Updated: Rome One Challenge 2017

satijntje

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Flights are already booked for the 2017 One Challenge event :-)

Arriving 12th October, leaving on the 16th.

There was a special deal with LUXAIR today for 99 Euro both ways to Rome, so I had to react quickly.

For those that are in the neighborhood of Luxembourg, here is the deal:

http://www.luxair.lu/cms/page?p=EN,89578,1697,,1,,

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Flights are already booked for the 2017 One Challenge event :-)

Arriving 12th October, leaving on the 16th.

There was a special deal with LUXAIR today for 99 Euro both ways to Rome, so I had to react quickly.

For those that are in the neighborhood of Luxembourg, here is the deal:

http://www.luxair.lu/cms/page?p=EN,89578,1697,,1,,

Cheers

John

A man on a mission to make it three in a row :)

Talking of Popes...

The last time we were in Rome, on the recommendation of a friend, we pre-booked a visit to the excavations below St Peter's. 

You walk on an original Roman street, past family mausoleums from 2000 years ago, and can see the first depiction of Jesus anywhere in Rome. Eventually, you get to see where St Peter himself is buried, the reason why the basilica is where it is. "His" bones are on display in a glass box where he was originally interred.

The whole history of the site, and the two churches that have been built on it (the current being a replacement) is explained, as is the reason why St Peter was crucified there. The history of how they even found the tombs is interesting in itself.

I am not a believer at all - quite the opposite - but it was a fascinating, and moving, visit and absolutely well worth the small fee.

Pre-booking and asking nicely is essential.

No photography down there. No touching the walls. But a fabulous experience.

http://www.scavi.va/content/scavi/en.html

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting looking at the map (thanks for posting that Andy, and a Happy and Prosperous New Year to you), where one can see some locations that have been missed out so far, and yet should be relatively easy to get to without breaking the bank.

However, I don't want to turn this thread into a listing of places proposed by the rest of the potential attendees!  Just for folks to only think about!

Edited by spylaw4
  • Like 1

Have you booked a hotel yet John?

No Dan, I will wait until there is  better overview where the majority of the colleagues will be staying.

Anyway, it will be a very short stay for me, but this time without family that leaves me more time to meet up with you!

John

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sure, anyone can join. The picture needs to be taken either with a Leica body or lens (a Panasonic with Leica lens will do).

Sorry, no hotel recommendation, Ravi, the hotel I used the last time is permanently closed and I haven't started the research for a Rome accomodation yet.

Stefan

Edited by StS
  • Like 2

We will be there 12-16th and for the first time on any city break we have rented an apartment . It's towards the Spanish Steps area.

Will have to do some research for a dinner venue soon. If there are any locals reading with any tips for a suitable place for 40 guests, I would be pleased to hear them!

• Like 1

I think I may have found a place for dinner. It's near St Peter's, which is an excellent place in the evening when all the tourist coaches have gone.

I will make some inquires and see whether they can take 40 people. According to TA, they are good for groups. 

• Like 3

Hi there,

Been a M8 and M9 user, while being moderate active in the forum. Then a Sony entered my life and you guys know, how those things are an evil misteress.

One year foward, Sony is sold and back to Leica. So I'm quite interested in the Leica Rome Challenge and have a few questions :

- is it really open to anyone ? i.e. , I do not know anyone personally. Zero. Is it a bunch of regular people that always go ? do you guys travel in groups or alone ?

- is the thing set in stone ( the dates ) ? can I buy the plane tickets now and book Hotel ?

- I've read the Lisbon Challenge ( stupid me, was flirting with the Sony, it is my hometown ) and from what I understood the format is : dinner on friday, night out for pictures, and then on saturday lunch together, day out for pictures... then what ? dinner together and again night out for pictures ? and the sunday ? just trying to figure out the "mechanics" of the challenge and see if I go with the wife ( which is a non photographer ) and the daughters or just alone

Best regards,

GP

• Like 2

Hi GP, the challenge is indeed open to anyone, we are always happy to welcome new participants. In Lisbon, we had people from ten nations, I think. It is always an interesting mix of new faces and old friends. Most of it is self-organized; the only points required are to turn up at the meeting point (typically a café), declare you lens (focal lenght), camera body and film (or digital ISO setting) and pay your entry fee of 10 EUR. The future is always unpredictable, however, in the past, the date has been set in stone since 2004. There might be travel changes for some, however, the group is large enough that the Challenge will take place in any case (we were 30-ish participants in Lisbon and 39 at the dinner). Personally, I'm relying on it enough for booking flights and hotel after the Melbourne job is done.

The typical schedule is meeting at Saturday (typically the 2nd Saturday in October), typically 12:00, take off for the challenge afterwards, where you have two hours to take 36 pictures. If you like, you can also join the dinner on Saturday evening but should declare your participation ahead to allow booking of the place. Some people book their hotels individually, some people book the same hotel in groups, which will be discussed here, if you are interested to join.

Lots of information can be found in the Lisbon instructions, if it isn't the discussion you already found. If you read through this discussion, you will find some pictures with the size of the group.

Stefan

• Like 2

- is it really open to anyone ? i.e. , I do not know anyone personally. Zero. Is it a bunch of regular people that always go ? do you guys travel in groups or alone ?

• Absolutely. As Stefan has said, all forum members are very welcome to join the Challenge. Many attend with wives, husbands, partners and sometimes children. There are lots of attendees who have been regulars over the years (two of us have been to every European Challenge since they started in London) and it's great to catch up with people. It's also great to meet new local members at each venue. 

- is the thing set in stone ( the dates ) ? can I buy the plane tickets now and book Hotel ?

• The date is absolutely set for this year. Our flights are already booked, as is the apartment that we are renting. Since around 2006, it has always been on the weekend around about the 12-15th October.

- I've read the Lisbon Challenge ( stupid me, was flirting with the Sony, it is my hometown ) and from what I understood the format is : dinner on friday, night out for pictures, and then on saturday lunch together, day out for pictures... then what ? dinner together and again night out for pictures ? and the sunday ? just trying to figure out the "mechanics" of the challenge and see if I go with the wife ( which is a non photographer ) and the daughters or just alone

• The only "formally" arranged part is the meeting up for lunch on the Saturday and the Challenge itself. For about the last 8-9 years, we have arranged a dinner on the Saturday night and have been getting 40 people or so attending that. Lots of people do arrive on the Thursday or friday before the Challenge and there are informal ad-hoc get-togethers arranged. Not everyone attends the earlier meetings though.
  • It really has become more of a social occasion over the years, with the Challenge forming just a part of the whole weekend.

Hope to see you in Rome!

• Like 1

Hi there,

Been a M8 and M9 user, while being moderate active in the forum. Then a Sony entered my life and you guys know, how those things are an evil misteress.

One year foward, Sony is sold and back to Leica. So I'm quite interested in the Leica Rome Challenge and have a few questions :

Best regards,

GP

To add to what StS has said, family members are also welcome. There's probably about 20% of people with spouses who come along for the ride and have a great time. We've had some young ones too.

My wife, Ritsuko, always enjoys meeting others who come along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk