SL on Safari

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In February I'm going back to Tanzania for my second Safari. I'm wondering if any of the members on here have taken there SL's on Safari?

It might not be as crazy as it sounds. You see I'm taking my Nikon 600mm f4 and I will have the neverflex adapter so why not. I don't think AF will work and I'm not sure if I will loose some stops but there's one thing for sure if it's possible I'm up for it.

Next week I'm going on a 2 day birding trip and will take my SL with me and use it rather than the D5. If the pictures look dog sh!t then that will help me make my mind up if I want to take it on Safari.

Anyway let the banter begin and honest feedback would be much appreciated

Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are probably better off with the 90-280. It is very precise and extremely fast and has OIS. The adapted lenses have no OIS.

Tanzania sounds like big game - so 280 is enough. And a zoom is more flexible.

Somebody has taken the 90-280 on a safari and was very happy with the results. But I cannot find the link anymore.

The 600mm is probably indispensable for birding - but elephants or rhinos tend to be easier to spot (slower and slightly bigger :) ). (What animals are promised for your safari ?)

Add a Nikon camera for the 600mm lens, it will give you VR (= OIS).

Edited by steppenw0lf

Is OIS or VR important for you ? Then there is no way around the native cameras. 

Or do you also have the Leica R modular system ? There is a Apo 5.6/800 that could be fitted to the SL. (manual focus)

I like to use the Canon 5Ds with 100-400 II. Looks very inappropriate, but you can add a 1.4x extender and still have AF and OIS. And the camera can do cropping (1.3x or 1.6x). It has then still 30MP or 20 MP with the 1.6 crop.

Altogether it is equivalent to an 400x1.4x1.6 = 900 mm lens. (with IS). Not too bad. But I actually never needed it - the 560mm was always good enough for me. (But never was in Tanzania).

I hope you have a chance to try your 600mm Nikon E lens before the safari. According to Novoflex the AF should work. I would like to hear how good or bad you found it.  (So I expect you to be the "gunny pig".   ;) ) I am also thinking about buying this adapter.

Optically it will work very well with the SL - so I see no reason why you should loose a single stop. The question is only if you find a sturdy quiet spot where to place your lens/tripod.

Edited by steppenw0lf

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Have you got an a7r2? SL is capped to 280mm with native lenses unless you use an adapter but I've heard some dodgy things about them.

My old lady got one but I hate the thing. I'll play around with the SL and 600mm and if it's not going to work then I will just use my D5

We went to safari in South Africa this October. I ended with R Apo-Modul 400/4 on Sony A7rII for 70% of shots and SL with either native 24-90 or Leica R 180 and 280 for the rest 30%.

In my experience, the sensor stabilisation makes big difference with 400mm and longer lenses. 

Ideal combination  imho would be SL plus 90-280 and a7rII with 400mm or longer lenses.

I really liked the option to just give the SL with 24-90 a light shower when things got covered with dust. :-) 

Enjoy your trip.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I don't understand using a Nikkor 600mm adapted to an SL with a D5 available. Resolution is close and the D5 will blow away the SL in a birding or safari environment. I can't think of any advantages the SL offers in those applications.

try posting pictures shot with a Nikon on the Leica forum and see how far you get......... the mods would have a field day deleting them :)

I went to Ruaha and Selous in Tanzania in september with the SL and the two zooms. I was more that pleased with the results I got. When we came home and looked at the files on a big screen i realised that the AF using one point had a hitrate > 95 %. I have been on safari a lot of times with my 1Dx but I have never had so many keepers as I had with the SL . The tracking is NOT as god as with the 1Dx but the AF works so fast that you can still be sure to get the shots precisely as you want. I have posted a picture of a charging hippo in this forum, which shows how god the AF works.

