't need a flash socket on the front, (the original M4 had two sockets on the back... so it should go there... if at all).

I would also like the use of an EVF as an accessory, which means LV... (and if you could record the feed to the SD card, then fine, thats a nice freebie  ;) ) I would also like aperture priority auto... 

(Oh wait... isn't that a M4 sized Leica M240P with the menu set accordingly????) :p

Phew... just saved myself a load of money...!

Edited by Bill Livingston
  • Like 1

I don't understand.  You're saying it should have a digital sensor and a screen. So how would it be "fully mechanical, fully manual" like an M4? Clockwork-timed cloth shutter with mechanical recocking?  What's the point?  If it's digital it has to be completely battery dependent, an electronic shutter is far more consistent and accurate, and Leica has already shown they can make the shutter recharge as quiet as a film M. 

• Like 3

What's the point?

The point is ..... that I like it. Not intending to start an argument. My intent was simply to get people to state their preferencies - regardless of how crazy they are.

And as a useful bit. If the battery only had to power the imagey bit then it could last a long time - useful if away from charging possibilities :D .

Edited by pgk

An M? So, optical rangefinder? How far can I go?

M Edition 60, with the ability to upgrade the sensor when new M sensors come along, one frameline per lens (read from the 6 bit coding) and the little gauge at the bottom like the SL showing how far over and under exposed you are when shooting manual.

WiFi, maybe? Not sure what I'd adjust ...

• Like 1

Strap lugs on one end

My 5D with an RRS baseplate effectively offered this as an option and I really liked it - never understood why it wasn't retained as its a very effective way of retaining/carrying a camera in readiness.

Because when you look down at it dangling on your chest you can't check the aperture, speed and distance settings.

Not a problem for me - these are always 'preset' anyway. And rather less of a problem on the 5D because they aren't visible ;) .

99.9 % of the time the camera is hanging of a shoulder . I can't remember seeing anyone hanging it from the knock

How odd that I see most cameras hanging around people's necks and not their shoulders, certainly when they are in the process of using them rather than carrying them from one place to another.

• Like 1

99.9 % of the time the camera is hanging of a shoulder . I can't remember seeing anyone hanging it from the knock

Hmm, I always carry the camera on a diagonal strap, carried safely and easily raised to the eye.

• Like 1

Hanging the camera on a shoulder seems to be one of those things people seem to equate with photojournalists whereas around the neck is equated with tourists.   Although I recall seeing images of photojournalists in the 50s-60s with multiple cameras around their necks.  Personally I always felt wearing a camera off my shoulder made me a more attractive target for snatch-n-grab thievery.   And there was that one time I was reaching for the flush lever and my camera slipped down my arm (despite a very grippy strap pad) and into the toilet.  Fortunately the camera was in a neoprene glove which kept the camera clean and dry, and it was a Canon Rebel, so even if it hadn't survived it wouldn't have been a major loss.  But my Leica's stay around my neck whether I look like a tourist or not.

• Like 1

Hmm, I always carry the camera on a diagonal strap, carried safely and easily raised to the eye.

Me too. Try climbing over a stile with a camera perched on one shoulder and you'll understand why I do that. The same applies if walking a boisterous dog held back on a lead.

• Like 2

Me too. Try climbing over a stile with a camera perched on one shoulder and you'll understand why I do that. The same applies if walking a boisterous dog held back on a lead.

And hanging around the neck - I've slammed too many cameras when tying a shoelace. Besides, I dislike the phallic symbol association of a camera protruding from the belly.