Tripod for S

Joakim

Gitzo Mountianier long with a Manikin Head....................fantastic fantastic fantastic.....................I was luck I had the chance to try 3 Gitzo tripods and the mountaineer was bar far the sturdier of the three abd it just feeks solid. @Jeff recommended the RRS ones before but living in Malaysia you cant get them on the street you have to buy online so you don't get to try first.

I had the B55 head and sold it as its just too frigging heavy............fantastic head but heavy :(

That is why I use BH40. It works with view camera as well.

Jesse

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-850L using Tapatalk

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Jessy

I also looked at the BH40 but again seeing as I was in Malaysia I decided to go for the Mannequin and its perfect. Its light, the friction nobs are also great to work with not like some manfrono ones where there either on or off with no inbetween

Good suggestion for me to think about when I want to use something more compact. What model are you using?

Jesse

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

The bigger legs I have are the 3204. Make sure you get the newer centre column where the bottom half unscrews so you can get to ground height without changing to a shorter column. With a D4 geared head these legs hold a Pentax 645Z or Leica S pretty easily (I've done 20 minute exposures with the 645Z) and is about right for a 6'2" person to use without the centre column. I'm 5'11" and I cant quite see through the viewfinder properly with the legs fully extended and no centre column. So with the column I have a range of about 7 feet to 5 inches off the ground. 1818 grams without a head. 2800 grams with the Arca Swiss D4 geared head.

I also have a smaller set of legs for when I need to travel light but I almost always find a way to pack the 3204.

Gordon

• Like 1

So with the column I have a range of about 7 feet to 5 inches off the ground. 1818 grams without a head. 2800 grams with the Arca Swiss D4 geared head.

Did I misread the specs that list maximum height (I assume with center column extended) just over 69 inches, i.e., about 5.75 feet.  Of course the head and camera add height.

I like the RRS TVC-24 L tripod in part because it has no center column, yet still goes over 66 inches, collapses to 3.7in. and weighs 3.7 lb (1692g).  But, yes, it's expensive compared to Sirui.

Jeff

Just measured with my laser measure. Weights were as I already mentioned.

With no head and centre column down its 1460mm or 57.8 inches.

With head and column extended (remember I'm using the long/split centre column. There's also a shorter one available.) it's 1978mm (77.9 inches) plus the camera.

Without a head the lowest working point is 16cm (6.5 inches) and 10 inches with the D4G head in place. I can also reverse the column if I want to touch the camera on the ground.

Collapsed/reversed with no head is 540mm (21.25in). With D4 geared is 600mm (24 in).

Looks like my guesses were out by a couple of inches in each direction.

Gordon

p.s. I should also say I use this tripod EVERY day for work. On top of that it's travelled by 4WD, helicopter, truck and airplane over the last two years. No issues and I'd immediately replace it with exactly the same thing if it were lost/stolen.

Edited by FlashGordonPhotography
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

RRS also makes a nice leveling plate for their heads.

Jeff

I use an RRS tripod, I think it's a TVC-34. Whatever. I'm 6' and with the camera mounted on a d4 ballhead it is perfectly in alignment with my eye. I also have the leveling plate with long shaft permanently mounted, replacing whatever came with it. If you want precision that's the way to do it - RRS tripod and leveling plate and an Arca-Swiss d4. It also works perfectly with my D810 and Arca-Swiss RM3di.

Edited by Photoskeptic
  • Like 1

I use an RRS tripod, I think it's a TVC-34. Whatever. I'm 6' and with the camera mounted on a d4 ballhead it is perfectly in alignment with my eye. I also have the leveling plate with long shaft permanently mounted, replacing whatever came with it. If you want precision that's the way to do it - RRS tripod and leveling plate and an Arca-Swiss d4. It also works perfectly with my D810 and Arca-Swiss RM3di.

I also like my RRS leveling plate, mounted under a BH-55 head on a TVC 24-L.  It came in handy when I tested the S006 system a few months ago.  Over the years I've found it occasionally useful to have extension above eye level when a rock or hill (or ladder) is involved.  There's a reason Ansel built a platform on top of his car.....  https://www.lomography.com/magazine/249876-ansel-adams-standing-on-a-car-deck-and-fiddling-with-a-large-format-camera-mounted-on-a-tripod   Sometimes it helps to get high (so to speak).   :)

My lovely wooden tripod, with huge head and leveling device, was sold when I gave up large format.  

For travel and lighter use, I stick a BH-30 head on the little TQC-14 without any leveling plate.  

Tripods for courses.....or something like that.

Lately, though, I've been using my M almost exclusively, and hand held.  The tripods will come into use again once I decide on another complementary system with larger sensor and/or higher MP.  

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I also like my RRS leveling plate, camera-mounted-on-a-tripod[

Jeff

Jeff is a leveling plate different to the leveling bubbles that come with the Gitzpo montianer tripods??

Neil

I recently managed to damage my Gitzo tripod and while I can fix it with some duck tape short term I need to start looking for a new one.

Gitzo are very good on spares. I would suggest that before you do anything else, you contact them and see if the damaged parts are available. Gitzos are easy to strip down (I do so with my Gitzos every so often to clean them and re-lubricate them and my oldest (a Mountaineer) is still going strong despite having bought it used in 1980). IMO they are the best tripods available and the longevity of the ones I have is extraordinary. I have a large, old 5 series carbon fiber model much abused which is the most stable tripod I've owned or used (with the possible exception of Gitzo Studio Tripods or Studio stands - both too heavy for general outside use), and which is at the limit of carriability.I have a 1228 for general use - good in many situations - and a compact aluminium one which I bought for a song from ebay and which lives in the car.  Currently the 5 series has a large RRS ballhead fitted but I intend to sell this and will fit a geared Arca head instead. I would seriously look into spares for your Gitzo and if you don't you can sell it as it is because someone else will. RRS make very good products but are expensive (especially if you ship them to Europe) and I be really surprised if their tripods are any better (in real world usage terms of stability) than Gitzos.

But that all said as a last word: in my book there are only two types of tripod - those which hold the camera still, and those which don't.

• Like 1

Jeff is a leveling plate different to the leveling bubbles that come with the Gitzpo montianer tripods??

Neil

I suggest to use a Arca-Swiss P0, voids the need for a levelling plate because the ballhead is reversed with the panning base on top. See my article about it here:

https://vieribottazzini.com/2016/08/arca-swiss-p0-monoball-review.html

best,

Vieri

I use the TA-2 LB.....  http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/TA-2-LB-Series-2-Leveling-Base-with-Platform

While the BH-55 head has a leveling bubble already, this device makes everything quick and easy.....and much more functional.

Here's a short video (showing more than I use)...

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I use the TA-2 LB..... http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/TA-2-LB-Series-2-Leveling-Base-with-Platform

But Jeff that is for your RRS tripod right. I need something to use on my Gitzu GT 3542L

While the BH-55 head has a leveling bubble already, this device makes everything quick and easy.....and much more functional.

Here's a short video (showing more than I use)... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ewn3iHpw8NI

Jeff

But Jeff that is for your RRS tripod right. I need something to use on my Gitzu GT 3542L

Yep, sorry I don't do Gitzo.  [unfortunately the one linked in the post above is likely not nearly as sophisticated or robust as the RRS, whose locking mechanism alone is worth the price.]

You might, however, email RRS and ask if they have a compatible set-up....they often do, as it obviously expands their customer base to serve those using other systems. 

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S