What non Leica S lenses can be used on the S007 and retain AF

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Simple question,

What Non-Leica S Lenses can be successfully used on the Leica S007 while retaining AF. Please include details of adapter needed.

Why am I asking this............because I fancy trying some wide and long lenses on my S007 :)

Neil

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Only Hasselblad H and Contax 645 with the Leica adaptors, comes backs to the often asked question (use search) where the H300 and Contax 350 are the only long lenses with AF that will work.

john

John

Hasselblad have 2 x 300mm lenses I guess the older one going for $4300 verses the newer one going for $6000 which has the leaf shutter, which I am not sure would work with the S007.

I have the Hassy V250 which I love but i'm looking for something with AF to take on Safari with me in Feb

The leaf shutter works with the "Leica S-Adapter H" with all Hasselblad H lenses that feature this up to 1/750th of a second. 

All Contax 645 lenses work amazingly on the Leica S bodies with the "Leica S-Adapter C" I use the: 35/45/120/140/210. The available Contax 645 lenses are:

1:3,5/35mm

1:2,8/45mm

1:3,5/55mm

1:2,0/80mm

1:4,0/120mm (APO MAKRO amazing lens! does 1:1 without adapter, but only manual focus)

1:2,8/140mm 

1:4,0/210mm 

1:4,0/350mm (APO very heavy and expensive, but great optics and the longest AF lens you can get for Leica S)

MUTAR x 1,4 (works with 350/210/140/120 lenses)

I have also used the "Leica S-Adapter H" with the 300mm Hasselblad lens:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jipvankuijk/albums/72157663297936552

Edited by jip

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Indeed, and probably cheaper as it only needs a dumb adaptor like the Hasselblad V lenses....

john

John is that the same adapter that I already have V to S

Indeed, and probably cheaper as it only needs a dumb adaptor like the Hasselblad V lenses....

john

Metabones makes one that's about a third the price of the Leica:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/983807-REG/metabones_mb_ls_m645_bm1_mamiya_645_lens_to.html

Lens is available used:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Very-Rare-Mamiya-A-300mm-f-2-8-APO-for-Mamiya-645-w-Trunk-from-Japan-0180-/122220913697?hash=item1c74ef2421:g:11YAAOSwR5dXSHiV#viTabs_0

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Sorry I missed the no AF bit. I have that already with my Hasselblad 250mm Supercronamatic....................I want AF??

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

If you want AF get the Hasselblad 300mm with the "Leica S-Adapter H" or the Contax Zeiss 350mm with Leica S-Adapter C"

Theses a Duch bloke on eBay selling a brand new one but he is being a pr!ck about the price and shipping so as far as I'm concerned he can shove it where the sun doesn't shine. Im not going to Tanzania until Feb so plenty of time to try and find another one ;)

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

If you want AF get the Hasselblad 300mm with the "Leica S-Adapter H" or the Contax Zeiss 350mm with Leica S-Adapter C"

Jeff

Hasselblad have two versions of the 300mm. both f4.5 but one is 2000 buchs more expensive. Also seeing as I will eventually get the X1D, should that change my mind on which one to get??  

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Jeff, is this Contact Lens easily hand holdable?? My plan is to take it with my D5 plus 600mm f4 and my S007 120mm and either the Contact or Hasselblad.........what do you think??

The Contax 350/4 Apo for Contax 645 is definitely not handholdable. You can google the specs. Weighs about 4kg. The Hassy lens is 300mm and f4.5 and is smaller and lighter. My recommendation is the Hassy lens (I have one; used to have the Contax when I shot with the C645, so speaking from experience).

Edited by albireo_double

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

The Contax 350/4 Apo for Contax 645 is definitely not handholdable. You can google the specs. Weighs about 4kg. The Hassy lens is 300mm and f4.5 and is smaller and lighter. My recommendation is the Hassy lens (I have one; used to have the Contax when I shot with the C645, so speaking from experience).

So would you say that the Hassey is easy enough to handhold for a few burst shots??

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Can the Hasselblad only be used with its leaf lens, or can the S FP shutter work? If the former I doubt you could hand-hold well as top speed is 1/400th I think....

john

Not sure what your trying to say mate.............if its on the S007 then that is what determines the shutter speed ..........isnt it??

So would you say that the Hassey is easy enough to handhold for a few burst shots??

Yes, manageable, especially with the S007 where you can dial the ISO up and shoot at shorter shutter speeds. The lens is about 2kg, i.e. about half of what the Contax weighs. Even so, it is always better to shoot with some support though, e.g a bean bag (I am thinking a safari here). And of course the lens can be used with either of the FP and CS shutters, like all Hassy HC lenses when used with an S camera. I think it goes up to 1/800s in the CS mode and syncs flash up to that speed also. And with the FP shutter in use, as you say, shutter speed determined by the camera.

Can the Hasselblad only be used with its leaf lens, or can the S FP shutter work? If the former I doubt you could hand-hold well as top speed is 1/400th I think....

john

Not sure what your trying to say mate.............if its on the S007 then that is what determines the shutter speed ..........isnt it??

The hasselblad lenses have a central shutter which you can CHOOSE to use just like any Leica CS lens. 

You can just use the focal plane shutter of 1/4000 of the Leica S2/S006/S007. AND if you want you can use the Hasselblad Leaf/Central shutter.