Leica M 10

rijve044

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ive been shooting with M bodies for 30 years and have never owned a half case...for that matter, I don't personally know anyone that uses one.

I have both my M9 and MM in Artisan and Artist half cases. They are wonderfully tactile and improve the grip on the M substantially. They are also beautifully crafted pieces of art. I highly recommend them.

I have both my M9 and MM in Artisan and Artist half cases. They are wonderfully tactile and improve the grip on the M substantially. They are also beautifully crafted pieces of art. I highly recommend them.

yes its certainly a personal preference. The point is we all don't use one, I would guess that far fewer people use a half case than those like me that shoot naked. :)

• Like 2

..the tripod mount is in quite a different position to that of my M240 baseplate

& does "type 3656" mean its going to have a 36mp sensor?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Arte Di Mano, you mean?

Yes, thanks. Getting my accessory brands confused, haha. I am a big fan of the extra grip the case adds, and I always felt that too much had been made of the size of the M240, but the weight difference to the M9 is definitely noticeable. Either way, a lot of people have been clamoring for a smaller body, and I do believe that Leica listens. I am excited to see how much of the SL technology will be implemented in the next M. The SL is certainly lightning fast, and imho has very nice color rendition.

• Like 1

Technology allows me to shoot fast with compact cameras and to get clean high iso pics in total silence already. If Leica can do the same with the M10 or whatever, i will believe that for the first time, a digital M can reach or exceed the level of its film precursors.

Well, for my ears the M262 already has less noise than the M4, and certainly below 1/15, this M262 has a new shutter and I don't expect another new one so soon in an M10

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I keep hoping for a electronic global shutter - i.e. totally silent :

CMOSIS seem to be progressing that in industrial applications, but no doubt it is a few generations too early for stills cameras where the need is for very high SNRs.

Edited by FrozenInTime
  • Like 1

I will stick to my M9 if the SL sensor comes into the M10.

BTW, qua marketing the name M10... I don't know. Strange also, because Leica had a very clear opinion that this name M10 wouldn't work at the introduction of the M....... 240.

• Like 1

I keep hoping for a electronic global shutter - i.e. totally silent :

CMOSIS seem to be progressing that in industrial applications, but no doubt it is a few generations too early for stills cameras where the need is for very high SNRs.

Nice thought, it would certainly eliminate a bulky component - and force a change in exposure measuring

Panasonic has some interesting technology:

The use of an OPF layer for photoelectric conversion instead of a photodiode allows a global shutter to be implemented in a completely different way compared to traditional sensors. A conventional CMOS image sensor with global shutter requires charge storage near the photodiode. As explained above this reduces the area of each photosite (pixel) that can be sensitive to light, and allows only a limited capacity for charge storage, limiting the maximum saturation value (dynamic range).

Fromm this site: https://www.cinema5d.com/new-panasonic-opf-cmos-global-shutter-sensor-technology-revealed/

If lower weight than the 240 is maintained and live view offered at Q quality (whereby I could reuse the macro adapter), rather than T EVF, I think I would be tempted to replace my 262 (with back screen!). ISO thumbwheel is of no interest to me; and do SL users find its sensor altogether superior to those in the current M digital range? But I guess UK price would be more than £5k   :( .

Edited by microview

Wild speculation: What if the M10 has no LCD screen and handles LV/menus only through WiFi cellphone and removable EVF? Note that the spy photographs are careful not to show the back of the camera, nor a straight top view.

• Like 5

I will stick to my M9 if the SL sensor comes into the M10.

BTW, qua marketing the name M10... I don't know. Strange also, because Leica had a very clear opinion that this name M10 wouldn't work at the introduction of the M....... 240.

The more I read, the more convinced I am that the M10 will not be the successor to the M 240.

Leica must have realised long ago that whichever direction it follows with the M-line, traditionalist or futuristic, it will lose a lot of customers. It has to do both to maximise the potential of the M line, but both fully contemporary and traditionalist are no longer compatible in one body without serious compromises.

So the M10 will give us a body that is the closest digital equivalent Leica can come up with to the beloved film Ms. And the M 240 will be succeeded by another M with the highest tech Leica wants to use in a camera recognisable as an M.

Everything Leica has done since they thought about naming the M typ 240 seems to point in this direction.

• Like 5

Wild speculation: What if the M10 has no LCD screen and handles LV/menus only through WiFi cellphone and removable EVF? Note that the spy photographs are careful not to show the back of the camera, nor a straight top view

I hope , I'd like no screen at all and a good app

The more I read, the more convinced I am that the M10 will not be the successor to the M 240.

Leica must have realised long ago that whichever direction it follows with the M-line, traditionalist or futuristic, it will lose a lot of customers. It has to do both to maximise the potential of the M line, but both fully contemporary and traditionalist are no longer compatible in one body without serious compromises.

So the M10 will give us a body that is the closest digital equivalent Leica can come up with to the beloved film Ms. And the M 240 will be succeeded by another M with the highest tech Leica wants to use in a camera recognisable as an M.

Everything Leica has done since they thought about naming the M typ 240 seems to point in this direction.

It' a nice theory and I hope you are right but it collapses when you take the M-D into account. Surely that model would fall into the "classic" category and yet it is an M262.

What is it with this obsetion with thinner body I don't get it ?

I do not find the handeling any different between my M3. and my M240

Most of us have the body in a half case anyhow

My sentiment exactly all my Ms have been nicely wrapped in halve cases making it nicer more secure to hold. How much thinner do you want the M to be and exactly why?