Sell the 35 summilux fle for 28 summicron?

Mr.Q

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

When I read all of these discussions, I think I will keep my superb and very efficient silver brass summicron Asph 35 mm F2, as well as my equally superb summicron 28mm F2 V1 on top of my black chrome 50mm summilux 50 ASPH. I also always take with me a summicron 75 ASPh, an Apo Telyt 135mm and a summaron 2.8 cm F 5.6 (the old one. )None of these lenses have never disappointed me.

The only lens I regret having sold was the first summilux Aspherical 35 mm, which was an outstanding lens too.

Best regards.

Dominique

• Like 1

It's funny the FLE is one of the few lenses I crave. Maybe I will be disappointed.

On the other hand out of 30 M/LTM lenses I have now, the 28 cron v1 is the best. It's so good, I often pick something else just for the challenge. ;)

I paid a fortune for it and now it's worth only about 1800. Oh well, I'll keep it.

But the 28 cron is a different lens M9 vs M240, and I wonder which the OP uses. I suppose this will start a furor, but profiles, IR cut, CMOS, whatever, the 28 cron, 50Lux asph, and the ZM 35/2 sing on the M9 pitch perfect. On the 240 they are very good, of course, but the magic is illusive. Many other lenses, like the FLE, 50 APO, SEM 21 seem great on 240.

I know all the claims about editing, and really for many lenses I think that is true, and even for these, in various situations maybe also. But a 28 cron on M9 is so jaw dropping so often....

• Like 1

Have you read this? It may help you understand the lens and why you are not enjoying it 

tashley1.zenfolio.com/blog/2013/4/leica-m-240-with-35mm-f1-4-fle---some-observations

TY for that.

The mid zone FC or dip or whatever is really made clear for the FLE. If you compare the charts, the 28 cron is near flat in comparison. At 2.8 if you go by the MTF the cron is way ahead.

Obviously the FLE is going to really take some study to use predictably. The 28 cron is so easy.

TY for that.

The mid zone FC or dip or whatever is really made clear for the FLE. If you compare the charts, the 28 cron is near flat in comparison. At 2.8 if you go by the MTF the cron is way ahead.

Obviously the FLE is going to really take some study to use predictably. The 28 cron is so easy.

The 28 summicron v1 has a lot of focus shift. My copy was berzerk, at f4 it was hitting infinity while I focused at 15 ft.

The 28 summicron v1 has a lot of focus shift. My copy was berzerk, at f4 it was hitting infinity while I focused at 15 ft.

This is bad information. Your copy may have problems, but the 28 cron v1 has no noticeable focus shift. It's been reviewed countless times in the past. I just checked both on M9 and A7.mod with live view, to make sure I had not missed something after thousands of shots. If you focus on an object at f/2 and turn the ring to 5.6 it stays in critical focus the entire way at full magnification in live view.

Certainly you might have a bad lens or poor calibration in your body. No need to slander the lens.

Lloyd did find focus shift on the v2. Of course he spouted all about it before asking for a second copy to test. I have no idea, never having seen one.

29913813301_f6fa0725b1_b.jpg

Leaf Slide by unoh7, on Flickr

Edited by uhoh7

Maybe a lemon. The used market is full of lemons.

TY, I have also made a few rash declarations, which I later amended. I appreciate your ability to admit there might be a copy issue. Nothing more frustrating than a bad lens which you had every right to expect would be great.

Lemons? The "serious" lens testers should make sure they are not testing lemons.

I never cease to be amazed at how Lloyd and Reid make pronouncements on a sample of n=1 using a retail over-the-counter or friend's loaner lens. If the results don't quite gel they may then say 'oh, perhaps this particular lens is not optimally calibrated'.  Well I don't think that's good enough. They should make sure they're supplied a Leica-optimised lens, or test a sample of three lenses, even if that requires more effort and/or cost.  No scientific journal would accept such statistically dodgy work for publication.

That is very different to our own comments on our n=1 lenses, but we are not self-proclaimed lens testing experts.  So for what it's worth, I've noticed no focus shift on my 28 Summicron ASPH v1

• Like 2

+1. I miss the serious reviewers of my youth who disclosed the serial number of tested lenses and did not draw any conclusion w/o comparing them with other copies. Also sample variation seems to be a problem with some Leica lenses like the 28/2 v2. My dealer did reject two copies of it before shipping mine for reasons i'm not aware of but i ask him to check focus accuracy among the first things to look at generally.  

• Like 1