APO 90mm dust problem

Guest camera man

Guest camera man

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Why have Leica not solved the problem of dust collecting on the inside of the glass? I have now seen four examples of NEW 90mm Summicron APOs all will the same problem. At a cost of £3,250 GBP it winds me up!

Edited by camera man

Another way of looking at this is.... there is more dust in the air between the lens and the photo subject

Huh? Seriously? Really??

Dust in a lens reduces contrast. It will also impair image Quality the closer it is to the focusing group and rear element.

Huh? Seriously? Really??

Dust in a lens reduces contrast. It will also impair image Quality the closer it is to the focusing group and rear element.

A minute amount of dust will not degrade a picture. ALL lenses have dust, ALL lenses have dust on the front optic... The notion of minute amounts of dust degrading a picture is fallacious....

Albert  :)  :)  :)

Guest camera man

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well I see it like this. I do not want Leica dust in my lens! I have no wish to pay a load of money for dust courtesy of Leica. If any body is going to put dust in the 90mm APO its going to be me by shooting with the lens.

Edited by camera man

As said, think about all the dust that's floating between you and your subject!

I think you'll find dust in any new lens (using the torch through the back method) but I'd return a lens that had obviously visible specks inside for a cleaner specimen, if only because should you decide to sell it, it would put others off.

When buying a lens,look for scratches,and obvious dust. Once satisfied buy it. Put a UV filter on it.

And start using it. Dont keep looking inside. Because it will have added more dust molecules.

Just think that dust is another undeclared element in any given consumer product.

Regarding Leica 90 APO, go for it. There is nothing better in that focal length.I bought mine secondhand but like in a new condition from an enthusiast. 

We all know that.

But saying that dust in the air is the same as dust in a lens is simply not true.

And yes, to an extent, minute dust in a lens will play on the contrast.

A minute amount of dust will not degrade a picture. ALL lenses have dust, ALL lenses have dust on the front optic... The notion of minute amounts of dust degrading a picture is fallacious....

Albert :):):)

• 2 weeks later...

If you really want to break out in hives, take a flashlight, turn it on and shine it through the rear element of your lens set at maximum aperture and look through the front element.  :o

Dust on your sensor will show up in your images; multiple particles of dust inside your lens will not degrade your image quality to the degree that it will be discernible to the human eye. 

Will million dollar laboratory instruments be able to tell there was dust inside your lens based on contrast readings?  Perhaps.  But maybe not.  Will the human eye be able to tell?  No.  Not unless the dust is thick enough to write your initials in.

Rest assured that I am obsessive about my cameras, lenses and prints.  After decades of photography, I have learned which issues and variables to be OCD about and which do not really matter.  In my experience, multiple dust particles in your lens is one of the variables that does not matter in terms of image quality. 

Resale value of the lens is another matter, but I buy my lenses to make images and prints with, not to resell.