Tripod for S

Joakim

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi

I recently managed to damage my Gitzo tripod and while I can fix it with some duck tape short term I need to start looking for a new one. My existing one is from the Gitzo 3-series and I am looking for something similiar, carbon fiber with a good max height  (I am 181cm), nothing to monstrous but stabble enough for using for lanscape shooting with my S-006.

What are you guys using and what do you recomend? I'm not in a hurry but I would appretiate som input, I've been looking at the RRS tripods but i am not sure about availability here in Eureop or if I must by from the US.

Cheers,

Joakim

Joakim, 

With my S006 (as well as with a Linhof 4x5) I use a Gitzo GT5562LTS with an Arca Swiss Cube. It's on the heavy (and expensive) side and the tripod height is only approx 150cm (+10cm for the cube) and it might not be the right set up for you. 

My rational was to have a tripod that could fit in a luggage (including cabin luggage if needed), but extremely sturdy to support the S or the view camera in windy conditions and with longer lenses as needed. The 6-leg tripod allows for a "compact" closed tripod while the size of a 5-series off-set the lost in sturdiness of a 6-leg over a 3 or 4-leg tripod. Overall quite happy with it. Probably an overkill. The main downside is the weight of the overall set up, partially because of the cube which is a brick. However, it is very firm and sturdy, compact and with the cube I have extreme control of leveling and framing. 

Horse for courses. 

cheers, 

Lorenzo

I have used a Berlebach wooden tripod, with leveling ball and extension column, with my view cameras for years. I continue to use it with the S. It is not as compact as a carbon fibre tripod, but the weight and load capacity are about the same. Wood also withstands impact and crush forces a little better, and the cost of replacement when that accident happens, is lower. It is also a conversation piece ;)

Jesse

Edited by djmay

RRS tripods are fantastic.. You can only buy directly from them..

I have the TVC-34 and the BH-55 ball head..   http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Heads/Ballheads?_ga=1.46948775.1282328884.1462198895

Albert :D  :D  :D  

Google is your friend. I have just bought a RRS plate from https://www.augenblicke-eingefangen.de/catalog/index.php?manufacturers_id=29.

These people also appear to be European agents: http://www.cameranu.nl/c19892/statieven-en-toebehoren/really-right-stuff.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I no longer worry about buying super expensive tripod legs. My Sirui legs get me to eye height without the centre column and are as stable as I could want. Then I just put a top end head on, which I think is much more important as even the Chinese carbon legs are now excellent. I love my D4 geared head which I use with a nodal slider to get better balance.

Gordon

I no longer worry about buying super expensive tripod legs. My Sirui legs get me to eye height without the centre column and are as stable as I could want. Then I just put a top end head on, which I think is much more important as even the Chinese carbon legs are now excellent. I love my D4 geared head which I use with a nodal slider to get better balance.

Gordon

Good suggestion for me to think about when I want to use something more compact. What model are you using?

Jesse

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I use a Gitzo 1228 Mk2 as my compact tripod. They are no longer made but can be bought off ebay. I am 6'3" and find it is adequate for my needs. I use a RRS BH40 head. There are those that will say this setup is too light for the S007 but I disagree. My longest S lens is the 100. I am sure it might not be as stable with a 180 attached but I do not own one.

I have a tall tripod - a four section Gitzo 3-series. It's not as tall as the Giant, but it goes way over my head. What's the point? Uneven terrain. It's Great to be able to stick a leg downhill or to the ground from a wall, or brace against a tree too far away. I use that fourth section more than I expected. Well, with the S, I carry a monopod on most walks, but if I need slow shutter speeds, I'm taking the tall tripod.

--Matt

Hi

I recently managed to damage my Gitzo tripod and while I can fix it with some duck tape short term I need to start looking for a new one. My existing one is from the Gitzo 3-series and I am looking for something similiar, carbon fiber with a good max height  (I am 181cm), nothing to monstrous but stabble enough for using for lanscape shooting with my S-006.

What are you guys using and what do you recomend? I'm not in a hurry but I would appretiate som input, I've been looking at the RRS tripods but i am not sure about availability here in Eureop or if I must by from the US.

Cheers,

Joakim

RRS ship everywhere, they're really good quality, the TVC 24 version is light and stiff enough for the S system, I use one with a cube, I also have a TVC-34 which is heavier but I use its less.

If you want top buy in Europe Nivo Schweitzer in Amsterdam sell RRS!! Here is the link http://www.nivo-schweitzer.nl

I prefer the taller TVC 24-L (16+" potential, yet only 4" add'l collapsed height).

Jeff

TVC 23 is also worth looking at, less sections make it lighter and stiffer, I also have  TQC 14 and its surprisingly good for its low weight and small size.

TVC 23 is also worth looking at, less sections make it lighter and stiffer, I also have  TQC 14 and its surprisingly good for its low weight and small size.

I also have the TQC-14, which I use for smaller systems (e.g., M) and for travel....great small tripod.  The TVC-24L serves when significantly more height is desired, which the TVC 23 doesn't provide (hence less sections).  And I have the tiny Leica tabletop pod....from many decades ago. I don't use tripods as much as in my film days, but in retirement these 3 are all I'll ever need....and probably more.  Whatever works.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Gitzo Mountianier long with a Manikin Head....................fantastic fantastic fantastic.....................I was luck I had the chance to try 3 Gitzo tripods and the mountaineer was bar far the sturdier of the three abd it just feeks solid. @Jeff recommended the RRS ones before but living in Malaysia you cant get them on the street you have to buy online so you don't get to try first. 

I had the B55 head and sold it as its just too frigging heavy............fantastic head but heavy :(

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I use a Gitzo 1228 Mk2 as my compact tripod. They are no longer made but can be bought off ebay. I am 6'3" and find it is adequate for my needs. I use a RRS BH40 head. There are those that will say this setup is too light for the S007 but I disagree. My longest S lens is the 100. I am sure it might not be as stable with a 180 attached but I do not own one.

Too light, and flilmsy legs

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

And I have the tiny Leica tabletop pod....from many decades ago.

Jeff

Jeff

Jeff...I bought one of those a year ago...............I love it, it goes with me everywhere...fits in the Harley Pro bag at the back :)