viewfinders for 21mm and 24mm

kengai

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am a huge fan of the round CV 21/25 cheap bright and IMO much better than the latest Leica, I spent some time comparing and apart from the latest Leica being a little better at keeping the white frame visible at all angles and lights it's worse for flare and not as clear or bright as the CV, this covers 21 and 24 really well

I have CV VFs in 21, 28 and 35. With the 35 either the internal square mask or the framelines rotated about 20 degrees off-level (can't remember, it's been a while). The vendor replaced it immediately; quite professional. Recently the 28's mask has rotated. My solution was to buy a beat up square Leica VF off the interwebs.

The CVs are small, bright and beautiful but the circular construction (in my opinion) makes them prone to the problems I have had. I'll probably invest in a spanner and see if I can effect my own repairs, they can't be that complicated. I also bought a Leica 21 and it's gorgeous to look through and to look at too, but Leica's prices on these are now insane for the benefits. (N.B: I got my 21 back before the most recent huge increase and was able to get the then current 12% promo on top of that.)

Still, buy what you want and move on,

s-a

Maybe I've been lucky but used Leica 18 and CV for 12, 15, 21/25 my 21/25 has a lot of the paint polished off now with so much use and all have been good with no problems, the 18 IMO is not as nice to look through and does flare, I took it back and the others were the same, sold my 18 now but still got my viewfinder !

If you have M that can accept an EVF, it makes sense to get one. I have a 21 VC which came with the plastic viewfinder. it gives a good approximation of the final image – after making experiential compensations since it is usually mounted on a ThumbsUp. I am keeping the viewfinder as I need it if I use the lens with my M9, but it is the EVF for framing on my MP; focussing is still easiest with the rangefinder. Similarly, I find that focusing my 135 Elmarit with the rangefinder first helps with final focusing and framing its the EVF, if needed.

Jean-Michel

I had the Leica 21 OVF. It would catch in the bag, it spoiled the look of the camera and I hated having to focus through one viewfinder and then frame in another. I dropped it (and chipped the glass), then I lost it. Despite its expense, it won't be missed.

When I use my 21 on an M camera, I just focus, and guess. Most of the time, I use the 21 on my SL - it handles better, the EVF is fantastic; accurate and bright. But, if I had an M(240), I'd get the Olympus VF-2 (despite its shortcomings).

My opinion (based entirely on what I actually use).

1. Most Precise is the Frankenfinder - had one, used it, like the view, hated its bulk, got rid of it.

2. Usable: current 21 viewfinder from Leica for my current 21mm SEM lens. I also have an old 21 viewfinder from Leica (came with my 21 Super-Angulon (SA)). Both work perfectly adequately. Neither are precise, but you know what, it doesn't matter, the SEM and SA have slightly different field of view anyway ;) . You learn to use whatever viewfinder you have with experience. I like the current 21 viewfinder from Leica the most as its small and viable. No other reasons :) .

One last thing. Depending on your view on messing up the camera. A bit of sticky tape or an elastic band stops the viewfinder from coming off too easily, but yes it does catch on the bag and is a bit of a pain to have on the camera. I've learned to accept that - the world is an imperfect place.

Edited by pgk
  • Like 1

I have owned the Zeiss 25mm and the Leica both 21 and 24mm black steel versions. All were very good but the Leica's are too expensive and I agree that loss of value is likely. Personally I hated using them and this was surely one reason that esp. my 21mm saw little use and eventually was sold. 

If (or should this be when) I repurchase a 24mm lens I will use it without viewfinder on my M9 (and, of course, with EVF on the SL). 

I really like a good optical viewfinder, even if it's external.  If shooting prefocused/hyperfocal with a 21 then using those big bright optical VF's just to frame is a pleasure.  Not so having to quickly move between the camera's OVF to focus/check exposure and external VF for framing - but that's part of the charm of Leica RFs.

The Zeiss 21mm OVF is gorgeous to look through but it's very big and those sharp corners were always catching onto camera straps etc. The Leica 21mm VF is an appropriate size compromise.  Furthermore, my testing found that it was harder to align using the Zeiss than Leica VF as the centre of the Zeiss VF was more off centre than the camera's own viewfinder which introduced a rotational error with framing which is very hard to correct.  You may find this thread interesting: 

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/144842-21mm-viewfinder-leica-or-zeiss/page-1

Post #9 by previous forum member budrichard, and then my findings in post #66 confirming this. Over the duration of this thread I changed from the Zeiss to Leica finder with no regrets.

Edited by MarkP

For 24 and 21 mm focal lengths, I use the Voigtländer 21/25mm viewfinder available from CameraQuest.com amongst others. It works well enough for me and isn't overly bulky or expensive (about $210). Voigtländer also has a multi-angle optical viewfinder covering 15 to 35mm focal lengths; it's a bit pricey at $510 or so. I have been thinking I should get one of those since I have the WATE and use it on the M-D fairly frequently.

If it has not been improved,  it is the worst Leica product I ever bought.  No BL , no way to center your eye which you must do to use the edges accurately.  I use mine for a paperweight.

Maybe you are inclined to sell me that paperweight. I have a lot of papers around...  :D