Ventilated Lens Shade for the Leica Q

Lucky

Is there there anyone out here who is using the Ventilated Lens Shade for the

Leica Q made by/offered by Thorsten Overgaard?

Looks like a great option for the use of filters. And please no meaningless discussions about the price tag!

Looks like a good idea but can't tell much from his photos of the hood. I need enough room to manipulate a polarizing filter. Anyone tried it?
  • Like 1

FWIW I can manipulate a polarizing filter under the stock hood.  After a bit of practice you'll stop getting your finger prints on the filter.  I do have to remove the hood to install/remove the filter.  I don't find that to be a big deal.

I using a Marumi DHG Super Circular PL 49mm filter.

• 9 months later...

I just received mine.  The fit and finish is very nice.  It is about 1-1.5mm longer than the original hood.  The lens cap that was supplied with it works very well.  Functionally, I like the cap better than the 49mm Leica Lens cap for the 135mm lens.  The cap supplied by Overgaard is a little easier to grip than the Leica cap and can be operated by pinching in the center or gripping on the edge like you would with the Leica cap.  The hood sure makes it easier to insert/remove  or operate filters such as the polarizer.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Great piece of work....here you go....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Is there there anyone out here who is using the Ventilated Lens Shade for the

Leica Q made by/offered by Thorsten Overgaard?

Looks like a great option for the use of filters. And please no meaningless discussions about the price tag!

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

I really wonder why anybody would want to use a ventilated shade on an EVF camera. It makes no sense, The slits are to enable the view through an optical viewfinder... :rolleyes:

With a polarizing filter it is difficult if not near impossible to rotate the polarizer with the stock lens shade. The larger ventilated shade makes it easy peasy.

• Like 1

With a polarizing filter it is difficult if not near impossible to rotate the polarizer with the stock lens shade. The larger ventilated shade makes it easy peasy.

While it's clearly not as easy as on my Canon lenses, I don't have a difficult time rotating a polarizer on the Q with the hood in place. I just touch the edge of the filter and move it around using multiple pushes. I rather prefer the Q hood and its minimalist solution. My wife agrees even with long fingernails it's not overly difficult. Personal preference I guess.

I realized that I installed the polarizer in front of a UV filter thus it is more forward and probably a bit easier to touch and move. I am concerned about IQ reduction using stacked filters. FYI.

Edited by Infiniumguy

Yes that is fast! Well if you desire thr spiffy red color vented hood that he offers,that would match your bright red hand strap, let me know prior to my ordering a black one and I'll purchase your used black one and cap. My strap currently is black. Can easily meet you at the same local Starbucks we met last time (some time ago).

Dave (D&A)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Batman57

Each to his/her own, I guess. BUT on a point of practical utility rather than aesthetics, does anyone know whether the Overgaard (red or black) actually shades the lens as well as the default version? Superficially I would say not given the distance of the outer edges from the glass of the lens but that may be an optical illusion. I would also be concerned about dust entering through the ventilation slots. The default version provides a relatively dust free enclosure.

• Like 1