JOBO CPE 3 question

Wayne

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The proceeds from this year's football officiating activity went to the purchase of a JOBO CPE-3, with lift. While it is priced in accordance with fine German manufacturing effort, it does not exude same; in fact, I was somewhat surprised how flimsy and poorly fitted it is.

It does work, but to watch it in operation does not give confidence it will do so for years to come. Of particular concern is visible flex in the lift mechanism plastic structure whenever rotation of the developing tank reverses. While the unit was purchased new, it did not include anything but the most basic illustrations and instructions pertaining to assembly and operation....And I mean MOST basic. So basic that they serve no other purpose than to illustrate the fact that it can be assembled, and that it should work, once assembled.

As the instructions do not include anything giving proper terminology for the various components/parts that comprise the CPE-3, I will have to refer to things by description.

In the front of the lift unit there is a cog (the main drive cog.) This cog transfers rotational force to the developing tank through a molded plastic spool (white in color) with integral cogs on both ends. This spool is mounted in the plastic lift mechanism structure and is the source of the flex I referred to previously. My particular unit has only one such spool, but it is obvious that a second, identical spool could be installed on the opposite side of the structure. It occurs to me that such a second spool could go far in reducing/evening torsional force causing the excessive flex on one side of my CPE-3. Considering the overall cheapness of construction, it occurs to me, it is entirely possible the second spool was not not installed before shipping.

Does anyone else have this unit? Does your CPE-3 include one, or two, of the spools I have described?

Is this thing new?

You will probably only have one spool

The rotating tank should sit on two rollers, one at the top end by the lift and one at the bottom of the tank. If you are processing paper, then there may need to be a third set to take the additional length of the paper tank.

If you only have one set of rollers to sit the tank on, it will wobbly about like a drunk in a brewery

Thanks for the response. Yes, it was purchased new.

I am using the small tank. The problem was somewhat alleviated when I moved the rollers about 5/6 of the way back on the developing tank. Instructions recommended 2/3 of the way back. With rollers in the recommended position I was having trouble with intermittent gear grinding.

Edited by Wayne
  • Like 1

While it is priced in accordance with fine German manufacturing effort, it does not exude same; in fact, I was somewhat surprised how flimsy and poorly fitted it is.

You say it, I know it. It is hopeless for this amount of money. There are much better alternatives like the Heiland TAS processor or the Stark rotary processor.

• Like 1

While I stand by my initial quality statement, I do feel compelled to add:

Now that I have adjusted the rollers to a position further back on the tank, the intermittent grinding has stopped. Additionally, the thing DOES work. In fact, it works so well that I find myself shooting color film with an enthusiasm I find surprising............given my previous reluctance to get the equipment out for less automated, i.e. full manual, C41 processing.

I suppose, if it lasts 10 years, I will not regret spending the money.

Well, I have a CPA-2 with elevator, a bit refurbished with the easy roller modification, a new re-ciculation pump and a new elevator. I made this 6 years ago but the Jobo processor was for free.

Further I have a Heiland TAS inverse processing robot. Comparing both the Heiland is better build however this new CPE-3 is flimsy and even not half the quality the old Jobo's were build. Looking at the STARK processors, they are build like the Heiland. I wish you luck with your Jobo CPE-3 and hope for you it will survive 10 years.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

@fotohuis

Thanks for taking the time to pass on the information about Heiland and Stark. I watched a YouTube video on the Stark unit. I definitely looks to be a more solidly built machine. If the Jobo gives up, I would probably go with the Stark. However, I do like the JOBO lift feature.  

I suppose the two most disappointing features of the JOBO CPE-3 are 1) the quality of the plastic tank; 2) the considerable flex I see in the rather flimsy plastic lift structure when the rotation reverses. I have been considering means of reinforcing the area of flex, but have no solid (pardon the pun) answer for it yet. I should be able to overcome the flimsy tank by using caution when I move the unit. It is like anything else: when quality is low in areas that are openly obvious, it makes you wonder what the hidden/internal components are like.

Again, thanks for the benefit of your experience and knowledge.

Wayne

Indeed, the Stark has no lift however it can adapt also other film drums from Kaiser, Paterson, Kindermann apart from the Jobo drums. And it is a little bit cheaper then the Jobo CPE-3. In an extended version it can also handle the big Jobo Expert drums.

A bit flexibility in the Jobo lift is normal. But the very thin tank made material is a bit crappy. If you look at the CPA-2/CPP-2 (and also the new CPP-3) they can do it better. If this CPE-3 had a China price of a few hundred Euro you would say OK, you have got where you have paid for but for this premium Jobo price it should be better made. Also the use of some 3D printed materials is like almost a proto type version.

A proto type version of the TAS I had in 2004, also for de-bugging the software for Heiland. We made some changes in the practical way at the end. This film processor has been built like a tank. Half price comparing to that Jobo CPE-3 but of course without temperature control so for B&W development only.

The first Stark SST-4 is going out within 2 weeks. For what I have seen at KDS it is a very sturdy and well build rotary processor. I have all confidence in it. BTW it is also available for 115V-120V-60Hz instead of the regular 230V-50Hz version.

• Like 1