Noctilux for the S007

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Probably a Fuji GFX.

I don't do ugly cameras

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I don't do ugly cameras

Should really do one with the eye finder off.. Hahahah

Anyway, This will definitely work compare to the S. Burnt too heavy by this system, 2 times out of the S and left with a bitter taste in my mouth... Worse camera system I have the unfortunate opportunity to own... and I have owned quite a bit...

I am now left with Sigma... and Alpa Phase

If you want to buy my S system, give me a shout................I'm planning to sell the S system and buy a M240 with 1/2 a dozen M lenses, and live miserably ever after :) :)

Just ship it to me and I'll relieve you of all stress over weight, repairs, delays, etc.  And I'll send you a free book.

Jeff

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Just ship it to me and I'll relieve you of all stress over weight, repairs, delays, etc.  And I'll send you a free book.

Jeff

The last bloke gave me a book and a thumb drive :) :) :) 

Neil I feel your Leica service pain. My original MM had so many problems that required soo many trips from California to New Jersey. This was my first digital Leica and it was a shocking experience after all the hard earned cash I laid out for the thing. My second digital Leica was a X Vario I won in a photo contest. It just up and died on me (a few months out of warranty). It has been in New Jersey for at least 6 months now and they don't even bother returning my calls or emails. '

I had lusted after an S for years and when I finally had the $ saved up I was looking to possibly buy a used 006. I thought about it long and hard. 

I ended up buying a Pentax 645z. It is quite ugly. But you know what....that thing just works. I haven't had one problem with it. It always keeps the sensor nice and clean. I can adjust the autofocus of each lens through the camera menu! That would have required month long trips for an S. The pentax lenses are cheap and good. I just made a 160cm x 100cm print that is absolutely mind blowing.

For me, Leica will always be about my M6 and 50 lux. A beautiful finely crafted instrument that works and works and works. 

Digital red dots? No thanks!

David

When I had the Noctilux and used it on a 240 it was my go to lens, I used it for everything, including long exposures, Panoramas and head jobs. Just because it had a aperture of 0.95 didn't mean to say that it had to be shot at 0.95. I just liked the rendering of the lens and most of the time didn't shoot it fully open.

Fred, I do understand what you are saying regarding not using a Noctilux wide open on an M. Leica loaned me a demo current one and an M for when I dropped mine. I tried it wide open of course and a couple of days walk around but actually used it mainly stopped down in a studio. For me, where I didn't need the fastest apertures for my style, I found it heavier and larger than I like and at comparable apertures I didn't notice any difference in comparison to mr Summilux.

I can only imagine that the same situation would be scaled up with a hypothetical Noctilux S 70, which was the thrust of my comment in my first reply. If Leica Canera were to make such a lens I think it would perforce be huge and hugely expensive......and people would buy them! I really do think that the Summicron S 100 embodies almost exactly what you value though

Cheers

Not David

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

If Leica made a 63mm f1.4, which is a 50mm f1.1 in 35mm terms, and made one with an AF motor that didn't break, I would buy a Leica S.

Dont it will break :(

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Only if you buy one perhaps Neil  :D  :p 

Haven't broken my 70 or 120 yet with 30,000 plus exposures thus far.

You know its just around the corner :) :) 

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Even spell check won't help your understanding.... it's a Summarit (f2.5), not a Summilux (f1.4)

Jeff

Cheers Pal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suggest you research medium format vs 35mm lenses, not just Leica.

Then add to that Leica's emphasis on S lens quality, not size.  And include AF in that equation.  You think you have issues with S system size and weight now?

On top of that, if you're really serious about the notion of an S Noctilux, consider the build difficulty for the 50mm-M Noctilux f0.95 (LFI has an article from February, 2010 that will enlighten.)  Translate that to the S.   :o

Then consider price and market demand.  But then I guess there's a buyer for just about anything in Leica-world (or Neil-world).

Jeff

I can't image a Noctilux-S, in the truest sense of f0.95 - f1.2, is is ever going to happen. But a summilux may possibly happen and it will give the same sort of look.

I think the only real prohibitive factor is market demand, something only Leica can fully say. I can't imagine there are going to be a lot of S cameras sold because of the problems which continue to be unresolved and for what other systems are available in this day and age.

I have considered, very closely, the S, I like the images it puts out. But there is no reason for me to go there when there are systems on offer with great reliability, a set of specs that I need now (not in the hope they makes something in the future) and have greater potential to be around for at least another decade. It does not seem like a safe or wise investment at the moment.

Edited by Paul J