Best used 90 for m240

joshs

Curious if anyone has used the once-legendary "three-element" Elmar on the M240.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I used and use it as a Macro Lens (lenshead on bellows) : very fine for flowers... great microcontrast at 5,6/8... same League as the Elmarit 135 lenshead for same purpose (but next spring I'll go with my recently acquired Elmar 100 R....)

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

To paraphrase an old razor ad:  "for the sharpest edges ever honed, get an APO Summicron-M". All kidding aside, it is a remarkable lens, to include wide open. My backup 90mm is an APO Lanthar.  regards, Ron

Edited by Ronazle

I own an Elmarit 90 fron the early 2000's (ref. 11807) and I love it. It is a wonderful travel length, a little heavier than the macro-elmar, but also faster for lower light cases, and benefiting from an integrated sliding hood. It resists exceptionally well to flare and is able to generate sharp and contrasty images from wide open aperture. I use it a lot for landscapes and for portraits on a M-P 240 and am very happy with the results.

I am currently buying a used OUFRO (ref. 16469Y) to add even more versatility to it.

Regards,

Stef.

Edited by Bohns

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If you really want a "vintage" lens, you might consider the collapsible 90mm Elmar.  While it is supposed to be the same as the older rigid Elmar, the one I have had for almost fifty years is sharper than any of the rigid Elmars I have encountered.  It has the advantage of being smaller in a bag or pocket, but should not be collapsed on a digital M.   Regards, Ron

Re Elmar 90/4 collapsible: Mine is from 1957. Bit soft at f/4 but otherwise sharp lens indeed. Only problem is flare with this lens. 

Yes, flare is a problem with Elmars;  use of the IUFOO hood pretty much solves the flare problem and due to its inverted "standby" condition doesn't contribute too much bulk for transporting, but does involve a "set-up" time.  When mounted on the collapsible lens the hood gives it an almost "Star Wars weapon" look - not the best condition for candid photos.  There is a case for built-in sliding hoods like the Summicron 90's.  Regards, Ron

P.S.  The earlier and larger 90mm F:/2.0 Summicron has the advantage of being a quality Visoflex lens.

I love my thin TEM 90/2.8

This is the steal. Way under-rated. I have tried a number of 90s. Obviously the AA and pre AA crons are both great, but not cheap and heavy. The Elmarit-M is very strong, but harsh, and still heavy feeling as it's long. The macro is great but expensive and slow. Hex-90/2.8 is very good but calibration can be an issue. CV 90/3.5 is good but hard to find. Summarit is very good but very modern, lighter and much better handling than Elmarit-M and just as strong.

But the TE thin, last one, is super-light and at faster speeds it looks very classic. WO it's low contrast, but not at all terrible. At F/8 Puts claims it equals the Elmarit-M, which is a very high bar. They are pretty cheap too. 600 for a good copy.

32375945075_dbdbc3737c_b.jpg

L1056668-2 by unoh7, TE 90 WO slight crop foreground, but actual width

Blew the highlights on his whiskers, but got his eye, so you can see even WO the TE thin is no slouch.

32375948315_028b236c26_b.jpg

L1056666-2 by unoh7, on Flickr

I think I'll keep it :)

Edited by uhoh7

If f4 is acceptable, the 90 Macro-Elmar-M is a very, very fine lens: small size, low weight, 39mm filter thread, sharp but not clinical, pleasant colour rendering, smooth bokeh.

All true.   

The 50 2.8 Elmar M is much the same.  These 50 & 90 are my go to lenses for M9 and M6.  

You can also use a 90 2.8 thin tele Elmarit for an even more vintage look pared with 50 2.0 V3 from 1969.  That 90 is good from 6 feet to infinity, F 4 to 11.