Firmware 1.6 available

Well.... indeed... it feels like the autofocus (tested on 35 TL) is quicker in lowlight. Have to test it more.

I don't have a second body to do a real world 1.55 vs 1.6 competition. 

But everything is stable and normal so far. 

I had a kind of a glitch with EVF on - sometimes the switch / wipe between photo and playback didn't work. I had to switch the camera on and off to make it work again. I'm very curious if they fixed that. But it appears only from time to time and I have to wait if it will happen again (hopefully not). 

Your user profile is always deleted with new T firmwares and you have to set up again.

But if you wish to continue your shots numbering, all you have to do is to take a shot before installing your new firmware, then save the shot on your computer. After the new firmware is installed, before taking any shot, transfer the shot to your card, put the card in your camera and shoot. The numbering will continue instead of starting all over again!

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes. I downloaded it from the German download site and installed it.

This is the direct download link: https://de.leica-camera.com/content/download/137877/2060478/version/1/file/T701_160.tuf

Michael, thank you very much for the link. I did install the new firmware from your link. But I am very disappointed to not find it at leica.com! In this site, T has been replaced by TL, and they seem to not care about T owners anymore!... Unfortunately,  the leica customer service in New jersey, US, has also changed very much. It used to be the very best customer service you could find anywhere. They were so helpful! But now, they don't return your phone calls; they ignore your emails and any question you may have about a Leica product, etc!... This is really a pity! Their reputation was fantastic, but now they are starting to suck!... :(

Philipp, your link is for German website. The one that I always use is in English and I can't find the download page!... But I am on my iPhone right now and I must check on my computer when I get home!

Try this link

http://en.leica-camera.com/Service-Support/Support/Downloads?category=112770&subcategory=112771&type=108942&language=93871

• Like 2

I haven't upgraded  to the new firmware yet.  This past weekend I tried a 90-280 SL lens on the T and it appeared to have the OIS functioning.  The sales rep and I both thought it looked smoother in the viewfinder.  The pictures though looked slightly blurred,  compared to the 55-135 T lens the images were less sharp.   Has anyone tried the SL lenses on the T?  What kind of results did you get? 

Yep!

I was searching in the old way, true the camera listing, where T is not mentioned any longer.

But now, you can find the firmware from "support" area! It may take longer to find it; but it is there! :)

Yep!

I was searching in the old way, true the camera listing, where T is not mentioned any longer.

But now, you can find the firmware from "support" area! It may take longer to find it; but it is there! :)

The "older" cameras are listed under Service & Support - I guess the T is suddenly "old" with the addition of an 'L' to the name.  I know you mostly shoot with manual focus lenses - do you find any benefit with the new firmware?

- Vikas

• Like 1

The "older" cameras are listed under Service & Support - I guess the T is suddenly "old" with the addition of an 'L' to the name.  I know you mostly shoot with manual focus lenses - do you find any benefit with the new firmware?

- Vikas

I have not tried to shoot with the new firmware yet and I do not think it would be any different for MF. But I am planning to get a T lens for travel

I installed 1.6 last night looking forward to a noticeable improvement in AF. So at night, indoors, normal domestic lighting it couldn't find focus on anything except the table lamp using the 55-135. I don't think that's worse but the low-light autofocus is is still pretty poor (my Canon compact is many times better). I've had no chance to try it in daylight yet.

Really looking froward to the weekend though to get out and play.

What the update did do is make me review and revise my settings - probably a very useful exercise.

• Like 2

Can't unpack file, using Windows 10.

I downloaded directly from English link (http://en.leica-camera.com/Service-Support/Support/Downloads?category=112770&subcategory=112771&type=108942&language=93871) which downloads a “T701_160.tuf” a 5.76MB file from en.leica-camera.com.

Leica’s documented firmware update procedure is to then “double click on the ZIP-file to unpack it”. 

The downloaded file however is not a zip file, hence can’t unpack. 

If renaming to add a .zip extension, I get a “Cannot complete the compressed (zipped) folders Extraction Wizard; The compressed folder is empty” error.

Can't unpack file, using Windows 10.

I downloaded directly from English link (http://en.leica-camera.com/Service-Support/Support/Downloads?category=112770&subcategory=112771&type=108942&language=93871) which downloads a “T701_160.tuf” a 5.76MB file from en.leica-camera.com.

Leica’s documented firmware update procedure is to then “double click on the ZIP-file to unpack it”. 

The downloaded file however is not a zip file, hence can’t unpack. 

If renaming to add a .zip extension, I get a “Cannot complete the compressed (zipped) folders Extraction Wizard; The compressed folder is empty” error.

I ran into the exact same problem/question.  Ropo told me he just copied the tuf file and put it on the card, then into the camera.  He was right - it worked for me that way also.  I wish Leica hadn't said we had to un zip it.. I was very frustrated for a while.  Make sure your battery is fully charged and (I think)  you must have a Leica T lens on the camera - it wouldn't work with a Zeiss ZM mounted on an adaptor??

Edited by RickP
  • Like 1

I installed 1.6 last night looking forward to a noticeable improvement in AF. So at night, indoors, normal domestic lighting it couldn't find focus on anything except the table lamp using the 55-135. I don't think that's worse but the low-light autofocus is is still pretty poor (my Canon compact is many times better). I've had no chance to try it in daylight yet.

Really looking froward to the weekend though to get out and play.

What the update did do is make me review and revise my settings - probably a very useful exercise.

Same here with TL60mm lens [emoji849][emoji849][emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1