Just a Leica D2 for travel, or X Vario or Q?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am a Leica D2 owner, and love the look i get from it. I love the versatility of the 28-90 lens. However i have a big trip coming up to China, once in a life time type thing. I am really tempted to get an used X Vario or leica Q. The bigger sensors and better ISO potential, I'm thinking, would be more reassuring on such a trip. Would users here travel with just a D2 in tow, or opt for a more modern camera?   

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I do not know the D-Lux 2 and its limits. The X Vario would certainly do, if you can buy a used one. The zoom range is more limited as is the lens's speed. The lack in zoom might be compensated for by the larger sensor, the lack of speed by ISO that is usable up to ISO 1600.

A Q looks too limited for me with a fixed focal length of 28mm (and its crop option). I took my Ricoh GR, which has a focal length of 28mm equiv., with me on some vacations and found this limiting. A moderate zoom lens is more flexible on vacations.

Best regards, Gerd

PS: My wife uses a Sony RX100 M1 on our vacations -- not too bad...

The D2 was a fantastic travel camera in its day. However your question suggests you would like a more advanced model for such an important trip.

I have experience with all of your options and believe a modern addition would leave you with fewer regrets in the future. Either of the XV or Q would satisfy you. Unless you anticipate much indoor photography in low light, the XV would be the more versatile camera and, handled thoughtfully, is an extremely capable camera. Take a Pixie mini-tripod for help indoors.

The used XV would be the less expensive option. But buy from a reputable dealer to gain after-sales support if you need it. Also allow some time to practise before you leave. Don't discover vital questions once you are in China. Help is at hand in this forum. Do update us.

• 3 weeks later...

For a once in a lifetime trip I'd take along a second camera. If it has to be Leica, I'd go for the DLUX 109. Else, I do shoot a lot with m43 ... An E-M1 (Mark I) / 12-40 combo is fantastic and probably not extremely expensive nowadays.

• Like 2

For a once in a lifetime trip I'd take along a second camera. If it has to be Leica, I'd go for the DLUX 109. Else, I do shoot a lot with m43 ... An E-M1 (Mark I) / 12-40 combo is fantastic and probably not extremely expensive nowadays.

This is excellent advice, please take it!   A 'once in a lifetime' trip needs the same care as pro photographers apply to their everyday work and a pro will always have a spare camera body on hand should the worse happen.  A retired national and international photo journalist and fellow Leica Fellowship member drummed this into me before I embarked on an expensive safari in Botswana many years ago.  I have complied with his advice ever since and never regretted it.

• Like 2

D-Lux 109 is technically a good device.

But its menu es extraordinarily complex, resembles a true labyrinth and unfortunately very distant from an intuitive camera...

Guy

When I switched from a Nikon DSLR to a 109 I as pleasantly surprised at the comparative simplicity of the menu system!

I rarely delve into the menu, once I had it set up I found that everything I need to access regularly is available on the buttons on the back of the camera.

• Like 2

Hello,

OK, but you undoubtedly did not taste in Leica X (X1, X2 or X Vario)...

I have Digilux 2, X Vario but also a D-Lux 5.

This last returned image very good but I do not prefer to speak about his horrible finely and note about use which are however less complex than that of the 109...

It comprises  tons of functions for which one does not have need and the unit is very badly explained in its note which resembles an encyclopaedia...

Guy

• Like 1

We do not have to use all those functions Guy. I have the Pana version of the DL109 and my eye remains stuck to the viewfinder. I don't even use the LCD to format my SD cards... Same with my Sony and Fuji mirrorless cameras. Main difference with "simpler" cameras like Leica Ms is that the latter offer less choices, which can be the best thing but also the worse one if remaining choices don't fit our needs.

• Like 1

I just saw an E-M1 w/12-40 used in very good condition in a local (Zurich) camera store for around CHF 900. Cheaper than a new DLUX. Larger too, of course. But it is a fantastic travel setup, if the size is still acceptable.

I took to Japan my M8 with the Sony A7 as backup. I took 3 pictures with the Sony and kept it in the bag the whole trip, next time I wouldn't bother with 2 cameras. If I were you -but I am not- I would take an X Vario only.

• 1 month later...

