3D printed ALBON

mikemgb

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A person I follow on Instagram designed and printed an ALBON copy. He then made the file available to all here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1951048

Having access to a 3D printer I couldn't resist, here's mine:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I will say that it does make trimming leaders a whole lot easier and faster!

Now, Tamarkin has an original, and I have decided if he still has it when I visit in January I will probably buy it. :)

Edited by mikemgb
  • Like 11

Wonderful! I'll even buy a couple from you if you message me (honest!...not for a profit, I saw his guidelines in sharing the files...it's just that I don't have a 3D printer or know anyone who has one). This is a great idea!!

Edited by Jon Pop
  • Like 1

Wonderful! I'll even buy a couple from you if you message me (honest!...not for a profit, I saw his guidelines in sharing the files...it's just that I don't have a 3D printer or know anyone who has one). This is a great idea!!

Message Simon (PunchyPariah), I don't know if he'd be willing to make any or not but it's worth asking. I can't, the printer I use is my employers and personal use is obviously limited.

• Like 1

There are a few 3D printing services around, (Shapeways and i.materialise to name but two). You could try uploading the file to one of them and they'd print the parts for you. You'd have to clean the parts up and stick a hinge pin in it though.

I don't know how much it might cost but it definitely wouldn't be as much as an original ABLON.

As you know, the license I've imposed on my 3D file is a non-commercial one but I don't have a problem with people having it third party printed. As long as folk aren't printing and selling them to make a profit that's fine.

• 2 weeks later...

did they also print the holes where the two parts are connected with rods?

Yes, the hinge holes are there, I just had to push a paperclip through them to clear out a little debris.

And having used three films cut on mine over the weekend I can tell you it is nice to have. :)

Edited by mikemgb
  • Like 4

• 3 months later...

A person I follow on Instagram designed and printed an ALBON copy. He then made the file available to all here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1951048

Having access to a 3D printer I couldn't resist, here's mine:

attachicon.gifL1020989.JPG

attachicon.gifL1020988.JPG

attachicon.gifL1020990.JPG

attachicon.gifL1020991.JPG

I will say that it does make trimming leaders a whole lot easier and faster!

Now, Tamarkin has an original, and I have decided if he still has it when I visit in January I will probably buy it. :)

So whip out 50 more and make some money!

So whip out 50 more and make some money!

Why is there such a need for people to make a fast buck? I uploaded the file with a non-commercial license for people to download and print (or have some one print for them) for their own personal use.

I could have kept the file private, started printing and selling them myself on the auction site, but instead I decided to share it with the community and hoped it would be of use to those of us that can't afford the overly hiked prices of an original ABLON.

Maybe I'm being oversensitive about your post, maybe it's too early in the morning and I need more coffee, but I would find it extremely disheartening if someone were selling these for profit just to "make some money".

• Like 2

Why is there such a need for people to make a fast buck? I uploaded the file with a non-commercial license for people to download and print (or have some one print for them) for their own personal use.

I could have kept the file private, started printing and selling them myself on the auction site, but instead I decided to share it with the community and hoped it would be of use to those of us that can't afford the overly hiked prices of an original ABLON.

Maybe I'm being oversensitive about your post, maybe it's too early in the morning and I need more coffee, but I would find it extremely disheartening if someone were selling these for profit just to "make some money".

Hello  P. P.,

Welcome to the Forum.

It is very nice that you are doing this.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Michael

• Like 1

I thought in error that you were the creator of the link/file. Are you not? If it is your property, and considering that the vast majority of us do not own 3D printing hardware, you might consider it proper to sell your output.

Edited by pico

I thought in error that you were the creator of the link/file. Are you not? If it is your property, and considering that the vast majority of us do not own 3D printing hardware, you might consider it proper to sell your output.

You were correct in that I am the creator of the file. However, the post you replied to telling them to "whip out 50 more..." was the originator of this thread, not me.

I am the person that considered it proper to share my file for free so that people could print it (or have it printed) for their own personal use.

I'll take it that this was an oversight on your part and we can draw a line under it. I'm only here for the love of Leica.

Cheers,

Simon.

(Edited for grammar)

Edited by PunchyPariah
  • Like 3