The 90-280 is an amazing lens and somehow shooting with the SL is more fun that with the 1Dx

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

The 90-280 is an amazing lens and somehow shooting with the SL is more fun that with the 1Dx

I'm sure it is but from what I can remember 280mm isn't going to be long enough and with only 24 megabytes no room for cropping. Now my S007 that I'm also taking with a Hasselblad 250mm has plenty of room for cropping......... we will see

I'm sure it is but from what I can remember 280mm isn't going to be long enough and with only 24 megabytes no room for cropping. Now my S007 that I'm also taking with a Hasselblad 250mm has plenty of room for cropping......... we will see

Neil, because of the different sensor sizes you'd have to crop an S photo taken with a 250mm lens down to about the same mp as an SL photo with a 280mm lens to get roughly the same field of view , so there's no advantage in using the S in that respect. It doesn't give you a cropping advantage with the lenses you have in mind.

• Like 1

My old lady got one but I hate the thing. I'll play around with the SL and 600mm and if it's not going to work then I will just use my D5

Yeah they are shit things, but ok for backup. I reckon use your D5 and make you missus lug the backup and nick it off her if you need to. lol

Edited by Paul J

I think there is enough room for cropping, if the lens is optimal (the 90-280 is).

Ask wildlightphoto (Doug Herr), he uses cropping all the time (he used the famous Apo R 4.0/280, but the 90-280 is not far from it regarding IQ). And his pictures of little birds and even hummingbirds are wonderful.

The high-ISO noise with the SL is "better" than the noise that the a7R II produces - so you can gain a bit by that.

It all depends, if you can live without OIS/VR. Optically the results with the 4/600 will be great, but there will simply be no vibration reduction. (Ask the driver to stop for the photos).

Edited by steppenw0lf
  • Like 1

280mm is not long enough even for big mammals. In January I used 600mm 90% of the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You really must take a look at the bush skills of your guide. I find 280 on the long side in quite a few occasions, or instance Elephants will mostly require a medium tele The 600 is more of a birding lens. I have been to Ruaha and Selous a. Few times. My standard lens was 105-280. If needed 400 and 560 for birds.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I

Neil, because of the different sensor sizes you'd have to crop an S photo taken with a 250mm lens down to about the same mp as an SL photo with a 280mm lens to get roughly the same field of view , so there's no advantage in using the S in that respect. It doesn't give you a cropping advantage with the lenses you have in mind.

i do t think so mate. 280 verses 250 is only 30mm.

Maybe there's something in the S crop factor I'm missing. Either way 280 ain't long enough

I think there is enough room for cropping, if the lens is optimal (the 90-280 is).

Ask wildlightphoto, he uses cropping all the time (he used the famous Apo R 4.0/280, but the 90-280 is not far from it).

And his pictures of little birds and even hummingbirds are wonderful.

It all depends, if you need OIS/VR. Optically the results with the 4/600 will be great, but there will simply be no vibration reduction.

many of Doug's wonderful shots were on the DMR,

I'd be quite wary of trying to AF a Nikon lens non-natively.  It's more difficult to do than with Canon, which is why there are fewer Nikon AF adaptors for Sony, etc.

Simply try it before you go on safari - then you see exactly what to expect.

(And please show the results here).   :)

Novoflex writes, that it is supported - but nobody has seen a proof.

Edited by steppenw0lf

many of Doug's wonderful shots were on the DMR,

Yes, but he made some tests with the SL and explicitly showed these results. Read the details and you will easily see the differences.

He wrote a very nice (critical) report about using the SL for birding. And I am refering to those photos.

Here on the Overgaard site:  http://www.overgaard.dk/Leica-Camera-Typ-601-The-Birdman-of-Sacramento-Douglas-Herr-takes-on-the-Leica-SL-Review-Sony-A7II-with-Wildlife-Tele-Lenses.html

And here the original:  http://www.wildlightphoto.com/SL/index.html

sorry this was not the right one http://ohm-image.net/opinion/photophile/douglas-herr-wildlife-shooting-with-the-leica-sl

Edited by steppenw0lf
  • Like 1