I assume by D2 you mean Digilux 2? Yes, I believe you would appreciate a more modern camera. The X-V, which is now discontinued, would fit the bill. I believe it would be more similar to your Digilux than a Panasonic LX100/ Leica D-Lux

Another option, to be really minimalist, would be a Leica X or X-E. For me. I'd find a 35mm-equiv. lens more versatile than a 28, but that may just be me.

• 2 months later...

By "more modern" you mean more pixel (photo and video) and higher ISO?

As far as I can recall, I did not get much chance and need to shoot indoors except in the hotel, restaurant, and department store. I did not find high ISO any important, nor the high pixel count in photo. HD video clip can be useful though. All these occasions were actually better covered by the cell phones., mostly by my wife, by the way.

My habit is a Leica prime (M9 + 50mm or 35mm summicron) as the primary tool plus a mid zoon (digilux2 or X vario or T+ 18-56mm). Recently my T has "lens error problems" and is replacing the whole electronic board by Leica (not vack yet), but I sold xVario (the biggest mistake of the centuary), so I pull out the digilux 2 again. Thought nothing new to me, I am evene is more surprised by how amazing the digitlux 2 can do. No, there is nothing (major) missing compared to x vario or T.

However, if you can get a Q, i would strongly recommend it. It is not to replace Digilux 2, but as a complement.

I am not particular care the Dlux 109. Like all Dlux line, it is still a Panasonic camera except they pay Leica to put the red dot on it. It is a fantastic Japanese breed camera, just like many other Japanese cameras, such a Fujifilm X20 or Sony RX, but with bigger sensor. Not inferior, but just different from the other Leica breed lines (X, S, SL, Q).

Paddy -

I used to have a D2 which I loved, but eventually sold because its limitations compared to the newer cameras I had I finally found wanting.  However, since you've not used newer cameras, you will not have that issue. Since the D2 came out 13 years ago, there have been so many advances  (if we ignore the sensor size issues) with things like electronic viewfinders and the reaction speed of the camera (including auto focus if you use it) that you may want to consider a change, but to what?

The XV when I first tried it about three years ago struck me as the new D2, partly because of its analog controls, and partly because of the same zoom range as the D2.  However, if you use the viewfinder on your D2 you would not be satisfied with the XV without also buying the accessory electronic viewfinder.  Ultimately I did not buy the XV, but had I wanted a newer version of the D2 I'd have done so.

The Q is a terrific camera, but think of how often you use your D2 at other than the widest zoom setting.  The Q's lens has a fixed focal length of 28 MM.

I've had several models of the D-Lux series, some in Leica version, some in Panasonic, and currently have the 109 primarily as a backup camera, and seldom use it, but am always happy I have it along for peace of mind, not to mention those few times when it is the better choice for a photo situation.  I would never take a holiday trip without bringing it along as backup in case the primary camera fails, and we travel a great deal, always with carryon luggage only.  There are some idiosyncrasies to the camera which you must know about so you can use the camera well.  It's a bit too easy to unknowingly move the exposure compensation wheel, so I always check when taking the camera out of my back pack.  With the camera turned on the electronic viewfinder switches on automatically when the camera senses it is at your eye.  There is a very slight lag which you must get used to.  The autofocus is excellent, but manual focus is just a bit limited, which doesn't seem to really matter since the camera will help you along in that direction.  Most new cameras which can function as a point and shoot camera (the 109 is both point and shoot and user controlled) turn on with their lenses at the widest setting of their zoom, but the 109 can start at where you last shot with it.  One advantage of the 109 is a software function (which once set you can forget about it) which uses interpolation to double the long end of the zoom focal length with what I find to be imperceptible loss of image quality.

If you can afford to keep your D2 as the main camera -- It is a camera which seems to be better than it should be and is exceptionally good -- I'd keep it but bring along the 109 as backup.  China is too interesting and fascinating to risk a camera failure during your holiday.

And bring a spare battery for each camera.  If you do get the 109 consider buying the automatically opening and closing lens cap so you won't lose a lens cap.

Please let us know what decide, and please show us your photos when you return.

• 2 months later...

I just saw an E-M1 w/12-40 used in very good condition in a local (Zurich) camera store for around CHF 900. Cheaper than a new DLUX. Larger too, of course. But it is a fantastic travel setup, if the size is still acceptable.

This has been my travel setup for a couple of years now. Excellent camera! But bulky, especially with that lens.

This next trip, I'm taking a 109. Same range, smaller size, faster lens.