Leica M8 2016? Do you stay with the D-Lux 109?

roshuu

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I have a question about the Leica M8. I would like to purchase this camera and Voightlander 35 / 1.4 + UV / IR but I'm not entirely convinced. I mean mainly the color images, ISO comparing a little bit to my current Leica D-Lux 109. From what I could find to write that the D-Lux is better for ISO and utilities but the more I look at the color, sharpness and noise is not important for me. Some time ago, before I bought the 109 tested M9 but I have no comparison to the D-Lux ... Leave the M8 in peace? It will not be me become a better lens than the Voigtlander 35 or up to 35 Summarit D-Lux for color and "soul Leica" enough?

Thank you very much

Comparing the D109 to the M8 is a bit strange. They are not in the same category.

If you like to use a rangefinder, the M8 is of course the one to choose.

If you like to play with DOF a 1,33 crop is a world of difference with a 2x crop

The M8 allows use of a vast range of M lenses, the D109 only has one.

OTOH the D109 does things the M8 can not... like video, zoom, auto focus, high ISO....

But all these have nothing to do with IQ. Put your M8 at ISO 160 and it will beat the D109 hands down (only if you are prepared to shoot RAW and PP properly of course)

With the M8 you will have to work harder to get good results, but when you hit the sweet spot, there is no comparison. So if you are prepared to work around the limitations of the M8 it is the better choice.

the M8 produces the best B&W images apart from the monochrom.

It is probably the sharpest 10MP camera ever.

For color, the M8 always needs a good UV/IR filter on the lens IMO. 

Even then the color is fine, but not on par of the M9 (which is among the best of Leica digital Ms) Some PP skills will be required to get the most of it, certainly in color.

• Like 2

Cannot say anything about jpegs sorry. I've been shooting raw on both Panasonic LX100 and Leica M8.2. As much as i like the little LX100, the M8.2 plays in another league if you don't need more than 640 iso. I have the CV 35/1.4 SC also but it has too much focus shift and flare. Best 35 for the M8 is 35/2.5 to me. Now the M8 has a motor/shutter noise that some people cannot bear at all. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you for your answers, chooses the M8 in that case.
So even at the margin I ask - or D-LUX 109 can be compared to "Leica color"?
You are watching a jpg file with the D-LUX 109 you can say "Yes, it is the Leica jpg"?
I like this camera, because it is handy but if it's just the "red dot" and nothing more is probably sell it.

As lct put it, the M's are in an other league. Not only color, but micro contrast, DOF, 3D look...

Also, the usage is very different. As I see it, the D109 is more convenience oriented.

As Ansel Adams once put it lwhen he went off to Yosemite park : "Always take the largest camera you can carry..."
If he would only have had the M8 and the D109 to choose from, he would not have had a single doubt :)

i never tried the new Dlux 109, but i have an M8 and use it along with a PenF which might be very similar to the 109.

if you never used a rangefinder before and are satisfied with the picturequality of the 109: stay with the 109. it will serve you with low-iso and -jpg images that you can use just out of cam. autofocus will help aou to sharp images and the built-in lens will  not allow dirt on the sensor as it won't come off at any time. the 109 is just a great cam to produce a quick and sharp image that ypou can use.

but if you plan on affording an extra rangefinder for the joy of using a leica: go ahead. the M8 is a great tool to use, once you learn how to use ist. it takes a while to find out about the framecovering in the rangefinder and manual focussing as well takes a while to get used to. to use your files out of the M8 you will soon find the right rawconverter for aour needs. you will spend hours in front of your monitor, building presets for rawconverting the.dng-files out of your M8. and you will be very happy about every frame you complete to a great result.

but there will be mor work for you. with each and every frame.

so: if you want to spend time with your camera and your photography and are willing to learn: go for the M8. if you need quick and good results: stay with the 109.

• Like 1

Of course, I wanted to work on a rangefinder, I do not have to always have AF :)
So radiator manufacturer word should have M8 and D-Lux 109.

So even I wonder whether it is better to buy:
1. Leica M8 + Voigtlander 35 / 1.4 or 50mm
2. Sony A7 + Summilux 35 / 1.4 apsh or Summicron 50mm

It is mainly about the colors "Leica look". Is it the lens or the matrix gets you so good colors?

Been using Leicas for 30+ years and i don't know yet in what consists the "Leica look" exactly. If you mean the rendering of current Leica cameras, you must like contrasty results with saturated colours i guess. Easy to get that kind of rendering if you shoot raw with Leica lenses on either M8 or Sony A7 cameras.  As far as Voigtlander (aka CV) lenses are concerned i can advise the 50/2.5 but i prefer Leica 50/2.8 and 50/2.5 personally. The CV 50/2.5 is a very good lens though. Same for the CV 35/1.4 if you use it on a Sony A7 but it has too much focus shift  to be used on an M8 comfortably.

• Like 1

My CV 35/1.4 SC suffers a lot from focus shift indeed. As for Sonys, my experience is limited to my own A7s modified by Kolary Vision. You may wish to ask further questions to other colleagues here or on good Sony forums like:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/1064?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=mainmenu&utm_medium=text&ref=mainmenu 

• Like 1

M8 works beautifully with the Voigtländer 35/1.4 Nokton. This has been my main combo for a few years.

How is it with these frames it is because here the object is greater than the 35mm frame (45mm, apsh). As you're right?

Could I litter several jpg straight from the M8?